2022/23 Retrospective and a Look Ahead

It’s hard to believe that this season has finally come to an end. What started hopeful quickly turned sour and saw Sevilla crash out of the Champions League, fight relegation, and part ways with not one, but two managers along the way.

Mendilibar joined late in the season with one goal: Stop the hemorrhage and keep Sevilla from the unthinkable nightmare of relegation. He did that and more. The “new manager bump” turned into a somewhat permanent fixture, and Sevilla lost only two more games all year, finished comfortably above relegation, and won the Europa League, eliminating Manchester United and Juventus along the way.

Even after the turbulence of 2022, things look pretty familiar heading into the off-season. Sevilla raised the Europa League trophy otra vez and are heading to the Champions League for the fourth year in a row.

News broke earlier today that Mendilibar renewed his contract for another year, but there’s talk of Monchi stepping aside, and tough decisions will need to be made regarding some players who have been pillars of this club for years.

This summer promises excitement and could include more than one bittersweet goodbye or head-scratching decision, but through it all, WE ARE SEVILLA y NUNCA NOS RENDIMOS!

5 Likes

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. As I was reading, I couldn’t help thinking whether ChatGPT could help bring together some new content like this to the site. So I decided to pit ChatGPT against @sterusebn

And, well, I’ll let you judge for yourselves:

Title: Sevilla FC 2022-2023 Season: Triumphs, Turmoil, and a Resilient Spirit

Introduction:
The 2022-2023 season was a rollercoaster ride for Sevilla FC, as they competed in La Liga, the UEFA Champions League, and the Europa League. With multiple coaching changes throughout the season, the club faced both successes and challenges on their quest for glory. Let’s delve into the performances of each coach, their eventual departures, and what unfolded after the appointment of Julen Mendilibar.

Coaching Carousel:
Sevilla FC began the season under the guidance of Luis Garcia, who injected a sense of optimism and tactical discipline into the team. However, a series of inconsistent results and internal disagreements led to his dismissal. The subsequent appointment of Marcelino Garcia Toral brought initial stability, but a lack of cohesion in big matches and tactical setbacks resulted in his departure as well.

The club then turned to the experienced Jorge Sampaoli, who had previously enjoyed success with Sevilla. However, his tenure was short-lived as clashes with the board and disagreements with key players created an untenable situation. The search for a new coach led Sevilla to Julen Mendilibar, a seasoned tactician renowned for his ability to organize defenses and inspire his teams.

The Arrival of Julen Mendilibar:
Mendilibar’s appointment injected a renewed sense of determination and stability within Sevilla FC. Under his guidance, the team adopted a disciplined defensive approach without compromising their attacking intent. The players quickly embraced his tactical ideas, resulting in a string of positive results in La Liga.

In the UEFA Champions League, Sevilla displayed resilience and determination, progressing through the group stages to reach the knockout phase. Their performances against formidable opponents showcased Mendilibar’s ability to galvanize the squad and instill a winning mentality.

Nunca Se Rinde:
“Nunca se rinde,” meaning “never give up,” became the defining mantra for Sevilla FC during the 2022-2023 season. Despite the coaching changes and turbulent periods, the club demonstrated an unwavering spirit and a refusal to be defeated. The players rallied together, showcasing their passion and commitment to achieving success.

In conclusion, the Sevilla FC 2022-2023 season was marked by a tumultuous journey, as coaching changes disrupted the team’s rhythm. However, Julen Mendilibar’s arrival brought stability and a renewed sense of purpose. While challenges persisted, the club’s resilience and determination shone through, both in La Liga and the UEFA Champions League. Sevilla FC’s unwavering spirit exemplifies the indomitable nature of the team and their refusal to back down in the face of adversity.

NUNCA SE RINDE

2 Likes

Who won, Steve or ChatGPT?

• ChatGPT wins
  • Steve wins

0 voters

1 Like

Next: What is Mendilibar’s real first name? (Only wrong answers)

1 Like

And Chat GPT is replacing people’s jobs? Good lord.

2 Likes

I’ll start us off. It’s definitely Unai Mendilibar.

1 Like

Rocky Mendilibar

2 Likes

Brass Balls Mendilibar

2 Likes

I’m voting for myself. As someone who writes for a living, ChatGPT scares the shit out of me :joy:

2 Likes

Also, ChatGPT thinks we won the Champions League instead of Europa League. If AI could somehow win us UCL, I’ll change my stance and sing its praises.

2 Likes

AI knows that EL is our CL, no difference.

2 Likes

Music plays

“Welcome welcome welcome to the latest edition of the Monchi’s Men Podcast!
I am ChatGPT, and with me as always BingChat and ChatSonic - How are you doing fellas?”

3 Likes

Hey! We found a regular listener!

2 Likes

Does it also f up Spanish names at the same rate? Haha

2 Likes

ChatGPT: “Lucas Acuña had a great assist to Marcos Ocampos”

1 Like

Al Mendilibar

2 Likes

Spencer Mendilibar

2 Likes

Ted Mendilibar

1 Like

Juande Mendilibar

2 Likes

Bet it cited Julen Mendilibar vs the State of Arizona.

2 Likes