Sevilla 2020-21 season (and pre-season)

Damn it! Kounde has COVID-19. Will miss Saturday and beyond. :frowning: Fuck the International Break!

2 Likes

FFS!

1 Like

Kind of glad we got Rekik now.

1 Like

This will be one of our many challenges this season. But this early?? :weary:

2 Likes

Could be without J Navas too tomorrow, he has not trained today and has some physical problem says Lopetegui.
So it’s looking like Sergio Gomez & Vidal will be in our defence against Granada. Idrissi is also ruled out due to injury.

4 Likes

A bit surprised about the Navas news. Monchi gave an interview the other day and said that he asked Navas if he needed a rest after he got back form Spain duty and he said, “No.” Monchi said he thought he hurt his feelings by asking. haha

3 Likes

Could be that his heart is saying no… but his body is screaming YES! So the brain probably listened to the body this time and he might not play tomorrow.

2 Likes
1 Like

Strangely until you posted this Chris I never knew Diego Simeone played for Sevilla. :scream::scream::scream: I’ve learnt something today.

One good thing, if the lad ever wanted to play for Sevilla he has dual Argentine / Spanish nationality. :wink:

2 Likes

Nine years ago, Varas saved a Messi PK late to preserve a 0-0 draw in Camp Nou. That was a fun match.

I was watching in a bar in Madrid and the whole bar was going nuts with me. haha

2 Likes

Coincided with Diego Maradonna whose first goal was a penalty on Oct 14 (woooo, spooky). I also think they coincided with Davor Suker, Monchi was in the squad but second goalie until late 1990’s.

1 Like

Yup Monchi was back up to Unzue I think?

1 Like

True. I think he went to Madrid. I bought a Trivial Pursuit of Sevilla in 2006. I was useless at it but I picked up a few things. The previous goalie Buyo also played for the national team.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

If you have never seen it you should find the Buyo fuck up on the last game of the season against Tenerife that cost Real Madrid the title in the last minute, literally one of the worst bits of goalkeeping you will ever see. :sweat_smile::wink:

Hard to find good clear footage of it, but basically the Tenerife player hit a pot shot on goal that was going about 6 yards wide, Buyo for reasons unknown made an attempt to keep the ball in play (surely he didn’t think it was going in?), and ended up parrying the ball back towards an open goal where the Tenerife player had a tap in. :rofl:

3 Likes

Worth pointing out I cannot speak Spanish but the bloke in the left box I believe is Francisco Buyo. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

1st photo. I don’t recognize everyone, but top left is Rafa. next is Martignon, the goalie is Unzue, next is Suker.

Bottom left is Simeone, then Monchu (yes we had a Monchu), next Marcos and last 2 are Maradonna and looks like BiriBiri who probably wasn’t playing because he’s not of that team and he’s got a jacket on.

2 Likes

Sleeper to reach semifinals

Sevilla

Group: E
Odds of reaching the semis, per FiveThirtyEight: 15%
First match: drew with Chelsea 0-0
Next match: vs. Rennes (Wednesday)

I know, I know: wrong tournament. Sevilla are kings of the Europa League, having won it six times since 2006, so it’s easy to simply assume they’ll finish third in their group, land in the Europa knockout round and make a run.

They have a real chance to make some noise in the UCL this time around, though. They’ve done so before, after all – they made the quarterfinals in 2018, barely falling to Bayern Munich, and they’ve now scored a road draw against their top Group E challenger in Chelsea. The Blues and Rennes both remain exciting teams, but the path to winning Group E is quite manageable.

Also … they’re pretty dang good. They brought in far more than they sent out in the transfer window, they gave Bayern fits in an eventual extra-time loss in the UEFA Super Cup, and while their goal-scoring form has left them a bit in La Liga play – after scoring three goals in their league opener, they’ve scored just two since – their xG figures are solid, and their passing game is sublime. And in an offense-friendly group, they have the sturdiest defense led by centre-backs Diego Carlos and Jules Kounde.

3 Likes

I see Sergei Gomezski was training today so his injury can’t have been too bad the other night.

3 Likes