Sevilla FC v Getafe - La Liga - Week 21

That was also my first impression, but looking at the replay, Cala’s elbow stops SR from making the catch. In retrospect, he should have punched it, so I guess that still falls on Rico’s shoulders…er, his hands…Or whatever it falls on…

1 Like

This is what happens with an Italian Manager, it just needed push, instead we had the Catenaccio. But it does pay off at times.

Have been trying to take the positives from yesterday…

Escudero was again immense at left back. Turns defense into attack very well. Has near perfect timing and balance.

Muriel when he came on continued to show signs that has the potential to be a younger, fitter and dare I say it ‘better’ version of Carlos Bacca… his transformation since Montella arrived has been very pleasing indeed.

Apart from the obvious mistake from Rico (and one other slack give away from Correa) we limited Getafe to very few clear chances.

Banega looked far more dangerous when Mudo went off the field. I am not sure he has the legs to last 90 minutes in this advanced position though.

That is about all I can think of for now…

1 Like

Firstly hello to all, I was at the game last night and have a few things to share.
1st half was a bit subdued but you have to credit Getafe for coming with a game plan to stifle the attack of Sevilla, saying that with the system that Montella prefers to play, having Ben Yedder as sole striker doesn’t fit the mould of the system imo, unless there is a 2nd striker willing to put pressure high up the field (such as Muriel), and Vazquez is not the answer anything right now, he has been very poor and really not suited for this team, but we don’t have anyone else right now!
Last week against Atletico we didn’t let them settle, Muriel ran his heart out where as Ben Yedder is not so much that type of player, but give him something to feed on and he will normally find a way to get a shot on target, I am also happy to see Nzonzi back alongside Banega, these 2 compliment each other and are the hub of all the good things to talk about.
Now to the Getafe goal incident, from where I was sat (P44) I thought it was a clear foul on Rico & thought initially that he had the ball in his hands, buit replays showed he didn’t, but the question you then ask, is if it was not a goalkeeper challenging for this ball and the Getafe player jump with elbow out leaning into the chest and neck of the Sevilla player would it have been a foul? In my opinion yes, from the images and pictures I have seen today I would say clearly that a foul did take place, and 9/10 the decision would have been given against Getafe and in the favour of Sevilla…
Getafe came not to win, but not to lose and maybe steal something from the game which they certainly did.
If we are to make some progress and catch up with the teams above it’s game like these we need to take all 3 points from, but I am confident that now the shackles have been removed from the Berizzo prison, and with 1-2 additions we can mount a more serious challenge to the teams above.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum mate! Always good to get insight from a fan who was inside the stadium.

Credit to Getafe like you say, they had a game plan and it worked for them in the end. We looked a bit leggy from what I could see on TV, which was no surprise, and they sat deep and gave us little space to exploit.

1 Like

Thanks! And yes been going for 4 years now, 2 as ST holder. Hope to contribute some more now I found you guys!
Since the game against Betis where we crumpled and didn’t find our direction after the 18 second opener I feel we have progressed a lot and starting to look for confident with a purpose to our game that was missing under Berizzo, and the lack of major rotation certainly has helped stabilize the team also in last few games.
2 weeks ago I would have wrote off any chance against Utd, but even after the slip up last night I still feel that if we can play to our strengths like we did against Atletico we have a real chance to snatch something if we can go to Old Trafford with a solid gameplan of our own, the atmosphere in RSP can be very intimidating when on song and so many teams game can be affected, for me there are no better fans or atmosphere in any other stadium win, lose or draw!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the stay here. Glad you found this place and hopefully we will have lots of valuable posts from you, as well as participating in the discussions that go around here.

Also as Jonathan said, always good to have an ‘insider’ to provide details from the matches in RSP.

Cheers!

1 Like

I sit in F24 almost in line with the penalty spot and that was no doubt in my mind a foul on Rico.
The ref didn’t give us anything all night, but we should have sewn the game up long before the end. Mudo had a very poor game and looked tired from the start.
After previously being very critical of Muriel I’m pleased to say he’s growing on me, he seems to have come alive since Montella arrived and we are seeing flashes of why we bought him.
Mercado & Lenglet gave another solid performance, Escudero never stopped running and both Banega & N’Zonzi played well.

Can’t agree re the “Biris” Tim they never stopped singing.

2 Likes

Nicely worded reply Brian, yes I was not sure at first, mainly because I am sat at the other end under the main stand, and agree totally that the ref seemed to give Getafe the 50/50 and us almost nothing!
And I too am in agreement about Muriel, his work rate within the team playing this style seems to work better than with Ben Yedder, because we can press the ball higher up the pitch and squeeze our defence higher too. We just need to replace Mudo or at least have some competition.
The Biris will always sing, from the start to the finish and nobody should be critical of their contribution
#VamosMiSevilla

1 Like

I think the crowd in general were not as vociferous as they were on Tuesday, which is understandable, but could hear the Biris loud and clear on TV. Not sure if Tim was at the game or not… but I know from my 1 and a half seasons attending games (Feb 2015 - May 2016) I can’t recall 1 game were the Biris were not fully behind the team from start to finish… except perhaps once we went 1-3 down to Man City in the CL…

Welcome @sevilla_spurs! By the way guys, you can follow him on Twitter as well https://twitter.com/Sevilla_Spurs

He is a good follow.

1 Like

Yep, even when we were very poor under Berizzo at home and struggling the Biris were on song (they always are), admittedly end of the game they let Berizzo and the players know what they thought of the performance. Which is understandable, but during the game the songs were flowing and only frustration was lack of inspiration from both the coach and players going forward

One thing I don’t think anyone has mentioned, I thought Navas had another good game at RB. No clear mistakes that I remember and had some really dangerous crosses.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris, wasn’t sure if I could port external links and didn’t want to be put in the sin bin :slight_smile:
As per my user, I write/comment about Spurs and of Course Sevilla in both English & Spanish, and do tend to upload some videos from Sevilla games when deemed useful in highlighting the passion this clubs fans have over any other!

Totally agree, I was surprised at Navas being rb last week and thought it was a master stroke!
With his speed to track runners and ability to get forward and overlap Sarabia it worked really well and meant there was always a good outlet from Banega who looked to make a pass in that area more than the left

haha, not many rules around these parts. Just be nice is the only one haha.

1 Like

Brian, I have to disagree with you disagreeing with me, The problem is that the Biris never stop singing and don’t react spontaneously when the team needs a lift. They actually have a set repertoire and sometimes forget their real purpose. Sometimes that spontaneity happens sort of er … spontaneously and sometimes it doesn’t, it’s confusing, but I know what I mean. :grin:

2 Likes

I sort of know what you mean Tim but as we saw last season without their support the place is like a library. It does help when the rest of the ground joins in rather than singing the himno then sitting quietly eating their pipas for the rest of the time.They only get involved when we’re 3-0 up or in the really big games.
I remember the semi final against Valencia & the 1-0 win over Juve. My ears were ringing for days after, the noise was incredible. If only every game was the same.

1 Like

Now the pipas don’t come out until halftime. :slight_smile:

That was such a culture shock coming from the US to my first La Liga game. Half time whistle, and all these folks start pulling sandwiches out, and I am forced to buy the worst hot dog I have ever had in my life.

That would never happen in the US. Baseball lets you take in a bag of sunflower seeds, but that’s about it. I guess Nascar will let you take things in, but American football, hell no.

In all fairness the atmosphere last week against Atletico had singing all around the stadium, sections do sing and follow the lead of the Biris but because it’s staggered voices maybe it doesn’t seem like it, but when they do all join in there is no other place like it. I also think they have been a little subdued in previous months with nothing much to get excited about apart from the 0-3 comeback against Liverpool when the 2nd half was unreal edge of seat stuff!
These clips are from last Tuesday’s game vs Atletico, the area where I sit is normally quite vocal and entertaining:
https://twitter.com/Sevilla_Spurs/status/955955474230403072
https://twitter.com/Sevilla_Spurs/status/955942314467385345