Champions League 23/24 - Sevilla FC (1) vs Lens (1)

A few notes about RC Lens (Racing Club De Lens) -

• Founded in 1906
  • Nicknamed “less sang et” - translated to The Blood and Gold
  • Rivals with Lille
  • Won the League in 97-98
  • Plays in Stade Felix-Bollaert, 38,223 capacity
  • Finished second in League One last year, one point behind winners PSG
  • Had League 1’s best defensive record last year
  • Was promoted in 2020 and finished 7th, 7th and 2nd in the following seasons
  • Loïc Badé is from the Lens academy and was sold to Stade Rennais in 2021.
  • Lost their sporting director Florent Ghisolfi to Nice in the offseason
  • Lost their top scorer Openda to RB Leipzig
  • Lost their captain and conductor Fofana to Al-Nassr
  • Bought 20-year-old striker, Elye Wahi for 30 Million Euros in the summer - Scored 19 goals in 33 Matches for Montpellier in the 22/23 season
1 Like

Big match coming up!

2 Likes

Test post because Chris said so.

3 Likes

Ligue 1 had something for me when RC Lens, Nantes, Bordeaux were up there or when Olympique Lyonnais had its years of power with Juninho and the guys. Ever since PSG took over I have ditched efforts to care about that League. Still RC Lens to me is the most beautiful club in it tho, and I’m glad we drew them. Their loss last weekend has to hurt so they are extra dangerous. Hoping we are in for a good game and take the full three to kick off the CL campaign good for once. Vamoosss!

3 Likes

A tough start to the season for them…a bit like us. 5 games played, 0 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses, scoring only 4 goals while giving up 11.

2 Likes

Updated the main thread with some notes about Lens

1 Like

The attendance in the last home match against Metz was 38.000, while city itself has population around 32.000. Wow.

1 Like

6 Likes

That’s something for Gattoni at least he’s on the sub list for the CL.

He found all Spanish speaking players except Sow.

Huge game for Juanlu, let’s go boy.

6 Likes

Vamos Sevilla! Let’s do this!

3 Likes

Wow yeah, Juanlu getting thrown into the fire. Lots of rotation in here.

Anything to read into Bade not starting? Punishment for that awful header?

Bench does have some options if things aren’t going well one way or another. Not sure I’ll be able to watch unfortunately so, make me proud everyone.

4 Likes

His Nose got a knock, so that might be part of it too. I think playing with a mask is last resort and quite uncomfortable so more reason for rotation and Gudelj is fully fit so why not.

5 Likes

Ah yeah perhaps. He played the rest of the game but… who knows. Maybe swelling?

4 Likes

Pedrosa has to do a lot of carrying as sole left back right now. Going quite quick from not being able to play full game to playing two a week. With no current back up. Going 3 back might be an option to relieve that as well later.

Also liking the Rakitic position further up as I mentioned I was hoping to see earlier.

Lens is in a more difficult rebuilding phase than us and their results so far make me feel they are so risky don’t want them for things to start clicking right now.

3 Likes

I’m in hostile territory, no other Sevilla fans here

2 Likes

I have great appetite for a Ramos header today, let’s get this win boys! :yum:

4 Likes

FYI for anyone streaming the match, there’s an app called “ViX” showing it for free. I’m not sure if they stream all Champions League matches for Sevilla or if you have to pay to watch any others. Commentary will just be in Spanish. I have it on my Roku device.

3 Likes

elbow to the back of the head and no call. ok.

3 Likes

That elbow into Lamela’s face and no var check…

2 Likes

LETSGOOOOOO OCAMPOS!!!

2 Likes