UCL R16 - 1st Leg: Sevilla FC v Borussia Dortmund [20/21]

Lopetegui: “You must only focus on the path in front of you, nothing else. And what we have is a demanding and exciting match.”

All the hard work from the previous season has led to this moment. Although the group stage should never be a given, the Champions League knockout round is where Sevilla FC must look to make its mark. Awaiting them is a Dortmund team which hasn’t improved much since the draw was decided. Interim coach Edin Terzić, who took over from Lucien Favre in mid-December, got good results at the start of his tenure. But lately, his BVB side has slipped down to 6th in the Bundesliga, with only 1 win from their last 6 league matches. Will the Champions League help the players return to their best?

Fernando: “We are full of motivation to play in the biggest competition in the world.”

The way Julen Lopetegui has drilled this Sevilla team assures the players will know the tie is 180 minutes long. The Basque coach typically deploys a conservative game plan, which may become necessary in this 1st leg. We all know of Sevilla’s defensive capabilities, which has to stop a Dortmund team that has only failed to score once this season — on Matchday 2 of the Bundesliga at Augsburg on September 26th. This particular battle can be exemplified between two of the best young players in their respective positions, Jules Kounde & Erling Haaland. Could this be their first duel of many to come?

Projected XI (4-3-3): Bono; Aleix, Kounde, Diego Carlos, Escudero; Fernando, Jordán, Rakitić; Suso, En-Nesyri, Papu Gómez.

Lopetegui’s defence-first approach might seem appropriate for this first match. With an opposing team that isn’t shy in front of goal, a clean sheet may be the most important thing to carry over to Germany. With an array of attacking talent, Dortmund will shell out an onslaught to get many away goals as possible. But with Bono currently playing like he did last summer, Terzić’s men may be confronting their most challenging task yet. Will Sevilla make this 8 games without conceding?

#VamosMiSevilla
#VamosPorLaChampions

4 Likes

Really hope Lope keeps Vidal in, he has earned it, but got a feeling sentiment will get in the way and we will see a Jesus Navas who hasn’t played in 3 weeks.

1 Like

Just had a chat with my friend who´s fan of BVB. The conversation made me even more hyped about this matchup, and I feel like we are going to get it.

Dortmund´s form like Chris said is shit, lately he told me they feel like they can lose to any worst team. Contrary to us where we are kind of getting all the points coming to us maybe even more then we expected, and our current series is crazy good (did we win 9 in a row now? jezus O_o) The getafe and barça win just topping it off well deserved as well. I didn´t see the huesca game (that might have been boring) but I think for CL we are getting the peak performance.

The silver lining for Dortmund is Haaland, any decent chance he just puts away. Bono can make miracles happens as we know, but this guy is a sharpshooter so we need to get to the next level. Where Koundé and Carlos, have to shut this guy down and we removed 90% of their sting.

Their midfield is lacking, power and fighting spirit with Axel Witsel out because of injury. Delaney is trying to pick it up best he can but it´s just not at that level without him. So they are mentaly quite vulnerable. We can overrun the midfield. Haaland is known as a soar and nasty loser too, which won´t help if our centre boys keep him in check. So all in all i´m getting (or creating) a confident picture in my mind.

Bürki isn´t there, So as Jim would have loved to see that guy, not catch a thing coming his way. The one behind him in line, is there to cover for him. Hitz is his name and so far hasn´t shown great promise either. It reminded me of how Vaclik was terrible too, and Bono stepped up the moment he could take the spot. And without Bono we wouldn´t have won the Europa League. Which just makes me love and respect Bono even more. So it is up to Hitz to show his worth this time.

My friends prediction, a hard wake up call in Spain: 3-1. And hard fought draw, where they didn´t reach their maximum potential in Germany. 3-3.

Mine: At home, a solid 2-0 Lope Sevilla Style Win. Away, an irritated vulnerable Dortmund, who let´s go of the breaks but comes short still and get taken advantage of even more: 2-4.

Maybe a bit soon for a double game prediction but we went with it anyway.

Above all let it be some good games to watch. And show we have improved our level to be competitive even more at those higher level games.

Cheers, see you guys tuning in tomorrow!

4 Likes

Hitz is a capable keeper, but there is a reason he is the back up, and says it all he is back up to Burki.

It would have been another great night to look forward to with a full house in the RSP. Hopefully we can be back cheering them on next season.

8 Likes

Lope will be obsessed with keeping a clean sheet tonight. Probably play for 0-0 here and 0-1 in the second leg … /half serious parody jest.

It will be interesting to see what hairstyle Koundé chooses to ridicule their big ugly striker dude tonight.

Both teams playing the psychology game with Sevilla saying Borussia are favourites and Borussia saying they have no chance if they play to recent form.

5 Likes

LOL 27secs in. Name that tune

1 Like

Big match this! I hope the team carries on the good form. Vamos!

3 Likes

So I guess Navas in the squad means he gets the start?

3 Likes

I’d still go with Vidal because he’s on top form lately. Bring on Navas in the second half and then continue to start him from the next game (Monday vs. Osasuna) until muscular problems reappear, then rest and replace with Vidal, rinse and repeat until the end of the season :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Let’s prove everyone that Sevilla doesn’t naturally belong to UEL. It’s time we turn the things around.

6 Likes

Hopefully Navas doesn’t get the start, and I doubt he will. I’m going for a lineup like this

Papu YEN Suso
Rakitic Jordan
Fernando
Escudero DC Koundé Vidal
Bono

3 Likes

Maybe Oliver for Rakitic and Rakitic to be fielded in the second half

3 Likes

Navas in the starting line up. If he is fully fit, this is the right decision for me, because he is still much better than Vidal. Other as expected.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am contacting you on behalf of BT Sport UK.

We are looking for Sevilla fans to take part in BT Sport’s coverage of the Champions League during this knockout phase of the tournament. We are sending fans, of the top 16 teams in the UCL, crowns for them to wear whilst at home getting ready to watch your team in action and we would like fans to film on their phones some short videos for us (this can be with their friends/family too) to feature in our project called “The Kings of Europe”.

It would be great to get Sevilla fans on board. If you are interested or know of fans who would like to be involved, please can you let me know and we can send over more details?

Kind regards,

Kay Davies

Any takers? haha

2 Likes

4 Likes

I really doubt he is fully fit, but it’s a very important match and my guess is he wanted to play at all costs, maybe pressured Lope to field him. Vidal was doing very well lately and naturally he should’ve started, but I’m ok with Navas if he plays at least on 80% of his capacity.

3 Likes
5 Likes

2 Likes

No thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes