MD:34 Sevilla FC vs Cádiz (29-04-2022)

That was a wonderful save. It might’ve looked technically easy, but a gk really needs some strong wrists for that powerful shot from short distance.

5 Likes

The problem is clear. We’re great until we score, the defence gets nervous, the midfield gets affected and doesn’t recover any posession … the attack suffers. And Lope stands there shouting at the attackers.

Should be 1-2 if not for a Bono save and a Koundé headed clearance.

Referee is indeed shitty, 2 for us 3 for them like clockwork. Gradually shifting the scales.

At least half a dozen corners to Cadiz thanks to our negativity.

4 Likes

We can’t fault the players spirit these first 45 minutes. It just isn’t a well oiled machine. It looks unorganized which cracks the defense open and slows the fluency of attacks.

2 Likes

I really think the midfield just gets exhausted after the early pressure and then start dropping further and further back. First 15-20, Jordan really up close to our box. Not so much later on.

1 Like

There are huge quality discrepancies between our defense/gk and other parts, especially midfield. A world class CB, LB and a world class goalie compared to a midfield made of Rakitic and Jordan… absolutely terrible and not suitable for a decent 4-3-3. Average sure… but average midfield will get you average results. The only reason midfield functioned well, especially in the defensive part, is Fernando.

Then we have the attacking part which is a hit or miss… much better with Lamela and Papu on, but still, nothing compared to our defense, including the flanks with Acuna and Navas.

4 Likes

This is the typical LaLiga game where we should dominate. We’ve become too accustomed to rest on our laurels after scoring. I could understand not expending all your energy in the first half, but we’re letting Cadiz back into the game too easily. I could single out individual performances, but the dropoff comes collectively.

3 Likes

Can’t argue with that, it’s true but what causes the drop off after we score? To me it’s something psychological and those world class defenders are involved.

1 Like

I will never forget and forgive Jordan for his second half performance against RM. It was Tercera division material and the guy is simply not up to par for a 4-3-3 in modern football. He may function better in a 4-2-3-1 or similar… but not in this formation. His legs were shaking in that second half and it was a disastrous performance. I’ve lost all faith in him and can’t wait to see a revamped midfield without Jordan and Rakitic there, for once. Rakitic is only suitable to be fielded around the 70-75th minute to control the match, but even then it’s a huge risk against pacier opponent midfielders. Huge respect for the vice-captain but it’s time to step off.

2 Likes

Good first 10 minutes and a couple of good moments on the right side through Papu and Lamela after that, but Cadiz has definitely been in the picture with a few chances helped by their high press.

En-Nesyri helped get the goal, but since then has been ineffective again and did his usual Bambi on ice impression twice in good position. But he provides an outlet for long balls from the back on counter-attacks, although the ball does not stick with him.

Need to attack more and with sharper passing around the box. In the absence of Rafa Mir, would not mind trying a false 9 with Tecatito/Lamela in place of YEN.

4 Likes

Unrelated to performance: anyone knows why Youssef has a huge “A” shaved in his hair?

2 Likes

Same w/ when players do an “A” sign when they score… I have no idea. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think it could be due to the automatism in this system. The system is very simple, it’s take it slow, no rush, concentrate on not losing the ball, wasting time etc. and then only try to create stuff sporadically. The first goal is key in this system and after we score, the mind starts playing games on the players, allowing them to think it’s ‘mission completed’. That is because it’s been done a lot, rinse and repeat, it became a bad habit.

Now it will be quite difficult even when you really want to seal the game off - consequences of the system.

I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.

1 Like

As Chris and Tim warned about the ref… we better score the second soon or it could get complicated, unnecessarily.

2 Likes

Alejo deserves a solid punch to his face so he can stop playacting.

2 Likes

I don’t understand those subs.

1 Like

Tecatito sighting…

Any idea why he didn’t start?

picked up a knock sometime in the week.

Takes off Lamela one of our main threats along with Papu. I don’t get it.

1 Like

What the hell was that about?

1 Like

Papu did not come off - Rakitic did.