MD9 - Sevilla FC at Mallorca [22/23]

1 Like

A little at a time… the enthusiasm to watch Sevilla FC is coming back.

This time it could be stronger than ever in the last 3 seasons and more.

3 Likes

Vedat Muriqi won’t be there. Best opportunity we are getting, to get our first Sampaoli win. I’m never really impressed with Mallorca, but we lately always struggle unnecessarily. Hope we shed that off of us, and get a sounding victory with some joy on the players faces again.

3 Likes

I agree. Although I will still take a draw if you offered it to me haha! Maybe lope old mentality is still refusing to leave me haha :laughing:

1 Like

Was interesting to hear Sampaoli in today’s presser say that the team is closer to falling back than it is to moving forward. They pressed him on it, asked if he was just trying to moderate expectations, and he insisted that he thinks the improvement has been overstated and that the team is still stuck in some mental ruts and could easily end up back in the same place they were two weeks ago.

Let’s hope not🤞

3 Likes

Dynamite more like. What I get is that he wanted to put the existing team on a better footing with more freedom to play but it appears the team want to abandon the system totally and are impatient for change. So his honeymoon period goes out the window and he has to build Rome in 7 days.

I still don’t have a clue what happened with Rafa Mir but something did happen and it will come out in time.

1 Like

Just seen the lineup. Wow, no striker again? Sampaoli doesn’t have any faith in any of our strikers. How are we meant to win with a lineup like this though? :joy: Let’s see I guess.

1 Like

It’s a clear message that we need a striker in January, urgently!

We’ll probably have lots of possession with this lineup as it is very technical up front. I like this one honestly… could be fun!

It seems like a 4-2-3-1 that can transform to 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 as the game progresses.

1 Like

Today’s lineup:

Mallorca XI:

2 Likes

It’s something different I suppose. We will have lots of the ball but worry about our cutting edge up front. None of the players up front are clinical goal scorers.

We will see how it goes. Mallorca are no mugs though and I expect a tough match tonight. Let’s hope for the best. Vamos mi sevilla!

2 Likes

It’s amazing to me how we find ourselves in striker hell, but i like that Sampaoli isn’t messing about with the selections. None of the 3 CFs do anything in the buildup, so let’s actually play with 11 players. And if anything, Nianzou & Marcao at the back for the 3rd straight game is very encouraging.

4 Likes

It could be a great move. If Isco, Oliver and Lamela click well in them positions. I guess I don’t know what to expect but we will see how this experiment goes.

2 Likes

There’s less aerial threat from Mallorca without Muriqi (crosses, set-pieces) and a bit less threat in overall for Marcao and Nianzou, but as you said Mark, Mallorca are no mugs and could punish us if we don’t play well.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a very good point and will help us out at the back. Mallorca though have played pretty tight this season not conceding much and playing good sides close. They were unlucky to lose 0-1 to Barca not long ago.

I’m pleased to have Marcao and Nianzou together again though. Hopefully they can form the partnership we desire as they look decent together in last couple of games. It will definitely help us not leak as many goals.

Let’s see. Vamos!

1 Like

I don’t like how Mallorca can see Oliver as playmaker because it gives them opportunity to mark him out or punish physically. If that takes the pressure off Rakitic he could compensate some.

1 Like

Would you prefer to sell Mir or En-Nesyri?

The mental rut is definitely there. 3.25 seasons of lopeball does that to you. All that passing around trying to make the opposition fall asleep makes you fall asleep mentally too. With no full pre-season or even an international break for Sampaoli to break everything down the road ahead is long. Thankfully not many will go to world cup so there are two months to build up some progress.

Also, as we have said the overall quality is pretty crap, will take 3-4 windows to shed out the crap and actually sign some good players.

As for today, play for the draw and hope for a win. Sampaoli has not had good fixtures to kick off his second spell, home to bilbao, away to dortmund and now a trip to mallorca.

2 Likes

Seems like scouting report on us (rightly) has them pressing against us.

Huge save from Bono. Uninspiring stuff from us so far

1 Like