Champions League 2023-24 Season Thread

Sevilla is seeded in Pot 1.
Draw will be August 31st 2023 at 18:00 CET.

2 Likes

Hoping for a competitive doable group with some historic clubs.

1. Sevilla FC
  2. FC Porto
  3. SS Lazio
  4. RC Lens
5 Likes

Voting for:

Pot 2) Leipzig or Manchester United (revenge or simply ManU because we’ve got their number)
Pot 3) Copenhagen (revenge)
Pot 4) Galatasaray (revenge for MarcĂŁo or a thank you for Fernando)

Sevilla put out the list of teams that the club has never faced that are in the group stage. They have faced 99 different teams in European tournaments, but not these:

Napoli
RB Leipzig
Real Sociedad
Galatasaray
Newcastle United
Union Berlin
Royal Antwerp
RC Lens
Young Boys

Interesting…

I know we’ve faced Napoli, RB Leipzig and Union Berlin in friendlies… others not sure. Real Sociedad in La Liga of course, but it seems that we’ve faced pretty much all of Europe at this point.

I still would like a tough 2nd pot opponent to make things more exciting in the GS.

1 Like

Nevermind, got confused with the other Red Bull … Salzburg. I’m still salty with Salzburg after they (and a younger Adeyemi) beat us in match day 6 to seal a spot in knockout rounds and condemn us to UEL.

Imagine the UCL group we drew that year:

1 Like

How about being salty at Lope for squandering the easiest Champions League Group ever? Out of the three teams only RB was a major threat, Lille lost Maignan and Ikone and finished 10th, Wolfsburg were in turmoil and sacked Van Bommel halfway through October. Sevilla should have been top 2 easily but Lope screwed it royally. Only good thing was this thoroughly convinced me he was not up to the task.

As for this year, a decent group that wouldn’t embarrassment the club and hopefully limp to 3rd again.

5 Likes

Man U, Braga & Lens my prediction.

1 Like

Group B:
Sevilla
Arsenal
PSV
Lens

3 Likes

Another rematch with PSV and Luuk, they looked quite good last night Vs Rangers to qualify.
Red white dominating poule I like it.

4 Likes

Gonna be a tough group, but it didn’t matter who we drew, it was gonna be tough.

4 Likes

Not an easy group by any means but definitely doable!

1 Like

Wow… one of the toughest groups we could get, but still passable if we do thing as we should.

3 Likes

So weird, every team is Red…only Lens not red and white.

1 Like

On paper you’d say Arsenal top and we’re battling with PSV for second. I don’t know a lot about Lens.

4 Likes

Yep…

2 Likes

Lens is an awesome club, doing some rebuilding as well plus they have a special stadium and a great crowd. Spend 45m or so on Wahi. Amounts we can only dream of. Also got Fulgini who we’ve been rumoured with for a long time.

PSV rematch, really tough, Xavi Simons out but they are still dangerous and skillfull, Lang, Bakayoko, Veerman. I’ll ask Johnny for an update when the time is ripe.

Arsenal will be favourites for first and likely end up there. Up to us and the two others to surprise. Or will we even surprise ourselves… that might be necessary. 2nd is doable but we need to develop and quick… Basically lets just not end 4th.

3 Likes

Normally i wouldn’t fear this group at all. Our defence needs to get sorted quickly in order to compete, or else even the easiest of draws would have done us in.

Lens will be tricky, cause they’ve been steadily improving over the years. PSV have European pedigree and Big Game Luuk. Arsenal already know they can beat us with just their kids if need be. I see the Gunners on top, and a battle royale for 2nd & 3rd.

2 Likes

Another thing that might help is if we switch the banners to Europa League ones to trick ourselves into taking it seriously.

2 Likes

You could mistake it for a EL quality group tbf :joy:

2 Likes