Sevilla vs Betis: Matchday 32 - El Gran Derbi

With almost a full squad back in training, the boys from Nervión prepare themselves for El Gran Derbi against the local rivals from Heliópolis. It feels like an eternity ago since the last match at the Villamarín, all the way back to Matchday 3. Much has transpired since then, but at the same time, not really (aka — we’re still ahead of them). If anyone isn’t familiar with how these matches have been recently, here’s a look at the H2H:

Earlier this decade, I remember these derbies being quite scrappy with a lot of shithousery. There’s still a bit of that as these types of games tend to be. But the style has changed as nowadays :poop: actually have a bit of quality on their side. A simple glance at a midfield of Carvalho, Guardado & Lo Celso says this team can do more than just disrupt play and try to steal a result from a setpiece. However, it’s been a mixed season for them after last campaign promised a lot of potential. They aren’t scoring in bunches like last year, and this has been since they started the season. But don’t expect me to feel bad for them. For myself not being from or living in the actual city of Seville, the view from afar is still clear: a better :poop: makes El Gran Derbi much better.

But how about the more important half of the city? Well, since Caparrós took over, we’ve won 3 & lost 1, scoring 5 goals & conceding just 1 (Valencia pen). That kind of form just screams out solidity. Contributing to that is the presence of Carriço, who has surprisingly been our best CB this season. Also, having Gonalons back has protected the defence and has brought discipline & diligence in the centre of the park. Those qualities which i felt were missing when a certain Roque Mesa was featured there. But lo & behold, the man of the hour, Roque looks a reinvigorated player once again under Caparrós. This might create a selection headache for the coach as to who will form the partnership in central midfield. Either way, we can at least admit we feel safe with this pair of hands after the clutch substitutions last week at Valladolid.

As if that match wasn’t stressful enough, Caparrós had revealed to us post-match that he’d been diagnosed with leukaemia.

“I have Sevilla in my blood but I have now been told that I do have a problem with the white and red blood cells in my body, I have chronic leukaemia,” Caparros revealed after the match.

“It will not stop me from doing my job or continuing with normalities in my everyday life, I am not receiving treatment for this and nobody should panic about me.

“My idea is to continue enjoying this job and working for this wonderful club. I will not discuss this any further.”

— excerpt from Football España article [http://www.football-espana.net/77640/sevilla-boss-joaquin-caparros-confirms-leukaemia]

Siempre contigo, míster.
Forever with you, boss.

TEAM NEWS
With the open-door training session having taken place today at the RSP, a notable omission was André Silva, who has been ruled out for the derby. Everyone else, bar Wöber (out for season), is seemingly available for selection. As usual for home matches, the matchday squad will be released the day of.

So guys, how should we lineup tomorrow? And more curiously, what is everyone’s favourite derby moment?

Nothing is promised in football, especially derbies, but tomorrow’s match should be fantastic.

elgranderbi
#LuchaPorLoQueAmas

2 Likes

Favourite derby moment is the 1st one I got a ticket to see live in the stadium.
Not bettered since.
(click “watch on YouTube”)

3 Likes

I just want a win, losing 3:5 at home is inexcusable, and I still remember how Pau Lopez got Mesa sent off by doing an MMA move, sure VAR did contribute by doing absolutely nothing but Lopez was dirty enough. Get a win, jeer him everytime he touches the ball and let the guys in red and white have him pick the ball out of his net at least 3 times, that’s all I’m asking.

5 Likes

Vamos! Away at Getafe next week so everything to play for today. Echale huevossssssss

3 Likes

Lineups are out!

Gonalons was reported to have picked up an injury (muscle problem), so he’s not in the squad at all. Navas & Escudero back on the flanks, and Vaclík back in goal!! :call_me_hand:t5:

2 Likes

VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

2 Likes

Mannn i’d love to have Gary Medel back!

1 Like

GOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!

Munir header from a Sarabia cross. VAMOS!!!

1 Like

MUNIR!!!

Always Sarabia creating.

1 Like

No idea why Capa had Roque starting on the left, but Munir ended up covering that position. We’ve adjusted and now have 3 men in midfield to combat Betis’ overload there. We finished the half well and we’re winning a lot of balls in their half. Ben Yedder almost scored the 2nd shortly after the opening goal. Vamos muchachos!

WBY should’ve killed the game off there, but in overall not a bad performance. We seem to play with mini-phases and sequences between sucking big time and playing like Barca (tiki-taka).

Can’t see us losing this one so it’s either a draw or a win for us. 3 points would be golden, so let’s score another one and kill it off. I think Promes is needed here as well in for Mudo.

2 Likes

GOOOOOOOOOOOOL

DEEEEE

SEVILLLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Ben Yedder to Sarabia. 2-1.

2 Likes

WBY+SARABIA

2 Likes

MUUUDOOOOOOOOOO

GOLAZOOOOOOO!!!

3-1. VAMOS!!!

2 Likes

MUDO!!!

1 Like

This ref is trying to ruin us.

1 Like

Wasn’t easy, but we fucking won. Mercado-Carrico combo are warriors, but fuck, sometimes they forget what sport they are playing.

3 Likes

Great match. Goals. Drama. End to end stuff.

But the most important thing, 3 points. Vamos mi Sevilla!

Jese MOTM? :rofl:

1 Like

Well earned 3 points. It’ll be the CL battle next week vs. Getafe. As much as we don’t deserve the 4th by the overall way we’ve played this season and the yin-yang phases/moods, still no one beneath us deserves it more, especially not the likes of puta betis!

2 Likes

Dude thanks for the great post! I miss the days of our longer pregame blog posts.

1 Like