M38: Sevilla FC vs Athletic Club [21/22]

Remarkable consistency from the big 3 to be fair including Atleti. I remember couple of seasons ago Atleti edging us on goal difference as well.

We did well to get close but shows us how difficult it is to break u the big 3 stranglehold. It must be about 9-10 straight seasons they been top 3.

4 Likes

They’re there because they’ve shown a fighting spirit and a will to win that Sevilla just haven’t for too many games this season.

3 Likes

exactly, something you breed and cultivate within a team with a certain mentality.

1 Like

Great to end on 70 points with a win. Nice way to finish. We end up as the arsenal of la liga though with our usual 4th haha :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

End good, all good. Season over, 4th. Goal acccomplished.

ready to prepare and see what will become our next directions as a club.

4 Likes

Season finally over. THANK GOD

7 Likes

Thank goodness indeed. What a drag, it was.

3 Likes

Indeed

1 Like

I think most of us predicted 4th in the end even though we were far clear of Barca and atleti at some point. Still great to see a 3rd straight season in top 4 and 3rd straight season with 70 points or more.

3 Likes

We finish on 70 points, at the halfway stage I could see 86 points possible but we fell away partly for injuries and partly for stagnation of the squad and the football.

In the second half of the game the fans gave an ovation and chant for Bono, then for Lopetegui although that was accompanied by whistles, and later a resounding chant for Monchi.

Papu was like a tiger in the challenges, he obviously feels good about this club.

6 Likes

Mixed thoughts from me. A nice win to finish the season. I thought we played okay tonight and created some good chances. Rode our luck at times but the win was deserved. Nice to finish the season with 70 points and a third successive Champions League qualification which is a great achievement.

The missed chances take me to my second point and the great finish from Rafa. YEN had three decent chances in this game and missed all three with just five goals all season. Rafa on the other hand once again took his chance when presented to him. It’s quite apparent to me that he should be first team striker over YEN.

That said, I do feel we need another striker in the summer. As much as Lope’s tactics are frustrating and the play behind the forwards doesn’t help them, Lope can’t be blamed for a striker continually being given chances and not taking them and that was YEN tonight and all season. We need a striker of Ben Yedder quality to come in over the summer if possible. That is the missing link for us I think to really challenge the big three. The midfield needs looking at also with the exception of Fernando. Going forward and midfield definitely the areas we need to look at for me.

Will be interesting to see what happens and who stays and who goes over the summer. Firstly let’s see if Lope stays on.

Vamos!

6 Likes

En-Nesyri looked like a man who knows he is out this summer as he walked off the pitch,

2 Likes