Jesus Navas contract extension?

Extend his contract?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

This obviously also depends on Navas himself and whether he is ready to continue with the team, most likely as a sub option from the next season.

I’d say we should try to extend in a 1+1 format, with Navas having the +1 option/choice.

But even if we don’t, it won’t be a huge loss at the level that he’s at performance-wise. His golden years are clearly over, but I think he still has some gas left in him for a final push.

3 Likes

For me we only extend if we stay up, and for a year. If we went down I wouldn’t want him blocking Juanlu and Dario getting game time.

That’s a stark difference to what I was saying weeks ago to be fair, but things change, we’ve seen two top level pros jettisoned recently, now is about the future, we can’t hold on to “has beens” forever and block the path of young up and coming guys.

4 Likes

I vote yes, but with lower salary. And I think he’s just the type of player you’d want to keep if you drop, but again, with lower salary. I’d sign him today if he were willing, with a clause reducing his salary if we drop and keeping it flat if we stay up. Increases the stakes for the player to fight for primera and helps steady the ship if we drop.

3 Likes

This is what I’m wrestling with…

I see the pros and cons from both sides really.

Stay if we went down, we need experienced pros to guide us back up, in what would likely be a pretty young team.

But then as I posted above, we then block potential game time for guys who need to be playing regularly at RB. I guess the argument is keep him on, but as a squad backup.

2 Likes

I’m with @ShendM 1+ until he is ready to call it quits.

3 Likes

I voted no on this one. I have all the respect in the world for the guy, the fact that he has a facility named after him while not only being alive, but being on the team still is a feat in and of itself. This season, I think everyone in this forum has at least one time said “This team is too old.” Unfortunately, Navas is the oldest of them all. I personally feel like he performs quite well for the team, but he has battled injuries throughout his career and that is only getting harder for him to avoid. I think for his body, personal life, and the fact that his spot could be filled by someone else younger we should not renew his contract. I think that Navas feels immortal to a lot of us because how long he has been around and how closely tied he is to Sevilla for most if not all of us. Making that spot available to a young player that we can invest in seems like the more logical thing to do in my opinion. Again, I love Navas and his commitment to the club and what he has been able to accomplish, but everyone has to hang up the boots at some point, and that day will be very sad

2 Likes

jesus navas is incredible but i feel like we have enough to let him settle off. hes 38 now, and taking up that starting spot over an up and coming juanlu would be kind of staggering for his development. juanlu put in a shift in our win last night too so im sure he can be a good starter. i do expect navas to return as maybe an assistant coach or a part of the staff, but his tenure as a player in my opinion should come to a close soon

2 Likes

I voted no…I love Navas, but it is time for him to step aside for the younger players. I would love to see him come onto the staff so he can learn the coaching side of things and move in that direction.

3 Likes

I think that as long as Navas wants to keep playing as long as he can accept a lower salary and less game time, he should be able to be given a contract as long as he likes.

3 Likes

I hate to say it, but Rakitic and Navas should’ve both retired after our EUL win. Would’ve been a beautiful ending for both of them. What happened now was somewhat foreseeable but even worse.

5 Likes

I’ve actually had a bit of time to think about this and changed my mind. I think we should not extend his contract.

The guy is an absolute Sevilla legend and always will be. He has been a sensational player for us over the years and will go down as one of the greatest to wear the shirt if not the greatest.

However, all that said, there does come a time when we have to move on. If we’re being honest, he can still do a job but he’s understandably not the player he once was.

In Juanlu we have an exceptionally talented full back who I think can go onto do great things and is ready for the full back spot and to thrive in it. As a club we have to be bringing through more young players and Juanlu and Isaac are absolutely top of that list of the new generation. If anything has come from our recent adversity, it’s the unearthing of these two absolute gems.

5 Likes