Champions League 2023-24 Season Thread

You could mistake it for a EL quality group

That’s what was said last year, don’t jinx it again!

5 Likes

Not the worst group we could get. Problem is we pretty naff right now so anything will be tough. Let’s see.

4 Likes

Bayern literally took my group. ManU, Copenhagen, Galatasaray…

Trade ya?

1 Like

Fun fact about Lens… Their Stadium has a bigger capacity (38,223) than the Population of the City (32,458).

2 Likes

Also random fact, a bit of a wakeup call to me. Sevilla squad is currently valued on Transfermarkt at 207m. RC Lens is valued just shy of us at 190m. PSV just shy of them at 180m €. Assuming we sell 27m or more, we will be the lowest valued squad in the UCL group.

To be clear, I really couldn’t care less about the money in terms of probability to win or at least potential to win, but while I’m on the subject. Venture a guess how much Arsenal has amassed on its player balance sheet, so to speak?

1.15 billion. With a “B”.

More than five times their nearest rival (us!) in market value talent.

6 Likes

Not the hardest group, but far from the easiest.

On a side note Bayer Leverkusen have started the season flying, and have been drawn against Qarabag, Molde and Hacken in the UEL. Literally couldn’t have asked for better.

2 Likes

For the CL the schedule will be:

Sevilla FC - RC Lens
PSV - Sevilla FC
Sevilla FC - Arsenal
Arsenal - Sevilla
Sevilla - PSV
RC Lens - Sevilla

In 3 weeks it will start.

5 Likes

The complete squad for the CL is made up of: Dmitrovic, Nyland, Jesús Navas, Sergio Ramos, Badé, Nianzou, Gattoni, Pedrosa, Acuña, Fernando, Gudelj, Soumaré, Joan Jordán, Sow, Óliver Torres, Rakitic, Ocampos, Suso, Lamela, Lukebakio, Rafa Mir, Mariano and En-Nesyri.

Marcao not included. He’s done here isn’t he?

2 Likes

I don’t think they rate Gattoni more than Marcao yet. So Guarente 2.0 confirmed?

1 Like

Probably says as much about his injury than anything. Can’t rely on him to get or stay fit for the next 3 months of the Group Stage clearly.

2 Likes

That Felix to Lew connection is kicking… Paramount’s Golazo show is pretty fun when you don’t have a horse in the race anywhere.

1 Like

Wow - Goalie Gol to end the Lazio v Atleti match. Luis Alberto with the delivery. Craziness.

2 Likes

I wonder how many Goalkeepers have scored in the Champions League? Other than Hans-Jorg Bütt who took penalties for Bayer Leverkusen I can’t think of any.

1 Like

In fact I will answer my own question…

UEFA Champions League Goals By Goalkeepers
*Hans-Jorg Butt (penalty for Hamburg vs Juventus in 2000)
*Hans-Jorg Butt (penalty for Leverkusen vs Juventus in 2002)
*Hans-Jorg Butt (penalty for Bayern Munich vs Juventus in 2009)
*Sinan Bolat (header for Standard Liege vs AZ Alkmaar in 2009)
*Vincent Enyeama (penalty for Hapoel Tel Aviv vs Salzburg in 2010)
*Ivan Provedel (header for Lazio vs Atletico Madrid in 2023)

2 Likes
Lazio GK, Provedel scores with the last kick against Atletico Madrid.
byu/Much-Smoke-8219 inchampionsleague
1 Like

Didn’t even look happy about it.

1 Like

Looks beyond happy. Looks like he knows immediately that he’s now a legend.

Pass from our canterano Luis Alberto was also pretty magical. Even caught half his teammates flatfooted!

1 Like

Found a bar to watch the match. I am currently in Ourense. I have about 110 kms left on the Via de la Plata. I will probably have to cut out at halftime to get some sleep as I am walking 30 km tomorrow. I hope the boys bring it and bang a couple in right away. Vamos!!!

3 Likes

Next two match days will be most interesting. Two tests against Arsenal, but more importantly what wil Lens and PSV do, their two matches could decide our faith.

2 Likes

Come on. If our faith is decided by PSV and Lens what are we doing again? Just drop out and end 4th.

We have everything in our own hands.

Lens just beat Arsenal. We can beat them.

4 Likes