Matchday 3: Sevilla v Celta Vigo [2019-20]

WHEN?
Friday, August 30th, 2019
1400 EST / 2000 CEST / 0400 AEST

We’re back at it at the exact same time slot as last week. This time the RSP faithful can welcome back the team after roughly 100 days since the last game took place there.

Although a work in progress, Lopetegui has built a defensively solid base on which to draw from, with the Portuguese-speaking trident of Carlos / Fernando / Carriço. This was evidenced by our 2 clean sheets, and the latter’s recent call-up to the Portugal NT. Still, there’s much to be worked on in terms of chance creation, as many new players have incorporated into the first team.

The squad list for home matches is habitually released on the day of, hence we’ll find that out on Friday morning. No major injury concerns to report, as Reguilón rejoined the group in training earlier this week after that nasty clash of heads against Granada. Ocampos did end up separate from the squad on Tuesday due to the same knock to his right ankle from Matchday 1, but he has also been training normally since.

REASSURANCE
This fixture last season was a tight affair that ended 2-1. Celta Vigo are coming off a win vs Valencia, and will hope to bring that giant-killing form to the Pizjuán. It would be a great way to cap off this perfect start in front of the home fans with another win, and head into the int’l break top of the table. Let’s give the boss a belated birthday gift for him to enjoy throughout these next couple weeks.

¡A por ellos!

#WeAreSevilla

6 Likes

VAMOS!!! Thanks @Edinho for another great post! I’m excited to finally be back in our home stadium. I can’t wait to hear the crowd sing tomorrow.

3 Likes

Excited to see this new look Sevilla under Lopetegui play their first home game. There is a feel of excitement and expectation this season. We have had a super transfer window and we appear to be making strides to becoming a serious and dangerous side again.

We generally do well at home against Celta. However, it’s a new season and new teams, so every game is different. We made a great start to the season with 2 great away wins at tricky grounds and opponents. If we play the way we have been, with a full strength squad available, I think we can keep our winning run going and stay top of table. Another win here, would be another marker laid down to the rest again. Vamos Sevilla!

3 Likes

Is the game being shown on tv anywhere does anyone know?

Movistar is carrying it on channel La Liga 1.
Good luck.

They really need to sort out the La Liga rights in the UK. It is getting stupid now.

I don’t know if they had a minutes silence tribute planned for Reyes, but the absolute tragedy of Luis Enrique’s 9 year-old daughter Xana is transcendent.

Ah, that explains why Luis Enrique was away from the NT. :slightly_frowning_face:

Really excited for this game, Hoping JL picks an attacking side that can get the crowd fired up early. On a side note, I’ve just found this forum a few days ago so I’m looking forward to chatting to fellow English speaking Sevilla fans throughout the season.

6 Likes

Welcome Josh. I stumbled upon here a little while ago, and it’s nice to be able to speak to English speaking Sevilla fans. :raised_hands: Who is your English team?

Regrettably I’m a Man United fan but I’d say Sevilla has taken over this past few years. What about yourself?

Welcome to the forum Josh! Enjoy!

1 Like

Pozo and Rony Lopes in the squad, Dabbur not.

Vaclík y Sergio Rico , en la portería; Carriço , Koundé , Diego Carlos , Escudero , Reguilón y Fernando , para la defensa; Jesús Navas , Pozo , Gudelj , Joan Jordán , Óliver Torres , Banega , Franco Vázquez , Ocampos , Rony Lopes y Bryan , en el centro del campo; y Nolito , Munir y De Jong , como delanteros.

Still trying to find out who we are against in the UEFA liga !
… Apoel , Qarabag and Dudelange (of Luxemburg)

1 Like

APOEL (Cyprus)
Qarabag (Azerbaijan)
Dudelange (Luxembourg)

1 Like

traveling to azerbaijan is too bad, but that seems quite a soft group. hopefully we can resolve it early and get some heavy team rotation in.

Welcome @Joshboyle14! We are super happy to have you here and look forward to many future discussions about Sevilla! How did you find out about the forum?

1 Like

Welcome Josh. Was it the Ben Yedder goal that made you think ‘Wow’?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Josh! Don’t worry, there are worse things than being a Man Utd fan, you could’ve been an Arsenal fan :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Enjoy!

2 Likes
1 Like

Interesting to know if Chelsea are worse than Gunners fans, I’ve seen them both at their worst, it’s a close call.

1 Like