23/24 - MD4: Sevilla FC at Atlético de Madrid

So Navas is out due to hip problems. Which has bothered him years before as well and it came back up.
Letting Juanlu enter against Atletico Madrid will be a big challenge for him. Let’s se what Mendi does. On one hand he said, if he is part of the squad, he’s part of the squad. So that means he’s 2nd right back after Montiel is gone and this is his chance. Or he will force something with Ocampos there. I don’t expect Lukebakio to be the player to cover a right full back position and doesn’t strike me as the player that if you give him something to bite into he will hold on, like Ocampos in an Atletico match.

My feeling says, he won’t change much for the Atletico game. As he will consolidate and just hopes to not get demolished, which might be the challenge for tomorrow. I think Jordan will make a reappearance as well. Probably smart that if you get demolished, to let the old players get demolished by themselves so the new players get the feeling that when they enter it can only go up.

In the near future, I am hoping to see a Soumaré, Rakitic, Sow midfield as soon as possible. Las Palmas looks to be a good opponent to start implementing more new ones.

3 Likes

How about one of Pedrasa covering for Navas in this match? Not a natural RB but still a much better option than Juanlu. It’d be a huge gamble fielding the shaky youngster.

3 Likes

But Acuna has an injury too and Pedrosa looks very left sided. Might be just as questionable on the right side. I would lean towards Ocampos… up to the coach tho. Last two options, we can test if Jordan is anymore useful there, or we limit test how versatile Nemanja is. Or go a 3 centre back formation which is not really something I would trust right now.

3 Likes

We are going to win this game.

4 Likes

We must be massive underdogs for this? I guess there’s no pressure on us which is a positive we can take! Lol

1 Like

Anyone wanna do a watch along tomorrow for the podcast?

All we want to see is some improvement to head into that international break. We have a couple of winnable games after this.

We need to improve our organisation and stop giving the opposition easy chances to score. On the positive we have looked decent going forward but just haven’t been clinical enough. That needs to change fast.

Hopefully they give it their all today no matter the score. After this mendi will have a bit more time to work with the new players and implement them in his system.

Let’s hope for the best. Vamos Sevilla!

1 Like

Sevilla FC - ❌⛈️ Our LaLiga fixture against Atlético de...]-R

1 Like

We’re not playing today?

Yep, suspended. Probably actually for the best. I suspect we will have better chance of winning at a later date once the team bounces back.

2 Likes

It’s probably a blessing in disguise. Just seem because of severe rain I think. Looking at weather forecast anyway.

2 Likes

Major storm coming through, thought to be dangerous to have fans coming and going for the match

3 Likes

That makes sense to be honest. Best to put safety of fans and players first.

Madrid is forecasted to have their biggest rainfall ever in one day I read somewhere.

1 Like

As others have said the way we are playing this is probably a blessing in disguise. An act of God if you will.

5 Likes

Disappointed as I was looking forward to some Sunday afternoon football and we’ve got a long wait now to the next game with international weekend (sigh).

Obviously makes sense though with the weather forecast and yes probably a blessing in disguise.

Hard to believe the weather is bad in Madrid with the glorious September UK weather!

7 Likes

I am back on the Via de la Plata and walked through Caceres today. I got absolutely dumped on with rain. My rain gear was useless with the amount of rain. The delay is a blessing for us because we have not shown up much in La Liga. Athletico are riding high from their thumping last week.

4 Likes

So, we made it to the international break with no points, but thankfully a slightly less painful zero points than expected. Two weeks for Mendilibar to work to get key members of the team integrated into the system. Unfortunately a handful of key arrivals are likely turning right back around and heading in the road. Anybody know a good way to figure out whom? I know the club tends to announce it, but hasn’t yet announced it, I don’t think…

Nevermind, team posted something today. Thankfully not that many key learners leaving.

Nyland, Gudelj, Sow, Lukebakio and En-Nesyri headed on national duty. Probably the biggest victim there is Lukébakio, who likely still hasn’t earned the trust of Mendi. Hopefully Sow has had plenty of time with the team. Thankfully Lukébakio also happens to play a position where we are well covered.

1 Like