La Liga Smartbank ascenso/promotion day

Alaves promoted back to La Liga, beating Levante 1-0.

2 Likes

First Leg scores in the Primera RFEF Promotion Play Offs…

Castellon 0-0 Alcorcon

Real Madrid Castilla 1-1 Eldense

2 Likes

Second leg scores…

Alcorcon 2-1 Castellon (2-1) - Alcorcon promoted

Eldense 3-3 Real Madrid Castilla (4-4) - Eldense promoted as they finished higher in their division.

1 Like

Eldense from Elda near Valencia a town of 55,000 people and a ground of just over 4,000. I will watch them with intrigue next season.

1 Like

I must say though, if anyone ever moans a club takes the piss out of their fans with regards to kits, I think Eldense might take the biscuit on this… :astonished::face_with_spiral_eyes:

Home Kit:

Away Kit:

Third Kit:

Fourth Kit:

Not gonna lie. I really like the third kit.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the time Necaxa (Mexican Team) had these as their Home and Away kits.

1 Like

Interesting, albeit unrelated to Liga Primera RFEF, there’s a popular saying in Latin American Spanish which comes from the TV show El Chavo del Ocho, where one of the characters anytime his “manliness” or straightness was questioned would respond “Yo le voy al Necaxa”/“I’m a fan of Necaxa” as a way of affirming his manliness/straightness. There’s a whole big story behind it, but most people didn’t know the story, they just understood the subtext of the phrase.

More than a bit homophobic in retrospect, but the phrase still hangs around as the prime cultural association with Necaxa, at least outside Mexico, where I assume there are lots of other, newer cultural associations with the Rayos (Stripes or Lightning Bolts) of Necaxa.

Don RamĂłn, for reference:

don ramon GIF by Grupo Chespirito

1 Like

I dunno, given our experience with Nike, I’m going to say that the ones whose piss is being taken (hope I conjugated that Britishism correctly) are Eldense. And the ones taking the piss are Nike. Nike is always so lazy with its designs when it comes to non-giant clubs. I would bet money that internally they have two or three different tiers for their design teams wherein lower teams both get less investment in their design and more of a “take it or leave it” contract in terms of veto power.

1 Like

Lower teams get basically “Sunday League kits” which annoyed me as Sevilla basically got that collection with them.