FIFA Summer Tournaments Thread

Feel free to discuss any tournament happening this summer, whether it be Copa America, Gold Cup, AFCON, or the Women’s World Cup.

But i really wanted to start this thread by telling y’all that our boy Quincy just put the Netherlands thru to the UEFA Nations League Final!

1 Like

Quincy’s speed was crucial in Holland’s win. We need that speed as well, so keeping Quincy would be a wise thing to do. Lopetegui could use him well in a potential 4-3-3 I suppose (but even in a 4-2-3-1).

2 Likes

I hope he gets the start in the finals. I like that Netherlands team. Lots of young quality.

2 Likes

Navas scores in the qualifier today!

1 Like

Carlos Fernández, on loan at Depor, scored a brace in their 4-2 win vs Málaga in the 1st leg of the Segunda playoff SF. 2nd leg to be played on Saturday.

Don’t know where my interest lies there… do i go for Depor cause he’s there, or do i go for Málaga to have more Andalusian teams in La Liga next season? :woozy_face:

Just realized that Banega didn’t make the Argentina squad for the Copa. He was probably their most important player in the World Cup in my opinion. I was surprised to see him not included.

U-21 UEFA finals up now. Germany vs. Spain. Nothing of note related to Sevilla, but should be a good rematch from 2 years ago.

1 Like

Spain won it this time after losing in the final vs. Germany as well the year before.

1 Like

Big one in Copa America tonight with Brazil vs. Argentina. Any thoughts on that one?

1 Like

I want Argentina to win this Copa America (or the next year’s edition) only because of Messi. He deserves a title with the national team, though his teammates there are almost always crap.

1 Like

I’ve gotten tired of laughing at the Argentina squad… they really have no noteworthy defenders, except maybe Tagliafico. But funny enough, it’s been the supporting cast aiding Messi throughout this tournament. I would like to see Lionel lift a major trophy for his country though.

Tough task beating Brazil at home though. But anything can happen in a derby…

2 Likes

Can’t believe the 2018-19 season hasn’t ended for some players. Bryan Gil starts at LW for the Spain U19s in the Euro final vs Portugal. Match set to start in just over 1h. This match can be seen on YouTube or UEFA TV.

Vamos Bryan!!

1 Like

Also on ESPN News here in the US. Gil is nice! The Spanish backend is putting the keeper in some bad positions.

Bryan Gil goes off in the 80th min (and i typically switch it off when he’s subbed.) He was involved in both goals (great finishes by Ferrán Torres), and has been superb all tournament. Can’t wait to have him back.

1 Like

I heard that Lopetegui wants him in the first team squad permanently this season, and obviously due to his age he doesn’t need to be named in the 25 man first team squad so we can still have 25 + Gil.

Wish he would sort that 1990s Oasis hairstyle out though. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Crazy, i had no idea who this young man was at the start of the last campaign. One of very few positives to a disappointing Sevilla season. Broke into the senior team, and earned every single minute that was given to him. Earned himself a spot in the Spain U19 team, started every game, and was a standout player. Hope this is just the beginning.

Word :joy:

2 Likes

Can’t wait for Real Madrid / Barcelona trying to steal him for €10m next Summer no doubt. :roll_eyes:

I said last season that this kid is going to be something very special. I reckon we will get another 3 or 4 years out of him before Barca need to replace Messi.

2 Likes

This kid is going to be great! Hopefully we can avoid the “Navas”, “Reyes” situation and keep him forever.

1 Like