Sevilla @ Athletic: 1st leg - CdR Round of 16

So the trilogy begins against a rejuvenated Athletic Bilbao side who are unbeaten in 5 games (3W, 2D) after firing Eduardo Berizzo in early December. They aren’t playing like the relegation threatened side of earlier this season.

We all know San Mamés is always a tough ground, and our record there has proven it. I could only remember that 1st leg win in the 2016 EL, and a 4-0 win in 2008. They have a rich history in this competition, so this is by no means a cake walk.

As mentioned, this is a trilogy of games. We’re playing in the same stadium on Sunday, so it’ll be interesting to see how Machín rotates this squad. Lineups are out, so this is how we’re lined up today:

Looking like a 3-4-3…

Soriano
Mercado - Kjær- Carriço
Promes - Amadou - Mesa - Arana
Vázquez - Silva - Nolito

…unless Machín does something else with Nolito. Carriço & Vázquez are suspended for the weekend game so they get the start. I’m only interested in 1 player today, and that’s Promes. We need him to excel for this team to go up a level. Either way, should be an exciting game.

¡VAMOS MI SEVILLA!

4 Likes

Not very optimistic but let’s see… a positive result might be on the cards tonight.

VAMOS!

1 Like

Athletic are really crapola as a team, the question is, are Sevilla’s second choice CDR players up to that level. The team doesn’t look too bad but there won’t be many sparks flying between Nolito and Arana. The bench is strong though and this is over 180 minutes.

It’s a 3-5-2 with Nolito & Silva up top.

Is Nolito drunk?

GOOOOOOL de Nolito!!!

Whaaaaaat?!? :joy:

1 Like

Much better Nolito. Great ball Mudo. Good work Silva.

1 Like

Lovely ball by Mudo, and terrific finish by Nolito. Great start.

1 Like

Nolito answers his critics (me) but what was he doing seconds earlier, a blatant penalty and he tried to play on?

1 Like

Is it just me, or Arana is so shitty…

2 Likes

It’s not you

1 Like

He’s mediocre. Probably playing at a level too high. He’s not a liability, but he doesn’t really do anything well either.

Aduriz injured, hope it’s nothing trivial.

1 Like

Now he scores, and is injured again, is he a Zombie?

Aduriz should be off. Clearly elbowed Carriço.

1 Like

Vasquez’s trademark is to lose ball in dangerous zone…

1 Like

Crazy, VAR says offside but the images say no.

Offside on the earlier move.

1 Like

Not quite as often as Banega

2 Likes

Sevilla are really handing the game to Athletic, need to reorganize at half time.

2 Likes