AFCON 2021

AFCON 2021 (2021 is for administrative purpose as it was supposed to be held last year, same as with the EURO 2020 case) starts tonight and the first match is already on, 77th minute so far between Cameroon and Burkina Faso, Cameroon leading 2:1. Next match is between Ethiopa and Cape Verde at 8 PM CET.

My 3 favorites in this tournament are: Morocco (because of our Moroccans), Mali (because of our ex-players Kanoute and Keita) and Senegal (old love from the 2002 World Cup).

What are yours?

3 Likes

I’ll be following the Moroccan team, but I’m not planning on watching any of the games. BeIN is the North American broadcast partner, and they’re coverage/access is terrible.

2 Likes

No particular team to follow but I do like the traditional teams like Cameroon and Nigeria.

1 Like

I read yesterday that Yen tested pos for covid when he joined the group so won’t be playing for the 1st couple of games, also suffering some knee discomfort. Maybe a blessing in disguise

4 Likes

Not great if he is still struggling 4 months on.

Great. The YouTube stream presented by CAF, yes the official one, was copystriked.

1 Like

Yeah anyone got a stream?

1 Like

I signed up for Bein on YoutubeTV (already subscribed) for 10.99 per month.

Bono with a great save just now.

3 Likes

Morocco up 1-0 Boufal, the Angers SCO winger scores the goal.

2 Likes

@ChrisLail

3 Likes

Morocco win 1-0, Bono keeps a clean sheet after a fine top corner save. Munir stayed on the bench.

7 Likes

Loving it so far and the passion these players are showing. Bono was tremendous.

4 Likes

Low scoring football so far with only 9 goals in 9 matches played. They’re playing it safe in the beginning it seems.

1 Like

Anyone see the farce in the Mali v Tunisia game earlier?

Referee blew the full time whistle on 85 minutes. Then play resumed and he still blew the whistle about 40 seconds before the end of 90 minutes even though there were two penalties, a sending off and various substitutions. :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Didn’t see it but it sounds ridiculous…

1 Like

Except for the matches involving Cameroon, all the others so far have ended with 0 to 1 goals max.

1 Like

Cameroon is my pick to win it tbh.

4 Likes

Shit. En-nesyri missed a penalty.

4 Likes

The Comoros keeper had a crazy good day for the most part.

4 Likes