Sevilla vs Schalke: Antonio Puerta Trophy X

Hope everyone is coping well during this international break. It might actually be a good thing for everybody. But the football don’t ever stop.

We play the 10th edition of the Trofeo Antonio Puerta this evening vs Schalke. Yes, against the same team which our boy Antonio scored THAT goal. Caparrós has called up a squad of 20 featuring various players from the cantera.

No Bryan Gil as he’s with the Spain U19s. I am glad to see Pejiño called up again. Hope he sees some playing time.

There was a suggestion this week that we may play one of these friendlies against Real :poop:. What do you guys say to that? Y’all for or against it? I feel it would dampen any growing animosity, at least in the short term.

The match will take place at 2045 CET / 1545 EST, and can be streamed live on the Sevilla FC website, Facebook & Youtube.

And with all that, Antonio, let me just say that our left flank still hasn’t been the same without you. We miss you. We love you. And thank you for all you done for us. You will never be forgotten.

3 Likes

Starting XI:

1 Like

Gagnon decides to go forward puts in a lethal cross beats the goalkeeper, banega fires just wide. The starting 11 is a bit of a dog’s dinner but it’s working so far, Sevilla having the best of it.

So they turn off the lights at the 16th minute, stop the game, and do a homenage to Puerta laying flowers on the spot where he fell. Delivered by Javi Navarro and David Castedo who played on the night of the victory over Shalke Also helped by (I think) Makakula. 0-0

2 Likes

Bit of a Golazo by Roque Mesa who seems to be playing as a forward, put the ball in with style following a cross from the right wing. 1-0

2 Likes

Good game, lots to say, Lucho great 3rd goalkeeper, replaced in second half by another great goalkeeper (Javi) who made tremendous saves . Sevilla introduced players from Sevilla juvenil and they were more than OK. Average game by Mesa despite the goal, Gagnon, Banega, Gonalons and Arana played well, Vidal Ok but not great, Mudo the same, effective but not special enough to make the difference. I can’t fault any player with the lineup as it was but the future looks rosy with the younger players.

2-0 with the penaly of Munir

2 Likes

Those last 10 mins were really exciting when all the youngsters came on. Makes you wonder what if only 1 of them got a chance to regularly take part in the 25-man squad. Sometimes all it takes is a manager to believe in you. Once Caparrós has this team settled, maybe that 1 player can be Bryan Gil.

Overall, i think we made the most of the lineup we put out there. We pretty much had 5 central players in midfield, with fullbacks providing the width. Arana looked more like a player today. In other games he always seems more withdrawn and afraid to take risks. With Aleix, he made less of an impact, but it was still nice to finally see him out there.

As Tim mentioned, Gnagnon played well. Lucho (1st GK) was shaky to start the game, but made a brilliant 1v1 save. He was comfortable from then on. Javi Diaz for me looked the more composed of the 2 keepers and i wouldn’t mind if he got the start if Vaclík isn’t fit for Valencia.

It was a well-taken goal from Roque Mesa, as he hit a low, first-time shot from Amadou’s cross. I guess that would happen more often if his shots were more on target. And if Amadou continues to play final balls of that quality, we may have a stalwart at CM. The penalty was a bit of a gift, but a testament to Munir’s hard work. Perhaps he’ll be rewarded with a start next Sunday.

2 Likes