Europa League Mini Tournament 2020

There are couple of native English members in this forum so they can enlighten us on the weaknesses of Wolves. I watched them against Beşiktaş in this season’s group stage, which didn’t fare well for our Beşiktaş side. They play fast fluid football, but that’s all I know of them.

No matter how strong the opposition is, I want Sevilla to do what they did against Rome. Play possession football and let the experience speak for itself. After all we are the kings of this competition. Am I right?

3 Likes

Me too man, last game got me more and more stoked!

3 Likes

Haven’t followed them in EPL or even in EL (except the match vs. Olympiacos last night). However, what I’ve read from their forums is that they have not been in a good form coming back after the pandemic pause. Meanwhile, we have been. However, every team at this point is strong enough to beat their opponents, especially with the one off matches in the improvised system. So let’s see what happens, it will be interesting for sure.

4 Likes
2 Likes

A huge blow for them, along with Podence who is suspended on a yellow, a very tricky and quick winger.

1 Like

Did we play in Duisburg, then travel back to Seville to then travel back to Germany again? If so that is bloody madness. :scream:

I thought we had an advantage already being out there.

1 Like

25 man squad for the Wolves game. Which includes 4 goalkeepers. :laughing:

Rony Lopes and Nemanja Gudelj the only two first team players missing.

3 Likes

Quite unnecessary traveling… not sure why they did it, usually doesn’t work that way and teams set up camps in the cities where they are going to play the remainder of the tournament (like World Cup or Euro etc.)

3 Likes

Rony Lopes is not needed and was a surplus from the beginning, if you remember a post I made a while back :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Gudelj, he causes some stupid fouls in danger zones at times and is careless when tackling, but he would provide some fresh legs and we’d need the fighting spirit especially if we are winning the matches later in the second halves.

3 Likes

We’ll officially face Man Utd in the semis if we get past Wolves tomorrow night.

2 Likes

Man Utd is one of the clubs I despise. Hope we can meet them and send them home. They had a very impressive run towards the end just like Roma did, just like we did (are doing) but needed the additional time and a penalty to deal with Kopenhagen (with all due respect). We beat them in CL before and they are very doable these days as well.

Let´s deal with Wolves first, show our best and chase that new record of europa league titles. I am more confident about this one than about Roma. Vamos Chicos!

2 Likes

I would say I fear Wolves more than I do Manchester United. Wolves with Traore and Raul have players who can do some damage.

Manchester United are weak at the back. As long as we hold firm defensively and take our chances up top we should be able to despatch them. Got to get there first though.

3 Likes

Any one watched the game? I just know Man Utd had 13 shots on goal and it was down to the Koebenhaven keeper who kept them in it till Man Utd got their expected penalty - it’s their 21st and they have been awarded the most penalties in Europe by far, ugh.

Before the break, Man Utd were pretty pitiful but the signing of Bruno Fernandes has jolted everything into place and he pulls the strings in the hole, the front three of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are all fast and agile; interesting matchup but Sevilla need to get there first. Wolves are on their 50+ game so Sevilla may have an edge.

3 Likes

I say bring the English teams on! Will be great to send both of them home as we advance to another final. Vamos Sevilla!

5 Likes

As for Adama Traore, he’s a good player, but nothing spectacular as they make of him among the Wolves supporters (I’ve browsed their forums for a few days now to see their overall mentality).

He became a ‘bodybuilder’ in England as Chris said before and is nothing but pace and physical strength. However, that does not get you far in football - without a good vision for passing, crossing or playmaking, sniff for a goal (Cristina) etc. There is a reason he is not being called up for Spain and Navas is at 34 y/o (now 35 in November).

He tracks back at defense at times and could make a decent modern LB, suitable for a 3-5-2 formation, but at a winger role he’s often too full of himself and wastes chances continuously. The ‘greasing’ as Tim said was too far fetched and it definitely shouldn’t be allowed, but any clever full back with the help of a clever left CB would contain him any time, not allowing that one-dimensional player do any damage. I hope Reguilon and Diego Carlos are up for the task tonight, as to not allow us to concede from any stupid counter that they might have, as that’s all that they might have tonight. Player for player we are at least 1 level better, so on paper we should be through, but you never know in football.

3 Likes

To draw a comparison, Ocampos is a lot more effective and very much a better overall player than the artificially pumped Adama. Ocampos (imo) could walk into any top team as of now while Adama couldn’t, because of the style of play and everything. If he causes us headaches tonight, it is only our defenses fault and not because his skills or anything of that matter. A patient and clever defense could handle him any given day, while the same cannot be said for Ocampos as he has much more tricks up his sleeve (plus he can be a goalie too :stuck_out_tongue:)

5 Likes

If only we had another Ben Yedder to bring down the Red Devils. Having a striker of his abilities can sometimes be the only way that determines who goes through in such tight clashes.

4 Likes

Some CL ‘mini-tournament’ games to watch for fun now before going back at it on Sunday vs. Man Utd.

I expect the following to go through: PSG, Atletico, Barcelona and City - should make for some very interesting semis.

1 Like

Yeah looking forward to them matches. Some great ties to enjoy. I enjoyed the mini tournament for both CL and Europa. After this there isn’t long before the new season back either haha!

1 Like

That’s the best thing (not a lot of absence before the next action)… I mean for us fans not the players perhaps. Not sure how the 2020-21 season will pan out but there will be tired legs all around the globe, except maybe for France, Netherlands, Belgium and such that cancelled their leagues.

2 Likes