Former Sevilla FC Players

I thought I would create a new thread after the Tristan conversation on the La Liga season thread.

Here is a pic of another legend from our town La Algaba. José Rodríguez Domínguez (Rodri) played for Sevilla from 1964-74. He was the starting goalkeeper for the bulk of those seasons. The Peña Sevillista here in our town is named after him and he is frequently there hanging out the the old man contingent. Super friendly guy who waved at us whenever he sees us out in town.

6 Likes

Wish my hair looked that good at 43, let alone 77 year old!

Stats on that guy -
74 Caps for Sevilla, 6,512 minutes - 21 Clean Sheets - 110 goals conceded.

5 Likes

Great idea for the thread. We occasionally get random posts from former players popping up in the headlines or elsewhere. Eg. Any recent headlines on Quincy Promes? :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s a whole case on itself. Of what got to me, he threatened his cousin and in a leaked audio clip wanted to stab the guy in a different place than the knee where it ended up. He nationalised to become russian as well, to escape further persecution I think.

1 Like

Taking this from another thread. Who is your favorite Sevilla player that wouldn’t be in anyone’s starting XI all time?

Hmmm… Tough one to define, but just without putting much thought to it… Renato, Maresca, Dragutinovic, Krychowiak, Chevanton (sometimes), Diego Capel, Franco Vásquez.

Not sure if those are deep enough “deep cuts” for you.

Going for more random favorites for stupid reasons that had nothing to do with football greatness: Kiyotake, Teemu Pukki, Makukula, Duda, Poulsen, Ganso.

2 Likes

Poulsen, definitely. He’s the reason I started following Sevilla. And for that reason I would put him in an all-time starting eleven, but I think most other sevillistas will just edge him out.

2 Likes

My choice would be Dario Silva. Complete with his theatrical rolling about everytime he went down.
I actually met him once at a hotel in Sevilla pre one of our european games and he is a genuine nice guy.He told me that he was there to promote a charity he was involved in to help disabled kids to enjoy different sports.

2 Likes

I would love to meet Andres Palop and talk over his time at Sevilla and Bayer Leverkusen, and exchange goalkeeping stories. I actually got a few likes off of the man himself when I used to have Twitter.

2 Likes

Poor guy lost half his leg in a car crash didn’t he?

1 Like

Yes he did in an accident in Montevideo but you would never know if you saw him.
He has even played in a few fundraising games for the charity.

2 Likes