Frying Pan of Spain by Colin Millar

Has anyone read this book about El Gran Derbi and if so would they recommend it?

3 Likes

Yes! I would absolutely recommend it. Really goes in depth about the history of both teams and what makes El Gran Derbi so special.

2 Likes

I have it, but I havenā€™t read it yet. I started it when it came out, but got distracted and keep forgetting to make time.

1 Like

I may download the ebook version.

1 Like

Iā€™ll post some photos of the paperback tonight when I get home. If I recall there are some really nice photos inside.

I tried to google it, but canā€™t find any inside photos. Anyway, I did find this review:
ā€œI had been looking forward to this book. Unfortunately it turned out to be another leftist piece of crap. I decided to throw the book in the garbage bin after the first six chapters. It really sucks that leftist writers canā€™t write about ANY subject without trying to indoctrinate the reader with their communist ideas.
So the Soviet Union was OK, and General Franco was not? Well guess what Mr. Writer, you wouldnā€™t even have been able to go and live - and donā€™t even think about writing a book - in Seville, had it not been for General Franco. Because without him Spain would have been a communist country Ć  la Romania : a third world country and Seville would have been in ruins.
My advice: Go to Cuba, North Corea, Venezuela or Red-China and write about football in one of these ā€œparadiseā€ countries. My guess is that you would end up in jail before you could even talk to a publisher.ā€

WTF?

1 Like

I would discount that review to be honest. Iā€™ve heard a few interviews with the author who seems well informed on all things football in Seville. He does however appear to be a Beticoā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve read and enjoyed The frying pan of Spain. I wouldnā€™t base too much on that review

I would also recommend another couple of books on my shelf.
ā€œLife in La Ligaā€ by R. MacWilliam
ā€œMorboā€ the story of Spanish football by Phil Ball.
Both give a more wider view on the history of Spanish football in more detail with chapters on Sevilla & :poop:

Ps
Iā€™m not getting into a discussion about Franco butā€¦
I have Visited both Cuba (twice) & Venezuela (4 times) and never ended up in jail once. :rofl:

2 Likes

Me too, I went to Venezuela in 1984 and Cuba 2007 and 2015.
These arenā€™t normal holiday destinations for a Brit, how come?

1 Like

We just got tired of visiting the ā€œnormalā€ holiday spots and started choosing our trips based more on places featured in National Geo magazine rather than the holiday brochures. :star_struck:
Booked flights to Caracas and took it from there armed with only a guide book.

Ended up spending 6 weeks on one trip exploring the Amazonas, sleeping in hammocks deep in the rain forest with a couple of local guides who had a boat,

Cuba was just a couple of package deals.

3 Likes

Wow!!! :flushed:

Canā€™t work out if the guy who wrote this had any idea what Franco actually stood for, or if he is just a neo nazi nut job.

2 Likes

Two guys from Sheffield that ended up Sevillistas in Spain, might not be such a coincidence when you see all the Southerners and Londoners that end up in Malaga, they just donā€™t have class. :rofl:

3 Likes

Franco was bad but did more for Spain than anyone else in the last 500 years. It takes some understanding to square that circle.

2 Likes

I just thought the review was so out of this world. Iā€™m sure Colin touched on the Franco years and how it impacted Sevilla and the derbi and he should have. Just nuts.

1 Like

Colin is great. Iā€™ve tried to get him on the podcast once, but our schedule just couldnā€™t line up. Iā€™ll try again.

1 Like

I canā€™t recommend this book enough. Really well written. Very informative. Definitely an essential read for any Sevillista or BĆ©tico for that matter.

2 Likes

I downloaded the ebook version. A few chapters in. So far so good.

3 Likes

Yes but to go off completely against Communists like that seems mental. :rofl:

He was a General, his job description had ā€˜Bomb thingsā€™ and ā€˜Shoot peopleā€™ in it. When a guy has a hammer everything looks like a nail. If the Communists hadnā€™t started burning Churches the military wouldnā€™t have budged. The military were/are fiercely Catholic, it was a colossal error by the Anarquistas and Communistas.

1 Like

Finished the book this morning. A good read in my humble opinion. It makes you realise just how big and important the city of Seville and its two clubs are and have been in the overall context of Spanish football.

4 Likes