Europa League Mini Tournament 2020

Don’t mind me chaps, I thought I’d start a little thread with regards to this mini Europa League tournament we are due to embark upon in a few weeks.

We definitely have the team to go all the way (obviously will be keeping a keen eye on Bayer Leverkusen too). Kind of hoping the two don’t end up having to meet in it, but that won’t happen until the Final if at all anyway.

Vamos mi Sevilla!!!

3 Likes

Yeah we have great momentum and confidence heading into our favourite competition. Let’s make it 6 europa’s! Vamos Sevilla!

2 Likes

Within 2 weeks all of those games, really hyped to see something like this, without all the long breaks in between the rounds liken normal.

3 Likes

I agree in a funny way it’s worked out well. As the excitement and football keeps coming. Due to the coronavirus pandemic there is now not many long breaks as we had it. We came back great and secured top 4 and remained unbeaten. Now we have the excitement of the europa league in August to come. Furthermore, the transfer window opens around then too so a chance to boost the squad with some talented players in August and September. Then new season expected to start in late September. Lots to look forward too in a short space of time.

I kind of feel the break benefitted us massively. We came back in great form, with a fully fit squad and with a positive mindset. I just hope for the new season we can have the fans back or at least some of them. The Sevilla fans will be itching to get back with the way things are going currently. Football needs the fans but of course it all depends on the virus. Fingers crossed on that.

2 Likes

It’s interesting how the players of all teams have gradually been accustomed to playing without fans. The first 3 games or so since the restart of the league have been very sluggish and probably felt like training friendlies for the players. But then it got more intense as the weeks passed, now it’s still not the same without fans but it’s quite close at times (the intensity of the matches).

A good thing that Switzerland allowed up to 1000 spectators in the stadium, so it’s a sign of hope that the new 2020-21 season will start with fans, along with the national team matches from September.

Anything can happen in this mini-tournament, mostly because of the short time-frame of the format, everything will be decided in 2 weeks, compared to normal EL or CL where 2 weeks would mean the end of a 2 legs tie, often even 3 weeks for that.

I see this more as a bonus performance for the fans watching from the TV, it will be great to see us play again very soon, especially after finishing 4th. No pressure on us whatsoever, and I really expect us to beat Roma, who are not in a good form.

Rangers (EL), PSG and Lyon (CL) will have a hard time to get back on the competitive side of football after the Scottish league and Ligue 1 have not finished what was left before the pandemic measures.

Let’s see what happens!

4 Likes

Rangers got taken apart by Bayer Leverkusen in the first leg, they won’t come back regardless.

There is talk of Premier League games having crowds of 30-50% capacity from October, so something to be positive about.

2 Likes

Roma gradually getting on form just as they’re about to play us…

2 Likes

Did they give rest to some or are they just that broad of a squad. Dzeko, Perotti, Veretout, Mkhitariyan and Pastore just as unused substitutes, seems quite luxorious. They still need to confirm 5th place as well… Although SPAL is dead last, well… Be ready Guys.

3 Likes

Roma playing tomorrow, against a not so impressive Juve lately, very curious. They will be very in the game rythm, where we won’t… hope the team used the rest well and we turn up fresh next week. But I would have preferred to be playing just as Roma is.

2 Likes

Beat them 1 - 3 in Turin. Ex sevillista Diego Perotti with the brace. Roma on a rampage lately.

1 Like

There was at least 4 players in that Juventus team I’ve never even heard of and I’m quite up on Italian football. Juve have had nothing to play for, for about two weeks, I wouldn’t read too much into that result.

2 Likes

Vaclik returned to normal training as expected as the MCl isn’t as serious as ACL, but he’s most likely not ready at least for the match vs. Roma.

I would go with Bono all the way in this mini-tournament and not risk any long term injury for Vaclik, unless he’ll be needed as a sub in case Bono gets injured or suspended (hopefully not).

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see how Lope goes with this, as I think it is pretty clear Vaclik is the current number one, however Bono came in kept a few clean sheets and generally played pretty well the last few League games.

2 Likes

An important part of their defence. This means they go with Fazio. :yum: But then yet, he’ll only have to worry about De Jong… :unamused:

Same. He’s deserved it for the games he played in the final stretch. Wouldn’t want to rush Vaclík, as we’ve seen what happened last year when we did… :pensive:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take that result to seriously. Juve were resting players for the champions league.

1 Like

A classic case of form versus rest. Roma have been unbeaten in 8 and won against Torino and drew Inter along with a win over a weak Juventus side. Taking a look at their last serious game into account Paulo Fonseca goes with a 3-4-2-1 with the evergreen Dzeko supported Mkhitaryan and Perotti or Pastore supporting him, they also have the likes of Under, Zaniolo, Perez and a pretty much forgotten Kluivert on the bench.

I would say it’s an interesting matchup but Roma have the psychological edge being on a roll and also having their match sharpness intact. Sevilla’s last game was 2 weeks ago and the unfortunate case of Covid led to team undertaking individual training instead of group sessions.The only plus is the team would be well rested for the hectic run-in where only 4-6 days separate each stage of the competition. Smalling’s absence would also be beneficial but he can’t represent Man U anyway.

If we’re not only focusing on Sevilla there are a few dangerous teams still in the tournament. Wolves, Man Utd, Inter and Bayer are very dangerous. The only plus is that Man Utd and Inter are already in the Champions league places, the reported breakdown between Conte and Inter may also undermine their efforts.

3 Likes

I’ve had a feeling for a few weeks now, way before yesterday’s outburst that Conte was going to do something.

Even though I have wanted him to succeed at Inter, from the very beginning it has always has a very strong feeling of, he’s really a Juve man, with Juve at heart and begrudgingly he is taking tbe Inter job as it was the best job available to him at the time.

I don´t like playing against Italian teams much honestly. The 3 back systems, their wingbacks causing trouble. Something in Spain we hardly play against. I remember against Juve in the CL, we had no chance. Our team had good players but completely unable to play well those games. Against Lazio we got the victories and it looked better, yet also there I wasn´t so confident. We did have Ben Yedder and Sarabia tho. And you can say something about the Gap between those team.

Roma have a core of super experienced attackers lead by Dzeko, who contributed 19 goals and 8 assists this season. Those are the type of stats you want for a Striker (we can only look envious to that). Controlling Diego Perotti, Mkhitharian and Zaniolo and not giving them too much room to work with to feed their target man will be a focus point. They will be missing Lorenzo Pellegrini who underwent surgery so thats a positive.

Very curious how our showing will be, been looking forward to it greatly.

2 Likes

We have a decent record vs. Italian teams, however, the sourest loss was the one vs. Sampdoria that knocked us out of EL groups, can’t remember which year exactly but will look it up.

We’ve also destroyed Fiorentina (even more convincing than vs. Lazio), so I would expect us beating Roma. However, the one-leg tie, neutral stadion, no fans, having not played for 3 weeks (while Roma played regularly) are all factors that can contribute to the game.

We finished fourth and our business was done, the objective was met. We will play in CL group stage in 2.5 months, so this is just an added bonus. I’m pretty sure we would have beaten Roma in 2 legs without the bloody pandemic stop in March, but we can beat them now as well.

I will get excited and have strong emotions because of the EL, but I’ll try to consider it as a pre-season competitive friendly (Audi Cup or similar :stuck_out_tongue:) because of everything that happened so far.

3 Likes

How do you guys expect us to start? I think a tranquil start would be good, still aim for possession. But focus on some calm passing. If they pressure us out of it, we will take advantage of it later if we get through the first part. I don’t know Roma her playstyle to good, but they don’t seem to be a team that can rely on defense, their best defense is attack for sure. I think this suits us well. And since its a best of one, them going all out from the start I would say is unlikely. Thoughts?

2 Likes