Summer 2022 Transfers Conversation

According to Premier League fans Sevilla would finish between 6th and 15th in the Prem and Villa would challenge for top 4 in la liga.

Delusional isn’t the word.

3 Likes

Press are reporting DC to Villa as a done deal, and I repeat, only 48 hours ago the president of Sevilla said no selling unless the price offered is above market. So if DC really does go for €31m then all I can say is ‘you lyin son of a bitch Pepe Castro’.

2 Likes

Better be 15 million in variables for highly likely accomplishments…

play atleast 10 games, don’t relegate, score less than 5 own goals anything and a couple more of those cos. Otherwise we let ourselves get robbed.

2 Likes

Could it be that 31m is not the true figure? Maybe we don’t want possible selling clubs to know how much we have to spend lol.

3 Likes

I agree w/ that part Brian. In the same way his contract renewal didn’t make the press for 14 months for ‘strategic reasons’, the transfer fee will probably remain undisclosed.

2 Likes

BBC Sport reporting it as £26m.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that there might be some secret money or value that remains undisclosed, regardless, he goes into the hall of fame a hero and I wish him well.

1 Like

I’m absolutely gutted tonight to be honest and with Kounde surely on his way, we’ve got a lot of rebuilding to do. You wonder how many others could depart. Feel more annoyed that we’ve lost Diego to a 14th place team in the Premier League, doesn’t look good on our part or for La Liga reputation.

If I’m levelling though he’s 29 and not getting any younger and probably thought it was his best chance of getting a Premier League move and playing against some of the best in the world, so not necessarily a bad reflection on us though or La Liga.

What it does show though is that getting top 4 every season and winning the Europa League isn’t enough to be seen as a big club and keep the best players. Winning La Liga and Champions League is how we would have to get recognised. Also about status, being a big club isn’t all about results, it’s about history, fanbase, money etc and in the eyes of many outsiders we don’t make the cut as a ‘big’ club. Some EPL fans clearly see the likes of Villa as being bigger than us because of their large fanbase, European Cup success etc even if it was a long time ago and they’ve won nothing recently.

5 Likes

It’s a valid comment but leaves me with this question, why is he applying for Spanish citizenship/residence, we were told it was to play for the Spanish NT and would help him as Community status to play in any EU country. After Brexit the UK is not EU community and so that goes out the window ?

2 Likes

Didn’t Newcastle approach us with a better offer in January or am i remembering that wrong?

On one hand it is positive to get the deal done early so Monchi has plenty of time to get a replacement, but it does seem strange that it is over this quickly when apparently there was plenty of interest from bigger (and richer) clubs than Aston Villa. I don’t wanna believe the 31-ish pricetag - that seems ridicilous.

But thank you for everything, DC! You Will be remembered as a huge part in one of the best defences in the club’s history. I personally think you could have done way better than Aston Villa, but good luck!

4 Likes

Spanish Press saying sales price of 35+5

I don’t believe those historical acomplishments of Aston Villa, are the argument there.
Besides being just through history a good team with the 5th amount of points from the beginning of count. Their trophies are not noteworthy especially if its as many decades back. It’s the current stage, fame and level of the PL are just immense as well as their capital of their owners, which directly makes it currently a ‘powerful’ club in the world where money talks that’s normal, and we’re seeing the result.

So do you think Villa are bigger than us? How do you measure how big a club is?

I don’t, I think being record champion of an international European cup, shows more than all of those 100 years of hovering around in the PL and winning some FA cups. But currently ambitious and rich because of PL status does make them a big one by law.

1 Like

According to Radio Marca, the club had promised DC that they would listen to offers for him in the summer,. The sale became more of a necessity to balance this season’s accounts which had a sizeable gap following the poor CL performance.

DC is still crazy trading Sevilla for Birmingham, both in terms of the city and the football club…

3 Likes

So, any potential replacements linked?

Think the only ones mentioned here have been Senesi (Feyenoord) and Bremer (Torino)

Alternatively, there are a few decent center backs available on free transfers.

Anyone interested in Denayer (Lyon), Romangoli (Milan) or Mbemba (Porto) ?

I would try a bid for Calvin Bassey at Rangers, priced at £25m Reports in the UK press saying DC went for an initial £26m, so some “add ons” to come it would seem.

1 Like

vamosmisevilla’ are reporting Lopetegui out and Sevilla negotiating with Marcelino.
(If it’s true it will be a first for that site)

3 Likes

Turkish team Trabzonspor have apparently offered 5m euros for Augustinsson. This would get us our money back for him if it happens.

9 Likes

Oh god.