UCL MD3: Sevilla FC v Krasnodar [20/21]

Sevilla resumes their Champions League campaign, after yet another poor result in the league.

This continental competition might as well serve as solace for the disappointing run of results in LaLiga. After an inexplicable 3rd straight loss, Sevilla will hope their rotten league form doesn’t spoil their good work in the group stage. The loss on the weekend didn’t materialize from a completely dismal display. Sevilla played well for large parts of that 1st half, and also during the opening 10 minutes after the interval. But for what Lopetegui usually has a grip on, his in-game management was an utter failure, and we couldn’t close out the match.

Sevilla’s focus seems to have primarily been on the midweek fixtures. No footballer will admit to thinking ahead of the match before them, but it can be assumed that, subconsciously, it is still a factor in how they perform in the league. Thankfully, it is still early in the season, and early enough to pay attention to the league table. But it cannot be helped to think that any possibility of a title challenge has more than certainly faded. The pressure of expectation may well have played a part in these losses, but it is also evident that Julen’s team hasn’t yet evolved from last season’s version.

Sevilla are still without Sergi Gómez, Suso & Idrissi. Alfonso & Zarzana have been called up from the youth team.

The opponent on the pitch, FC Krasnodar, is from Russia. But as what’s been the case lately, Sevilla’s only opponent are themselves and how they will overcome this bad run of form. There is no question that nothing other than a victory is expected at the RSP tonight. How that will be achieved is irrelevant as they must simply fight through this. More goals would be nice, but the squad simply needs to get back to their winning ways.

Ivan Rakitić: “We know we must improve. We will make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

#VamosMiSevilla
#NuncaTeRindas

5 Likes

Starting? I’ll go with

Bono
Navas - Kounde - Diego - Escudero
Gudelj
Jordan - Oliver
Ocampos - De Jong - Munir

2 Likes

He doesn’t often go with an experimental lineup but I’ve a feeling he might tonight. Perhaps searching for a new formula with more punch.

But the problem is we never seem to have a plan apart from win 1-0 and if the other buggers score we’re up shit creek without a paddle.

3 Likes

Biggest trouble for me is we have two very good players in Carlos and Oscar, but we don’t play the 4-2-3-1 formation that suits them as both players beat position really is that 1 behind the main striker.

I’d be tempted (not necessarily tonight just in general to try…

Bono

Navas Kounde D. Carlos Acuña

Fernando       Jordan

Ocampos C. Fdez Munir

YEN

Sorry that has come out weird.

2 Likes

Vaclic
Navas - Kounde - Diego - Escudero
Fernando
Jordan - Oliver
Vazquez? - Carlos.F - Munir

Something like this? I think Ocampos needs a rest

1 Like

Bono

Navas - Kounde - Carlos - Acuña

Fernando - Jordan

Ocampos - C. Fdez - Munir

YEN

That worked better. :rofl:

The replacements in that system speak for themselves really.

Oscar in place of C. Fdez, de Jong for YEN, Gudelj / Rakitic for Fernando / Jordan. Etc etc.

1 Like

Just win.

3 Likes

So close haha

1 Like

Alrighty then must win here, Line up is alright. I like Munir in there. Vamoooss

1 Like

I also wouldn´t mind benching Ocampos, just from the start to trigger his will to prove himself. Now he gets angry when he didn´t accomplish much in 70 minutes.

2 Likes

oh wait, i didn´t see Vaclik in there at first, fingers crossed.

1 Like

Please for the love of God score at least 2, preferably 3 goals.

1 Like

Swedish striker Marcus Berg has a real good eye for goals and doesn´t need much. Funny to see him pop up in Krasnodar at the end of his career. Hope he doesn´t succeed tho.

1 Like

Nice strike from Ocampos that needed a good save. 7’

2 Likes

Jordan wins a PK from a weird little foul 9’
VAR takes a peak, Ref to the monitor

No way thats a penalty.

1 Like

Waived away and should have been.

Wait a handball I can see that tho… well not either. Seen that happen for a light touch but its better to not give it anyway.

1 Like

Decent pressure and good possesion, some chances. Jordan close as well.

Navas shot on goal - rebound to De Jong who passes back to Jordan who can’t find the touch needed for a shot in the open net.

Quick counter and Kounde picks up a yellow taking down the man on way to goal.

Freekick finds the back of the net - Vaclik doesn’t move.