UEL QF: Wolves v Sevilla [2019-20]

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE — QUARTER-FINALS

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS FC vs. SEVILLA FC

Whenever Sevilla has reached the quarterfinals of the Europa League, they have gone on to win the competition.

What can arguably be seen as the toughest path to the final, Sevilla will take on Premier League outfit Wolves.

Head coach Nuno Gomes has made his Wolverhampton team fairly competent since bringing them up to England’s top division. Having been in the running for a CL spot most of the campaign, they weren’t able to outperform the top clubs to continue that pursuit after the lockdown. They narrowly missed out on Europe altogether at the end, which means they will need to win this tournament in order to qualify for continental competition next season.

Nuno Gomes: “All the teams involved in this competition know each other well. Sevilla is a very good team; we know of their talent and of the quality of Lopetegui. It will be a very difficult match.”

Looking at the players who make up this team, the obvious standout is Raúl Jiménez, scoring a total of 27 goals this season, including 10 goals in this competition since the qualifying round. Much has been written about problematic flankman Adama Traore, but Jiménez’ strike partner Jota has formed a lethal partnership alongside the Mexican. Add to that the creativity of João Moutinho, who has recorded 13 assists, and there’s enough quality in this squad to hurt any team.

We came out in full force in the previous round against Roma. The 2-0 scoreline was rather flattering as our Andalusian team was absolutely dominant. It was without doubt the most complete performance from Sevilla this season. Diego Carlos, having come out victorious in his battle against Edin Dzeko last week, will be relishing this upcoming duel against Jiménez. With Jules Kounde alongside him, who is seemingly improving with every match, Sevilla may continue its streak of clean sheets.

The battle of the ex-goalkeepers will see two teams having reliable defences. Wolves will be missing ex-Celta man Jonny Castro, who could’ve helped neutralize our right side. Although not having any standouts in their backline, their ability to defend as a unit should make it tough on a team already struggling to score.

Sevilla has won 4 out of 5 cup ties against English opposition, with Leicester being the only team from England to knock them out.

This won’t be an easy match by any means. It was somewhat surprising how we handled Roma, with all the talk of how they finished their season. Even Lopetegui exclaimed in the dressing room after the game: “They had 8 matches without defeat, until they had to run into us.” Sevilla’s mentality heading into this match will be important, as we have been labeled as favourites. Diego Carlos, interviewed alongside Lopetegui, assured the team is “very motivated, and knows what the objective is.” And that is to win the Europa League.

#VamosMiSevilla
#APorLaSexta

6 Likes

When Sevilla won their first Uefa title I was confident they would win before the game and forcast 3 or 4 to zero. Since then I’ve never been confident in any big Uefa game, basically just believing we couldn’t do it again. Today, worryingly, 14 years later, I’m confident.

5 Likes

According to ABC Sevilla we repeat the same starting 11

Bono; Navas, Diego Carlos, Koundé, Reguilón; Fernando, Jordán, Banega; Suso, Ocampos, En-Nesyri.

2 Likes

I don’t mind this at all. But once again, Suso… step. your. game. up.

Munir has been a great super sub this season.

3 Likes

Felt the same. Initially questioned the Suso start, but would rather have Munir if we have the potential for extra time.

2 Likes

Most worrying player on their side is Joao Moutinho for me. World Class player. Jimenez is a good striker but will need his feeding, Just like Dzeko, avoid that. Easy win. Traoré isn´t really the player too feed him anyway but Jota can be dangerous as well.

I´m confident as well, if our fieldplay is close to last week, we will be in control. They probably don´t mind so let´s care their counters and we got this.

My prediction 2-0. Ocampos and Banega.

2 Likes

Red Socks. :tired_face: We’ve lost then!

To me it is the most logical, you just never know in football.

1 Like

Vamos Sevilla!

1 Like

Went off injured last week. Might not play even though he is on the bench.

1 Like

I just hope we don’t lose concentration and beat the Wolves. I can’t see how they can dominate us or play better than us throughout the match.

2 Likes

Traore totally looks greased up

2 Likes

Yes…Bono!!!

2 Likes

Can’t let that guy get loose again. Geez

3 Likes

Pretty much only way they can get dangerous, and Diego Carlos falls for it, gave away a penalty stupidly.

3 Likes

Bono is incredibly patient there distracting Jimenez well. Saving the day so far.

1 Like

In fairness Traore was in, DC done literally the only thing he could to stop him having a free shot.

Kounde was coming and even then, better have a shot from there with 30km/h then a free kick from eleven meters

1 Like

He would have got the shot away well before Kounde got across. :sweat_smile:

Meaning he had to shoot, I prefer that over penalty… not speaking about hindsight

1 Like