Leganes away – Copa del Rey – Semi Final 1st Leg

Originally published at: http://monchismen.com/leganes-away-copa-del-rey-semi-final-1st-leg/

Since 2006 Sevilla FC have participated in 5 Europa League (2006, 2007, 2014, 2015, 2016) and 6 Copa del Rey semi-finals (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2016). A total of eleven semi-finals in twelve years. Tonight makes that 12 out of 12… an incredible achievement for any club in World Football, I am sure no one can deny.

However, there will be no time for congratulatory slaps on backs just yet. We have on paper a tie that we should win, especially over 2 legs, but the worst thing we could do is take Leganes for granted. Not only did they manage to knock out Real Madrid in the Quarter Finals, but they also knocked out Villareal in the round before! Cup games over 2 legs are designed to stop these kind of upsets, but Leganes have passed this obstacle with flying colours and deservedly belong in the semi-finals.

Not to mention their impressive league form, which sees them sitting 11th in the table, only 5 points worse off than we are. They have only lost 2 league games at home all season, one of those to Barcelona! All in all, hardly evidence of the massive gap in quality that some would believe! Sure, they were the preferred opponents when compared to Barcelona or Valencia, but they will no doubt create some problems for us, and we will need to be at the same level or higher as we were against Atletico if we want another Final to look forward to in Feria week.

Our last Copa del Rey semi-final was in 2016, when we destroyed an in-form Celta Vigo 6-2 on aggregate. A 4-0 first leg victory all but ensuring our place in the final before Celta even had a chance to play us at their home. A repeat performance tonight would be welcome, yet unlikely.

One striking thing that stands out though is how much our playing squad and management team have changed so much since then, and despite it being as little as 24 months ago only Sergio Rico, Escudero, Banega (who since left and returned), Nzonzi, Carrico and David Soria remain. There is no escaping the fact that we have had, and continue to have, an insane amount of player turnover. Quite how we can still keep competing at such a high level despite all these changes is truly astounding.

Squad list for tonight:

Some stability in terms of personnel at the club would be very welcome, but for now the revolving door continues, and we traveled to Madrid with exciting new arrivals Guilherme Arana, Layun, and Roque Mesa all in the squad. Whether or not any of them will start is uncertain. Corchia is still missing with injury, so Layun is a potential like-for-like swap there, although Navas may well keep his place. Carrico and Pareja are also back as defensive options. We have 4 centre backs to choose from, Kjaer not being one of them. I wonder if our coaching team have seen enough to know he won’t be featuring again soon?

As for the starting XI, I suspect that Montella won’t tinker much, as he has found a winning (Getafe match aside) formula, and if he keeps the same XI as the last Copa match I’ll be happy with that.

Over the past 12 years many coaches and players have come and gone, but our reputation as a ‘Cup team’ amazingly remains intact, and tonight we could take one big step towards our dream of another chance to lift the Copa!

Score prediction 2-2

¡VAMOS MI SEVILLA!

2 Likes

I’m glad that Kjaer is not a starter. Hope that’s Montella’s decision and not because he’s not 100% fit or something.

Kjaer is a good CB in overall but he is too soft at times when marking opponent strikers and leaves too much space. I saw Zaza’s goal against us the other day and couldn’t help but think what would the likes of Lukaku do in that case. Even if it means causing a penalty, do not let the opponents shoot in the goal from a close range. Our CB’s should be very aggressive and stay very close to the opponents having in mind who is between our sticks, the teenager Rico.

1 Like

I expect some rotation this game. Maybe Arana’s debut? Possibly a start by Pareja?

1 Like

I don’t think anything substantial has been improved since Berizzo except one or two variations in play and renewed enthusiasm both of which can disappear at the drop of a hat.

The changes in personnel will do it though. Arana has been here a month without entering the squad but now we include him and two players who arrived in the last 48 hours.

We’re also much better on the counter, to our advantage, and solid in Nervion so really we just have to keep the lid on this game and 2-2 would be OK.

Is it just me, or is the sideways pass tendency of Nzonzi part of our problem of predictability?

Can’t wait to see how Roque Mesa fits with Nzonzi though today it’s not likely.

I’m not easy about big changes for a big game but I have to bear in mind that Sevilla won a supercopa against Madrid (3-5) with Archivaldo Mosquera and Federico Fazio playing their first games as the defensive duo. That was the dictionary definition of cojones.

Let’s hope for those cojones tonight.

1 Like

I doubt we see any of the new guys unless they are used as subs. Arana is the only one i think we will see and I truly hope that we do.

1 Like

Starting 11

Sergio Rico; Jesús Navas, Mercado, Lenglet, Escudero; Nzonzi, Banega; Sarabia, Franco Vázquez, Correa; and Muriel.

2 Likes

haha so much for rotation - wow

2 Likes

Layún and Roque Mesa on the bench, also Nico Pareja.

1 Like

if it’s not broken don’t fix it, seems to be Montella’s motto :smiley:

It was broken Sunday :slight_smile:

will anyone else be watching on a stream? and if so, any good ones to share?

For some reason, despite showing every La Liga game, Sky Sports in the UK don’t show Copa del Rey (apart from the final)

for 90 minutes it was fine… the added time however… :frowning:

Bright start marred by Banega the error machine giving Lega their first attack.

is that park artificial grass? hard to tell on my stream

Must be a bad stream, no it’s cutting up quite badly.

I’m watching on Sling tv here in the US

1 Like

thanks! I didn’t think artificial grass would be allowed in the top level

DC meet up not happen then?

Nope - everyone is out of town or like me stuck at work. Maybe next week.

1 Like

GOOOLLLLL SEVILLLLLLA

Muriel is Bacca Mk.II

1 Like