M35: Athletic vs. Sevilla [2019-20]

I agree with that! I feel the fact we on 63 points and we are currently joint 3rd and on a 12 unbeaten run that shows Lopetegui has improved the club.

I feel we have improved as an overall unit and we are more solid in defence too. When things get tough we don’t buckle as much as we have in past seasons under likes of machin, montella or berizzo. There is better team spirit and resilience in this squad. They fight for each other and that is one thing that Sevilla fans love. Plus I do like Lopetegui passion for the game. He’s intense and determined to win like sampaoli was.

I feel he’s fortunate to be working with a strong squad with a lot of depth that Monchi has provided. However, we have not got a top 20 goal striker like a Ben yedder, Kanoute, Fabiano so in that sense he’s done well to still get the results he has.

He had the Spanish squad playing great stuff and looked in great form before he left for Real Madrid. Of course at real it went awfully wrong but they never give him time and they didn’t really want him at start. Their board didn’t want him.

Whereas Monchi and Castro wanted Lopetegui and feel there is a great chance of a successful project. A lot of Sevilla fans may have been skeptical but if we reach our aims then he will win a lot more over. I feel the one thing he needs to work on is that bravery to kill teams off and let the handbrake off to allow players to express themselves more.

Overall though he’s done well though with the resources he’s been given. We have to remember we still don’t have the spending power or big appeal that a real Madrid or Barca have. Although there is hope that we might be trying to step up to next level and try to sign more top players that fit us to try move closer to them. It takes time though.

I think we need stability and keeping Lopetegui and hopefully most of these top players we can build on it. We need to sign about 3 great players in offseason if we can to really be ready to hit ground running next season. Things are looking good though. If we could finish 3rd and go far in Europa we’d gain a lot of money too. That will be great.

It’s all about building on our success. For example if we finish top 4 then it’s only the 2nd time in like 10 years we’d finish in top 4. If we got 3rd, that would be our best finish since 2008/2009 season. If we can get top 4 this season and then achieve it again next season then Lopetegui will have done something what hardly any managers have done. Even in our best years we still not managed 2 back to back successful finishes in top 3-4. That has to be aim and then aim for top 2 after. I think Lopetegui for now has earned that right to try do what simeone did at atletico. Of course if results turn or the football is dour/turgid then he could come under pressure but for now he’s doing well.

5 Likes