La Liga 24/25 Matchday 18 - Sevilla FC at Real Madrid

Mate, I appreciate your optimism - but there’s often a thin line between that, and delusion.

You have made yourself clear when you supported Lopetegui, blindly, for all that time - even when it was extremely obvious that things were going terribly wrong with him as a coach.

I’m sorry but I won’t jump in the blindly optimistic bandwagon and say that we are ok… it could be worse etc. With that said, things are not catastrophically bad, but I strongly believe this is just the tip of the iceberg.

You have:

  1. A lot of average and below average players

  2. An incompetent, and to a large extent, a harmful management.

  3. No vision for the future

The only positive in Sevilla FC are the fans, in overall. However, fans don’t play. They react and raise their voice when things go wrong, and cheer on when things go bad.

If all the fans were ok and blindly supported a club when things were wrong, you wouldn’t have the likes of Atletico Madrid today.

I would be ok if the ‘bad’ things were sporadic one-offs, but if you’d analyze this from a management perspective, there are fundamental issues going on with the club.

I do not expect from this incompetent management to fix them. So I’m really glad that you are optimistic… but just like before, be careful from the delusion. It’s never good.

Also, it is not about the defeat. It is about the way you are defeated.

This defeat was embarrassing in every level.

2 Likes

I apologize if it sounded like I was calling you out. A couple of your words may have sparked a desire to respond in me, but I’ve seen several people say some pretty out there things about players.

I totally get the frustration. I’m frustrated as well, I love the passion people like you and others bring, it’s awesome. I hope you keep it up @ShendM.

I really was only trying to remind people to not get too carried away to the point of attacking players. I do apologize though that it came across as calling you specifically out or attacking you.

2 Likes

We have to keep our emotions in check during matches against a team like Madrid. It’s always tough, and they are very good. We need defensive replacements ASAP—like the last three years.

Gudelj is realistically our only option at Captian. Who else?

3 Likes

I’m looking at last season where we drew 1-1 at home to Real Madrid in Diego Alonso’s first game in control, he put Gudelj and Sergio Ramos in the central defenders roles. Badé came on for Gudelj on 77 minutes, and Madrid equalized a minute later. Also, we’ve had some good results with Gudelj in there, both recent UEFA’s I think.

But I still think despite his competence as a utility player he is just not for that role.

3 Likes

I guess it was just Gudelj’s turn to be the scapegoat. Personally, i didn’t mean to single him out like that. But this season, even in midfield, he’s too loose in his positioning and gets caught out whenever we lose possession.

Frankly, Bade doesn’t have a reliable partner in defense. And even he is culpable of dropping his focus in games. We haven’t had a consistent midfield all season, so finding cohesion won’t happen anytime soon.

But there’s a few bright spots: Lukebakio hasn’t burnt out yet, and Isaac is finally stepping up with goals. It’s good that Idumbo’s returned so that we’re not forced with a makeshift frontline.

Sanchez Flores made his best attempt to steady the ship when we switched to a back-5. We sometimes play in that shape in-game, but with Navas gone, we lose some of that flexibility. I’m still not a fan of Juanlu in midfield, but he still finds ways to contribute, and i will always love that in a player.

It’s good to have a bit of a break for the squad to rest, and hopefully have more guys regain their fitness. It’s been tough, but there’s hope that it can get better.

3 Likes

Navas :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

I watched the game and was very disappointed in our lack of defensive pressure. There are so many games were we are lacking any defensive tenacity. We scored 2 great goals, just a real shame we are so easy to play against…

2 Likes

So true, his job was to avoid relegation and put the brakes on a squad with more ambition than ability. It’s cruel but it’s the only way.

1 Like