EURO 2020 and COPA AMERICA 2021

UEFA didn’t want to change the EURO 2020 name for the competition, so it’s EURO 2020 again, while CONMEBOL changed it to COPA AMERICA 2021, and not only that but they removed Argentina and Colombia as hosts, hosting it in Brazil instead. CA was almost cancelled due to players protests etc. but it is now officially happening and it will commence on 13th of June with the match between Brazil and Venezuela.

On the other hand, Euro starts tonight with the match between Turkey and Italy.

Let’s use this topic to discuss both of these tournaments, what happens in the meantime, goals etc. although it’s a shame that we have only a handful of players representing our team in these competitions and they are: Papu, Acuna (Argentina), Kounde (France), LDJ (Netherlands). Not including Vaclik as he will officially leave this summer anyway.

What are your top 3 teams in each tournament?

Mine are as following.

EUROS: France, Croatia, Turkey

COPA AMERICA: Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay

VAMOS!

4 Likes

Euros: France, Italy, Croatia

Copa: Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay.

2 Likes

No England for Euros? :scream:

1 Like

Euros: Spain, Portugal, Denmark
Copa: Colombia, Uruguay, Brazil

2 Likes

England are rubbish.

2 Likes

As Turkey, we have a talented young squad, the strongest since 2002 World Cup.

For the first time in history, the squad is mostly made of legionnaires playing abroad. Such as:

Merih Demiral… Juventus
Caglar Söyüncü… Leicester
Hakan Calhanoğlu…Milan
Burak Yılmaz…Lille

We have managed to beat France 2-0 at home while holding them off in the away game with 1-1.

Tonight’s match against Italy will be immense. I really think we can reach final if we can get a win and boost our morale for the rest of the competition.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Zeki Çelik @sevillafan

Do you think this Turkey squad is close to the legendary one of World Cup 2002? Same coach, you never know!

4 Likes

That Euro 2008 run by Turkey is pretty freaking legendary as well. I got to meet Rustu Recber in 2006 randomly at a gas station in Istanbul, so I was pretty invested in them. They were a lucky ball or 2 away from winning the whole thing.

And Turkey has plus 5000 odds. If I were a gambler, I’d put $100 on Turkey right now.

5 Likes

Euros: Portugal, Italy, France
Copa America: Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia

I remember the last time both these tourneys were held the same year in 2016, the Euros were hella boring. Couldn’t wait for the evening when the Copa games started.

NIHAAAAAAT!!! Yes, that run was crazy!

4 Likes

I take it he recovered from Covid-19 in the end?

1 Like

I’ve got a little money on Belgium and feel like it’s a good bet as long as Lukaku doesn’t autogoal any bicycle kicks

3 Likes

I think. He was the first person I had ever met that I had known got Covid when I saw it last March on Yahoo news. He got it so early they didn’t even call it Covid back then. I think they were calling it novel coronavirus.

2 Likes

Rustu was legendary until he was transferred by Barca. After that his career spiralled downward.

I fancy our chances of winning it this time around, especially if we play out of national pride like we did in 2002 and 2008. Turks work extra harder when they believe they are representing their beloved nation.

5 Likes

It’s only been two minutes since kick off in the Turkey/Italy match and I can’t help but notice the fans, how important they are. So nice to see them again, after over a year of silence in the stadium

4 Likes

I fancy their chances too. At the least I think Turkey is set for a strong run. This should be a good test against a strong Italy.

On a side note, Italy has a ton of high end talent at MF and attack. I don’t think Chiellini and Bonnuci will get it done at this point in their careers against fast attacks. France, Belgium etc attack would lick their lips v these 2. I might be able to outrun Chiellini at this point. He’s obviously infinitely better than me as a player but he has lost more than a step imo. They don’t even start together anymore at Juve given their limitations. How could they be good enough to win a Euro starting together?

5 Likes

Turkey looked like they did not belong. Zero real chances created, imo. I’m not happy. I look for them to improve on this in the following 2 games and get second place.

3 Likes

Totally agreed on that. Not sure what happened but they made Italy look phenomenal, which I doubt they really are.

0-3 is quite harsh and will surely impact their remaining group matches, although I still believe that they can pass the group and their next match vs. Wales will be like a mini-final.

4 Likes

Disappointed to see us never get going. We never intended to attack, just wanted to draw. We set the defensive line too deep, letting them invade our box. Even Chiellini was trying to find a goal.

We need to get ourselves together. Thankfully the next two matches will be played at Baku, which is literally home for us. Hope we can change our manners and qualify through.

5 Likes

ITALIA!!! :it::it::it:

1 Like

Added benefit of being a Monchi’s Men member…getting to cheer for fellow Monchi’s Men member’s home countries in the Euro!

5 Likes