Opinions on Lopetegui's Sevilla

So 18 months and 1000 posts later, it’s come to this, he finally leaves.

Should have gone after season three i.m.o, and at the latest during the international break. Now Sampaoli has a grand total of less than 72 hours to sign his contract, do on-board stuff, figure out who is crap and who is absolute crap in the squad and give an idea of a tactic that would prevent a rout at home vs Bilbao on Saturday. Pathetic planning that fits the main theme of this season really.

But if anyone can do it, it’s Sampaoli. Still remember his first game with us, somehow fits Kiyotake, Vitolo, Mudo, Sarabia and Vietto in a lineup and wins the game 6-4 with Pareja being the only designated centre back in the starting 11. Absolute madness, and I loved it.

10 Likes

Wow, quite the nostalgia there. Kiyotake!

3 Likes

This is a factor of ‘Belief’ over reason, when an entity has faith in a project and dedicate their lives to it they invariably can’t see when it’s going wrong and continue to believe.

Faith and Belief belong in Church, not in business.

4 Likes

Gracias Julen

4 Likes

He was doing pretty well here, had a debut goal and was a threat going forward. I was even asking a Japan based friend of mine if he would open up the Asian market for Sevilla. Then I think he lost his son and was too mentally scarred to play so he went back to Japan where he plays to this day, very sad story.

3 Likes

Lope turned down the wolves job due to personal reasons. His father not well being the main reason according to Spanish sources. Hoping all will be alright in the lopetegui family and wish his father good health.

8 Likes

After seeing today’s match against Valencia, I have two words: FUERA LOPETEGUI!

Oh, argh, a bit late to this thread?

1 Like

Lope officially signed for Wolves today - he’ll take charge from 14th of November.

4 Likes

Good luck to him. He’ll need it with the mess they’re in. Not an easy job to go for.

Hope it works out though!

3 Likes

I think he’ll keep them up and steady that defence. That’s definitely his strength and it’s a good club for him. Expectations won’t be to demanding which will suit him more. I wish him well.

2 Likes

Nothing to wish for him given how the club is right now. The Wolves team is solid defensively but pretty blunt upfront, a pretty good match if you ask me.

The English press and fans have limited patience so if things don’t work out in a month or so the tide would turn. Nuno Esprinto Santo got only 17 games with spurs before he was booted.

Who knows, maybe lopeball is a perfect fit for the EPL.

3 Likes

Lopetegui inspiring Wolves revival already. Pleased for him and I hope he keeps them up!

1 Like

Not sure if this subject line is a good fit for this, per se, but figured I’d tag along to Mark’s comment from December and highlight that a Wolves squad with Sarabia now up front just shellacked Liverpool (now with Gakpo and Mo Salah up from)

4 Likes

I’m glad he’s having success. It sucks that he fizzled out here, but I don’t harbor any hard feelings towards the man.

4 Likes

“Lopetegui’s Hardest Decision”

Seems that Lope learned his lesson with Sevilla. A dream can quickly turn into a nightmare without the right financial planning scenarios.

Curious what he’ll do next season at Wolves, or if he’ll leave

1 Like

The Athletic recently had a good article about his season at Wolves as well.

1 Like

Was going to say earlier sounds like Lope already lining up leaving Wolves.