La Liga Sells Soul to Fund Real and Barca

Am I reading this any other way other than taking on a partner to save Barcelona and Real? This basically just gets around their TV distribution by using this influx of cash. How can the other teams of the league be ok with this?

4 Likes

Yea, just another way to give them more money. Messi out here still a free agent 2 weeks from the season starting ain’t a good look.

On the other hand, Sevilla was granted 135m euros. As long it gets closer to the PL’s model of distribution, but I’m sure we’re a long way from that.

2 Likes

That 135 million will be huge to help fund the training facilities. I’m sure that takes care of a bunch of that debt if they use it for that.

Wasn’t there a rumor of third tier plus roof for the RSP? I wonder if that could be used to advance that?

6 Likes

My initial reaction to this was a heavy sigh, but for alot of clubs in LaLiga the positives outweighs the negatives this time. Yet again the two big ones are being saved by some shady maneuvre, but as long as all the other clubs get a bite too they will accept it and I kinda understand. Those funds are definitely a life-saver for most of the clubs. And if it means Messi will stay and RM will keep paying astronomical wages, so be it. My guess is they would have found a way to get some money anyhow…

4 Likes

And I don’t give two cents for that ‘La Liga will die if Barca and Real doesn’t keep their current status on the world stage’. F*** off. La Liga will keep existing but not in it’s current form. All the money lost will mean huge sales of players and La Liga-teams will probably struggle internationally, but other clubs will rise and new great players will emerge. It’s not like the spaniards will stop playing football if there is no Barca and RM…

3 Likes

Looks like Real Madrid is possibly suing over the deal. Do they want more of the share?

2 Likes

I read the injected money for the clubs is a loan, to be payed back in 40 years with an ‘reletively low interest rate’. In the same 40 years the clubs will earn 10% less because that goed to that firm.

Positives:

• Fast money to cover covid-debt

Negatives

• You have to pay it back, so you’re still in debt
  • You’ll earn 10% less for almost half a decade
  • The clubs collectively will be worse of at the end of the day
  • RM and Barca’s mismanagement is still not treated, that bubble is gonna pop someday and you’re only making it bigger like this if you expect them to use that money towards new signings.
2 Likes

Might’ve spoken too soon. Barca and RM apparently not happy with the agreement.

Gotta admit I haven’t really looked into it, but it seems the deal wasn’t a complete Barca/RM-injection. And Messi gone as well it seems, so no help to be found anywhere. Yet…

4 Likes

Wow so big news out about this now. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and a Segunda club voted against the CVC deal. Everyone else voted for it. The deal will go through and the four that voted against it will not share in the revenue. That’s around 600 million Euros that will now get distributed among those that did vote for it.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Some people are saying it’s not strictly legal. I’m of the same opinion. It could possibly fall foul of EU competition laws and I can’t see uefa being happy that one league is branching out in this fashion. I would recommend a bit more legal advice before jumping into this.

1 Like

La Liga is a sole entity though right? Meaning, it should be able to take on investors which is basically what this is. I mean it might violate some sort of Spain law, but it’s hard to imagine UEFA would have much say.

With that said, I am a dummy and don’t know very much details on the matter other than what I read on Twitter.

1 Like

What’s doing me is paranoia, I remember the OnDigital fail in the English second league. Different because it was TV rights but basically the same insomuch as they were promised mountains of money and so the clubs spent it beforehand on players and contracts that they couldn’t pay when the deal went bad. 14 clubs went bankrupt if my memory works.

1 Like

Let’s hope this is more structured (seems like it) so that doesn’t happen.

1 Like