2022/23 Retrospective and a Look Ahead

I don’t think Chat GPT is going to replace many jobs in its current state, but there’s a genuine concern that similar large language model generative AIs could replace jobs in the near future.

3 Likes

Correct but other AI will, especially artists and photographers, just ask AI for a picture of a lion eating a gazelle or a Tram in San Francisco with Alcatraz in the background and it will magic up instantly. Ad agencies will be able to slimming down their workforce already.

5 Likes

Now it will be more about the idea than the execution itself in art. Those with bright and creative minds will still win - those that approach art/design/etc. technically will die out in the long run I’m afraid.

3 Likes

Love that take, @ShendM. Ideas and creativity become more valuable in a market where you’re suddenly competing with computers on speed/efficiency/technique.

2 Likes

I just hope the courts will protect folk’s copyrights. AI uses others’ ideas as inspiration and will eventually create something strikingly similar. We have to protect artists. Most can’t afford to fight a lawsuit against a big ass company.

1 Like

Yeah, good question…makes it quite hard to detect, but I assume just like the screening systems universities have been using for plagiarism, I suppose it should be doable to compare large language models’ outputs to existing intellectual property…right? One hopes, but you’re right that generative AI makes it a bit tricky to have an original idea if the AI just rips it off and repackages it as original.