Europa League Mini Tournament 2020

There was at least 4 players in that Juventus team I’ve never even heard of and I’m quite up on Italian football. Juve have had nothing to play for, for about two weeks, I wouldn’t read too much into that result.

2 Likes

Vaclik returned to normal training as expected as the MCl isn’t as serious as ACL, but he’s most likely not ready at least for the match vs. Roma.

I would go with Bono all the way in this mini-tournament and not risk any long term injury for Vaclik, unless he’ll be needed as a sub in case Bono gets injured or suspended (hopefully not).

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see how Lope goes with this, as I think it is pretty clear Vaclik is the current number one, however Bono came in kept a few clean sheets and generally played pretty well the last few League games.

2 Likes

An important part of their defence. This means they go with Fazio. :yum: But then yet, he’ll only have to worry about De Jong… :unamused:

Same. He’s deserved it for the games he played in the final stretch. Wouldn’t want to rush Vaclík, as we’ve seen what happened last year when we did… :pensive:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take that result to seriously. Juve were resting players for the champions league.

1 Like

A classic case of form versus rest. Roma have been unbeaten in 8 and won against Torino and drew Inter along with a win over a weak Juventus side. Taking a look at their last serious game into account Paulo Fonseca goes with a 3-4-2-1 with the evergreen Dzeko supported Mkhitaryan and Perotti or Pastore supporting him, they also have the likes of Under, Zaniolo, Perez and a pretty much forgotten Kluivert on the bench.

I would say it’s an interesting matchup but Roma have the psychological edge being on a roll and also having their match sharpness intact. Sevilla’s last game was 2 weeks ago and the unfortunate case of Covid led to team undertaking individual training instead of group sessions.The only plus is the team would be well rested for the hectic run-in where only 4-6 days separate each stage of the competition. Smalling’s absence would also be beneficial but he can’t represent Man U anyway.

If we’re not only focusing on Sevilla there are a few dangerous teams still in the tournament. Wolves, Man Utd, Inter and Bayer are very dangerous. The only plus is that Man Utd and Inter are already in the Champions league places, the reported breakdown between Conte and Inter may also undermine their efforts.

3 Likes

I’ve had a feeling for a few weeks now, way before yesterday’s outburst that Conte was going to do something.

Even though I have wanted him to succeed at Inter, from the very beginning it has always has a very strong feeling of, he’s really a Juve man, with Juve at heart and begrudgingly he is taking tbe Inter job as it was the best job available to him at the time.

I don´t like playing against Italian teams much honestly. The 3 back systems, their wingbacks causing trouble. Something in Spain we hardly play against. I remember against Juve in the CL, we had no chance. Our team had good players but completely unable to play well those games. Against Lazio we got the victories and it looked better, yet also there I wasn´t so confident. We did have Ben Yedder and Sarabia tho. And you can say something about the Gap between those team.

Roma have a core of super experienced attackers lead by Dzeko, who contributed 19 goals and 8 assists this season. Those are the type of stats you want for a Striker (we can only look envious to that). Controlling Diego Perotti, Mkhitharian and Zaniolo and not giving them too much room to work with to feed their target man will be a focus point. They will be missing Lorenzo Pellegrini who underwent surgery so thats a positive.

Very curious how our showing will be, been looking forward to it greatly.

2 Likes

We have a decent record vs. Italian teams, however, the sourest loss was the one vs. Sampdoria that knocked us out of EL groups, can’t remember which year exactly but will look it up.

We’ve also destroyed Fiorentina (even more convincing than vs. Lazio), so I would expect us beating Roma. However, the one-leg tie, neutral stadion, no fans, having not played for 3 weeks (while Roma played regularly) are all factors that can contribute to the game.

We finished fourth and our business was done, the objective was met. We will play in CL group stage in 2.5 months, so this is just an added bonus. I’m pretty sure we would have beaten Roma in 2 legs without the bloody pandemic stop in March, but we can beat them now as well.

I will get excited and have strong emotions because of the EL, but I’ll try to consider it as a pre-season competitive friendly (Audi Cup or similar :stuck_out_tongue:) because of everything that happened so far.

3 Likes

How do you guys expect us to start? I think a tranquil start would be good, still aim for possession. But focus on some calm passing. If they pressure us out of it, we will take advantage of it later if we get through the first part. I don’t know Roma her playstyle to good, but they don’t seem to be a team that can rely on defense, their best defense is attack for sure. I think this suits us well. And since its a best of one, them going all out from the start I would say is unlikely. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Fonseca has adapted this Roma to play in different ways, so I’m thinking it’ll be a cagey match. That 3-4-2-1 he plays can switch to a 4-2-3-1 with Kolarov able to run down that left side occasionally. Veretout is the type of CM that covers the whole pitch and will be a good matchup for our midfield. I’m a big fan of Pellegrini, so it’s a plus for us that he’ll be missing.

My eyes will be locked on that Diego Carlos vs Dzeko matchup. I respect the hell out of Edin’s game, but we have a Hulk! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Looking forward to this. We can just have a a free swing at this competition now that we achieved our main objective. Roma are playing decent and will be tricky. However, we been in a rich vein of form and if we maintain it I’m confident we will beat Roma. We have a strong squad and would be nice to have another deep run in our favourite competition.

I agree that we should not make new signings or sell players until europa is over. This will help keep the team focused on the competition ahead. It’s been a weird season with the way it’s panned out and with everything going on with coronavirus, etc. After europa it won’t be long before the new season is back. It’s all coming quick now but I have faith in the squad.

Vamos Sevilla!

3 Likes

Roma not having Smalling will be a huge loss. Anyone who watched Man Utd over the years would laugh at that statement. But for Roma he has been top quality. So good in fact that even Inter and Juventus want him now :man_shrugging:

Without smalling keeping that defence together, if we play speed up front. We will be slight favourites in my eyes. One tough game to call mind.

I know they probably won’t. But I don’t know if its because I really want them too, or have a weird gut feeling they could cause an upset after being quite poor recently. But getafe might actually beat inter :thinking:

1 Like

Fixed. :smile:

1 Like

Would take Smalling at Inter over Godin to be fair. At least Smalling is a bit more mobile.

The best of ones are dangerous but I’ll go with a 3-0 for Inter. Their team man, Getafe Will be outclassed everywhere.

1 Like

Lukaku and Lautaro with Barella behind. :raised_hands:t3:

I tuned in a bit to watch Ifran Can Kahveci and the turkish champion, Kopenhagen punished them quite hard. Nothing special to be said. Also Shakthar shows how to score goals in the latest few minutes lol, confirming their next round placement.

2 Likes

Başakşehir got so carried away after winning the league that they have not prepared enough for such an important match. They were clueless on the pitch.
What is worst is that our Turkish teams have failed to collect enough points throughout this season in all Europe, which will probably cost us the right to participate in CL directly. Turkish League champions will most probably play in the last qualification round in order the gain entry at CL arena starting 2021-2022.

1 Like

Molina… what a shame. One of the worst penalty shots I’ve ever seen. Getafe deserved the extra time at least.

2 Likes