School Project

Hi everyone, this may be a little off topic, but I was wondering if you all could help me with a school project I have and help provide me with some information? I have to write an informative speech and I’m writing one about the history of El Gran Derbi, so I was wondering if any of you could help me and give me some information about the history of the rivalry and the clubs

2 Likes

Well the obvious points are that the rivalry is because the two teams are from the same City. Obviously there is more to it, but the main reasoning is that Sevilla FC tended to be the team of the rich, whilst Real Bėtis Balompie was the team of the poor people.

It’s still remarkable to me that two such huge teams from such a huge City as Seville have only ever won one Primera Division title each in over 100 years of existence.

5 Likes

Jim ( @SurreySevilla ) can give you more info on this as he is both a Sevilla and :poop: fan at the same time. Do an interview with him as part of the project.

6 Likes

Imagine supporting :poop:

6 Likes

I’ll send you some links tomorrow.

4 Likes

There is also a book in english - The frying pan of Spain by Colin Millar. It is a book about history of the city and presents both clubs from the start, especially the relationship beetween the clubs. Really great to see how the rivalry progressed over the years. Interesting stuff to read, even if not for school.

8 Likes

I’ve never seen anything but a healthy rivalry, really good natured. It got a bit tense with :poop: in 2005/06** but after the death of Antonio Puerta both sides of the city came together and it’s been perfect since 2007. It was more professional after that too, all the pre-derby declarations were toned-down.

The interesting thing is that families are often split down the middle and when someone is :poop: or Sevilla but have no real interest in football, they still don’t like to hear anyone dissing their club.

** Del Nido struck on the nose by a lighter and Juan de Ramos knocked out by a water bottle in the Villarmarin stadium.
Sevilla forced Beti to change their kit in the RSP,

8 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

“The Frying Pan of Spain” was a really good read. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Thank you all!

3 Likes