MD31: Sevilla FC at Athletic Club

ESPN is throwing out Suso’s full name in the preview article :joy:

I always hate watching us play at San Mames haha. However, I think with the good vibes around the club right now, see no reason we can’t go in, fight, and get a result. They are in great form no doubt, but we can get it done.

This is the toughest league matchup for us since Mendilibar took over. Let’s see what we can do!

I’m of the mind that if we were able to beat Man United, we can beat anyone else on our schedule this year. We just need to come out with the intention to do so.

5 Likes

Athletic Club are on a tear as of late winning 4 of their last 5 matches. Their last loss in the league was to Barcelona at home 0-1 on March 12th.

They have moved Inaki back out wide (never should have been played as a center forward IMO) so with him and his brother Nico, our fullbacks will have a lot of work to do.

Sevilla hasn’t lost to Athletic Club since March 05, 2021 a 0-1 defeat at home.

Athletic Club Bilbao will be without Iker Muniain due to injury, as well as Zarraga and Vesga due to yellow card accumulation. Also missing is Inago Lekue and Jon Morcillo.

For Sevilla, we will be missing Joan Jordan, and Marcao. Tecatito is listed as doubtful.

The ref for this match is Hernandez doble. with David Medie Jimenez in the booth.

4 Likes

1 Like

Nianzou not on the list either?

Nope; not sure why. Haven’t seen any reports, but I haven’t been looking either.

1 Like

Supposed to have a root canal tomorrow when this comes on but gonna have it rescheduled haha. Feel very confident for some reason.

Vamos!

2 Likes

Unfortunately every team we are chasing or in the fight with pulled out a victory except for Mallorca. Girona beat Real Madrid 4-2, Osasuna beat Cadiz, Rayo beat Barca 2-1, and Celta beat Elche 1-0. At the end of the day tomorrow, we could be tied on 10th place, or as low as 14th.

1 Like

I’m telling you, stop aspiring. Surely there’s a bit of small money in climbing the table, but I think we just need to be happy with anything above 18. And math seems clearer by the day that we’re safe.

3 Likes

Agreed, if there is a way to make it through to a good ending and European football it won’t be via the league table. 3 more good results in the Europa League and the whole miserable year is saved. The club receives tens of millions (50+) for the CL qualification and probably more from possible bonusses. We won’t be as desperate to sell as many players again, against low balled prices like last season. And it would almost be like nothing happened.

We need a great flow in the team for Europe, which for now we are having. Not too much pressure, but enjoyment and believe and that 7th cup will be ours.

3 Likes

Although we should be looking to throw out some of the shit just because they are exactly that… Shit! :grin:

Let’s keep the momentum going guys. We hope for the highest league finish possible and keep the momentum going before europa league semis. Vamos Sevilla!

2 Likes

Our best XI?

5 Likes

Athletic Club lineup:

2 Likes

Maybe … and the bench looks strong too but we’re a bit light once again in central defence.

2 Likes

Looking more & more likely that Bono is away in the summer then?

1 Like

I trust that MARCA got the uniform selection right on this schematic lineup

Would make for quite an entertaining match.