Club Friendly: Sevilla FC vs Paris St-Germain [21-22]

Thank you

1 Like

haha more like 80 million euros pending :wink:

4 Likes

Didn’t watch it but some interesting observations

Having gone over the personal of the squad, 3412 or 3421 is on paper a good fit for the players, it allows both fullbacks to have less defensive responsibilities and a potential Zouma-Boateng-Carlos centre back pairing sounds fearsome. Best part is letting Papu play in his preferred spot as he did in Atalanta, unleashing him could be key to this season.

Also not much you could do about Hakimi, guy is probably the best wingback in football at the moment with Cancelo a close second.

4 Likes

I have the feeling he deployed a back-3 because of the personnel. Kounde was out, Sergi Gomez transferred, while Fernando was injured. That left us with only Rekik & Gudelj, who weren’t gonna play the full 90min. But it also gave a chance to Lope to see how well Jose Angel & Pablo Perez were on the defensive side of the game. I know how much Pablo has been itching to bomb forward, but these games has seen other aspects of his game tested.

But despite all that, I think Lope just wanted the W.

2 Likes

Yeah I also think it was imposed because of the circumstances, but Ocampos was always left alone to do the grunt work on defense.

1 Like

How about this for a 3-4-2-1:

Zouma - Boateng - Carlos

Navas Fernando Rakitic/Oscar Acuna

Suso           Papu/Ocampos

YEN

It would be a pity to have Ocampos on a similar role like last night vs. PSG as that would hinder his attacking capabilities - he’d have to cover back and spend a lot of energy on the defense especially against stronger teams, which we are aspiring to beat this time around.

It’s not only Hakimi, he is definitely one of the best, but any decent modern full back would cause issues on the wing if you don’t have a proper full back like Acuna to match them - and there are many of those both in La Liga and CL.

1 Like

I’m sure Lope will play a back-3 at some point this season, but not enough. I don’t typically like back-3s cause sometimes i want more men forward then just staying back in defense.

I think Ocampos is 1 bad scoring season away from being converted into a modern wing-back.

2 Likes

Why not… if he doesn’t score and doesn’t show much productivity as a winger then he better get used to it. He was quite unhappy marking Hakimi there as it was shown last night he was shouting for cover on defense… a bit spoiled character to be honest, but as long as he’s productive it’s ok.

3 Likes

That is exactly what I had in mind if the squad is at full strength. Tried it in Football Manager with Carlos flanked by Sergi Gomez and Kounde on the sides to decent effect, also tried playing Fernando with Carlos and Kounde if I wanted to control possession like Chelsea. Acuna and Navas on the flanks coupled with Rakitic and a baller winner in the middle of the park. The two spots behind the striker would allow the stable of attacking midfielders to actually see the pitch once in a while, Papu Suso Lamela Torres Ocampos and Oscar can all play there. The striker needs to be fast and mobile, perfect for YEN and Ocampos in stretches. Hope there is a plan for that along the road.

Productive as in 19/20 or 20/21?

1 Like

19/20 !