EURO 2020 and COPA AMERICA 2021

Christian Eriksen getting chest compressions on the field right now

2 Likes

Way too many memories this brings back.

1 Like

Terrible scenes and terrible broadcasting that.

2 Likes

:pray:t2:

3 Likes

Looks like he suffered sudden cardiac arrrst and was revived with an AED and adrenaline. If this had happened to him at his house or in the park he’d have died

6 Likes

It amazes me that given how much players are regularly tested now since Fabrice Muamba, that something like this can still happen.

3 Likes

Don’t think all of them can be forseen, even the healthiest body can experience an unexpected failure. Just hoping he’s all well… He’s breathing and able to talk with his dad. Positive news so far

5 Likes

Indeed but until we hear he is on the mend I don’t take anything for granted anymore. Let’s not forget Puerta walked off the RSP pitch that night.

3 Likes

Game to recommence 7:30pm. I’m shocked! I wonder how much UEFA pushed for that?

2 Likes

Wow, honestly can’t believe it. Both teams shaking to the bone, and suddenly you have to play again…

Maybe it’s because of the latest updates on his state, but its insane to me to continue.

It might be best to get over it and move on but its though, for sure how it will affect everybody involved. If they agree well I guess that’s what matters.

4 Likes

Of course the players want to play. At risk of sounding crass, the Danish coach was foolish to allow his guys back out there hours after watching their teammate “die and come back” on the pitch. This game could have been replayed after the 3rd group stage games and before the round of 16 and only if either team winning would have changed the results compared to a 0-0 draw.

3 Likes

Wow… shocking! Brings back memories of Puerta…

1 Like

This. It’s quite shocking honestly… he’s only 29 (same as my age) , now one would think, what about us that don’t get screened regularly? Unbelievable…

2 Likes

The difference is that they didn’t have AEDs in the stadium when Puerta had the cardiac arrest while off the pitch… that was an absolute tragedy. From then on it was mandatory for a stadium to have AEDs as a strict requirement for official licensing.

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me at 43. Just wish him a full recovery.

6 Likes

Is it ok for you to share the experience? Thankfully you’re past that now, it surely must have been a terrible experience. Did you require stents only or even a bypass surgery?

4 Likes

I was feeling a bit dodgy so I got the weights out to do some exercise, felt some muscle tear and had a cramp. I thought best go to the hospital to be safe and got a lift there. As I walked to the reception desk I went down like Erikson, only difference was I went black from lack of blood circulation, total cardiac and pulmonary arrest. I came around minutes later on a trolley where they were ripping my clothes off and then passed out again for 24 hours. Gradually pulled through and had a stent put in. Got back to playing football 2 years later when I’d finally plucked up the courage to exercise again.

But the damage was done, lots of permanent damage to lungs and heart. And I’m up to 8 stents, 4 of those inside the original.

It was a blood clot the size of a golf ball.

The moral of the story is don’t do any vigorous exercise if you feel a bit out of sorts.

12 Likes

There was another ex Sevilla player on the field (Finland v Denmark), apart from Kjaer, any guesses ?

3 Likes

Pukki

3 Likes

Thankfully you’re here to share the story. Heart issues are terrible and even though there have been a lot of studies and scientific research about the heart as an organ (probably the most of all), it is still a mystery sometimes and unpredictable. In your case, it seems that deciding to go to the hospital was the crucial life-saving decision, which many try to brush off and think of fighting it out at home instead.

7 Likes