MD17 : Sevilla FC at Girona

It’s true that these are not necessarily the type of players suited for Sampaoli’s system, however, we fell into this shithole because of Lope and the negative tactics. He had a much better squad in previous seasons and still played like crap. When you deteriorate for 3 seasons in a row then no wonder things will lead to this.

Lope was in fact kept here for too long, contributing to this chaos. Not one positive thing came out of his management, not a single thing. We all saw how Porto fans were saying all over YT and forums that once Lope left, they a very painful transitioning period and it was not easy to get back on their feet.

Lope has completely DESTROYED Sevilla in regards to football performance and now we’re suffering the aftermath. Perhaps Sampaoli is not the one for this specific period, which is a very difficult one to manage and it’s more psychological than anything else. However, I really wouldn’t want to be in the management’s shoes at this time… it will take a lot of work, trial and error and most importantly, time, for things to get better.

I just hope that we will not have a major screw-up like relegation in the process. Anything else is a bonus.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to put all that on lope. If anything the sevilla management rested on their levels and didn’t try to improve the squad at all.

They sold kounde and Carlos and did nothing to improve the situation. Ocampos also went which didn’t help.

The way monchi, castro and the rest of the board have run things in last year or 2 is the main reason we find ourselves here.

Lope may have been negative but he was effective at getting results and organising defence. I feel he will probably help keep Wolves up.

He had to go at time as he ran his course but ultimately I don’t blame him for where we are.

1 Like

Everyone is at fault. Lopetegui for not trusting in youth. Monchi for not pushing smart decisions in transfers and investing in youth and maybe relying too much on data instead of watching players. Castro for maybe investing too much into infrastructure and not enough in scouting, and especially not reinvesting in the squad after the transfers of Kounde and Carlos.

6 Likes

Putting all those criticisms aside, and they are mostly valid, to me we really need to re-think the transition out of defence. Girona had 3 players at the edge of the penalty area just waiting for us to slip up and we handed them the game.

Jordan and Rakitic, I don’t want to see them paired again.

Playing too defensive line was a tactical error, there was no outlet.

5 Likes
Originally sent in Sevilla FC at Girona
ChrisLail

Vamos! I almost forgot about the match in the morning. Let's go!

RyanMoore

The big question of today's match: will Januzaj score two goals or three?
Vote in the main thread with the hashtag #JanuzBrace or #JanuzHatTrick

@SurreySevilla , James I saw you commented on the squad, what's your vote? :smiling_face:. Kidding, but I agree with you that the squad looks slightly more convincing that last couple weeks. Can't wait to get Tecatito back. I'm still counting on a brand new (ice cold) Tecatito by the end of the season... Filling the gaps left by Papu, Ocampos, etc

Jesus

Champions League Football GIF by UEFA

Can't wait to bag another three points to leave begind that relegation zone!

SurreySevilla

Vote?

ShendM

VAMOS!

ChrisLail

Interesting lineup. What a cool stadium Girona has.

Jesus

Fernando the veteran with a rookie mistake

ChrisLail

Rare to see him with the ball taken away

Jesus

Fernando. again, wow... Isn't that sharp today.

ChrisLail

What is happening

Ugg

jdecourcey

Oh my. Our defense is super shaky today

Oliver sure can pull the ball out of the air. So close there

sob 1
Jesus

Hahaha talking about undeserved

heart 1
jdecourcey

Nianzou !!!!

ChrisLail

Sweet! What a delivery!

Rene1

Wow we’re shifting here for in game nonsense? Against the run of play! But hopefully wakes us up!

Jesus

Our whole defense gets into panic mode everytime that left forward goes for a dribble.

Rene1

Our defense doesn’t have the skill to deal with this press. Or maybe it’s a midfield failure for not giving options? Either way it’s a frightening adventure every time we try to get out of our half

point_up_2 1
ChrisLail

No way we have the legs to keep this up for 90 minutes, especially with no options really on the bench.

+1 1
Jesus

Fernando ripe for a substitution

ChrisLail

Not sure why Fernando started in the back. Gudelj is the better choice there of course.

heart 1
Rene1

Ref really with a ton of play one in both directions. Defense has to play to the whistle cus otherwise dangerous

Play ons

ChrisLail

Dumb Acuña! We have no left backs.

Rene1

Really dumb

ChrisLail

He's been invisible thus far and then that. Ugg

How do you let Stuani go unmarked. Good lord.

We make so few forward runs. I would love to see that Stat.

Edinho

We're getting forward so easily

and they're giving us a TON of space

ShendM

Bring in Alvarez, Lamela and YEN!

Edinho

^^^

ChrisLail

Need pace for sure

Montiel and Lamela on for Bade and Fernando. Not what I was expecting

Changing formation 4 3 3 with Jordan as holding?

Rene1

Ref really lets them play. It’s confusing the players

Terrible turnover by gudelj. And did the announcer just call our player an idiot for holding up on that counter?

Edinho

Graham Hunter just called Rafa an idiot for that pass to Lamela LMAO

ChrisLail

That can't be allowed ever. I like Graham but that is a mistake.

Rene1

I agree. That’s not appropriate

My god. Now mir skies a wide open look

ChrisLail

Is YEN injured? I mean hell this striker performance is terrible

That was the chance.

jdecourcey

Ugh

CuriousSea11

Absolutely terrible on both sides of the ball. Deserved loss

Edinho

Like this!? Smdh

Rene1

Deserved

ChrisLail

Sampaoli has many questions to answer for this managerial performance. Terrible

Rene1

Very very poor… dare I say idiotic?

ChrisLail

Haha is that you Graham

2 Likes

Didn’t catch the game yesterday but sounds a familiar story this season.

Two home wins against Cadiz and Elche is a must.

2 Likes

Mark mate, not calling you out here but you are very lenient on Lope. He has had the luxury of spending loads of cash at mediocre players (Suso, Lopes, Oscar, Idrissi) and some he doesn’t he give any minutes before shipping them off. He has had unwavering faith from the board and had more than ample time to set up his own philosophy (whatever that is) and tactics. This season Monchi helps him sign his favorite pupil in Isco despite having a glut of attacking midfielders and he only gave one good game before sodding off after Lope did.

Let’s look back at what he managed to achieve at the club at three years, yes there’s the europa league triumph but I dare say if it was a full two legged affair Roma or Man Utd would have knocked Sevilla out easily. Couple that in with losses to Mirandes and the most dysfunctional Barcelona of the decade in CDL, flunking the easiest Champions League group last year and following that with an absolutely abysmal 10 match non-winning streak. That is enough to bin him three times over.

Sampaoli hasn’t managed the best of his and the squad’s abilities and some tactical choices were questionable but to get an unbalanced team out of a 3 year rut is tough enough in itself. If he sign up for this on his own I’m not sure who would come.

5 Likes