UEL Matchday 1: Sevilla at Qarabag [2019-20]

Oliver, nice overhead touch 0-3

1 Like

Hot take: Pozo is a better crosser than Navas. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Pozo having a great game. I see why we didn’t need a right back now haha! Torres adds to the scoreline! What a perfect match for us, 3 goals and on course for another clean sheet! Things going so well so far, great to see!

1 Like

Dabbur on for a cameo role.

Rony looks much faster and sharper than two weeks back.
Nice to see we can score apart from free-kicks.
Pozo is a breath of fresh air, since pre-season I’ve been saying he should play every game.

5 Likes

I hope dabbur can have at least 45mins in the next europa match

2 Likes

Great result and performance! Now let’s smash Madrid on Sunday night. Vamos!!

1 Like

Good performance in overall. Pozo MOTM for me. The most important thing is to have fun playing against the weak sides in our group, and to give minutes to the players that lack them.

Dabbur should’ve had more than the last 5 minutes of the match, lucky for him there were 4 more minutes in the extra but that didn’t do him any favor. The game was sealed at 0-3… even at 0-2 and he definitely should’ve come in earlier. Lope clearly doesn’t like him!

On to the real business now, RM on Sunday!

3 Likes

And where is Gil? Injured?
He’s good enough to start in europa group stage

1 Like

Same question… what happened?

He traveled so I don’t think he is injured. Munir was fantastic today and should have a hold on that left wing position imo.

1 Like

This.

Also, i can’t wait for Diego Carlos vs Benzema on the weekend. The man is an absolute Hulk. Not sure what the frontline should look like, but i certainly don’t want Luuk anywhere near it.

2 Likes

only got to watch the second half, but damn. quite a nice half. those were three spectacular goals each in their own rite. but chicharito’s free kick clearly unlocked the game. we were dominating possession but didn’t seem able to make the final pass to create actual chances as they packed it in with 10 guys behind the ball. chicharito’s goal forced them to open up and the other two goals both came off counters.

nice set of passing leading to munir’s breakaway and classy chip finish. and a great sequence led to the torres overhead even though the pass out wide to the right before the cross seemed like a mistake ie pozo (was it him?) was cutting to goal and the pass was out wide. nice adjustment then nice ball to the backpost.

who had the total gaffe on the right side losing the ball going forward, recovering it, then passing backwards to the other team’s striker for a breakaway? that was horrid. didn’t lead to a goal, but i think it would’ve made the game 1-1 at that point.

anyway, a lot of fun to watch and an excellent result to kick off the group phase. congrats all around!

2 Likes

I thought Munir was invisible until he moved to striker. Torres absolutely ran this match. He was excellent. Mudo was really good, maybe not consistent, but created 3 clear chances on backpost knockdown headers. Great free kick by Chicharito, but man, he missed 4 chances in the first half. Great ball by Banega to spring Munir. Pozo had a great match, particularly in the 1st half. And I thought Gudelj played his role perfectly.

Qarabag’s fans created a really good atmosphere. Tons of noise until the 2nd goal. They threw some bottles after Chich’s goal (I think Diego Carlos caught one). Not a fan of stadiums with the running track. And they did the wave for like the last 8 minutes of the 1st half which was annoying.

3 Likes

He’s also good enough to start in La Liga. Probably another player Lope will bring along slowly. The boy didn’t even take a summer break, so maybe Julen is being kind to him. :joy:

That was Kounde. Could’ve cost us against a stronger side. He’s still raw, and susceptible to rookie mistakes. Every now and again he struggles with passes out the back, but he’s coming along.

And it’s always nice to see a post from you Rene! :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/BanterFC5/status/1174751426440024064?s=20

Thanks Edinho! trying to watch a bit more this season after having been really busy the last few. maybe its cus monchi is back that im reinvigorated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stat Qarabag FK Sevilla FC
Total Shots 6 21
Shots on Target 1 6
Possession% 29.1 70.9
Pass Success % 79 92
Dribbles 7 11
Aerials Won 11 10
Tackles 11 19
Corners 3 4
Dispossessed 12 7
Total Passes 284 702
Key Passes 4 18
Interceptions 5 8
Fouls 15 13
Offsides 3 3
1 Like

what the hell happened with them dominating us in the air?!?!?! lucky to have escaped with a point!!!

jk. that game was clearly pretty dominant. 92% pass success is spectacular.

Good start to our campaign, and although it took a while we got the job done. I don’t think the team I predicted was that far off what we fielded. My only grumble if there really is one would be that we didn’t give Bono the game (when else is he going to play?), and that Dabbur / Lopes could have done with a bit more time than we actually gave them.

Glad to see Pozo get a game though although I am slightly on edge about us having TWO wingers converted as Right Backs. I would like us to actually sign a true RB at some point.

3 Likes

Pozo and Navas are the modern pacey RB’s who are not necessarily strong defensively (physical and tactical), but can contribute a lot in the attack and can be a nuisance for the attacking opponents by chasing them around and not allowing much space (mainly due to speed).

It’s ok with me, however, on important matches someone like Filipe Luis (not now, before) could make the difference both on defense and attack. It depends a lot on the system as well, so far it’s working well for us.

3 Likes