Contract extension for Gudelj?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Maybe a 2+1 extension or similar.

1 Like

Yes, very respectable and valuable workforce and good enough for multiple roles as substitute. We do need to aim higher. But as a part of a 25 man squad and rotate when necessary I think heā€™s enough. Especially now weā€™re not in a luxurious situation and finding other options isnā€™t that easy.
Furthermore, heā€™s good influence in the press, we mocked him for being Lopeā€™s son in law, or even his secret lover (who knows). But the work he has done for the team, always available when needed and never a bad word from his side. Exemplary team player. He accepted a salary decrease last summer iirc, and well thatā€™s a sign, both of us overpaying, but also of him still being grateful for being here which is great. Is it expected that the extension, and after a world-class goal come with a salary raise again? Bit contradictory, but football changes quickly so, 2+1 sounds fine for me.

4 Likes

I would say YES! Heā€™s everything you want for a role player. Can play multiple positions, plays hard, and seems like a great locker-room guy.
With Fernandoā€™s constant injuries of late, I think it he is valuable at the right price. I wouldnā€™t want to overspend on him and I wouldnā€™t want his resigning to stand in our way of searching for a younger CDM with high potential.
When Sampaoli was here the first time we were stacked there with Nonzi, Iborra, and Kranevitter (I know I know).

5 Likes

I said no, just because of his high salary. A role player cannot be among the highest paid players in the club. If he take a big pay cut, then I also think that his contract should be extended.

5 Likes

I would keep him. Heā€™s a real team player and has done a good job when called upon in a difficult situation this year.

He offers versatility and passion and plays for the shirt. Think weā€™ll all remember that strike against Mallorca!

No his name isnā€™t ā€˜stellarā€™ and he probably would have struggled to get in past Sevilla teams, but on the basis of everything Iā€™ve said it would be harsh to not extend his contract.

4 Likes

Good discussion. My vote is also a clear yes. Plays hard even when lacking in top end quality. But fills in in many positions and a solid rotation player, especially for a team without unlimitted funding.

@JakobJarc why are you concerned about his salary? this cite says heā€™s making 2.6M euros per yearā€¦ 16th highest on the team. that seems reasonable, no? meanwhile Rakitic, our adopted son, is making 13.2M, nearly twice as much as the second highest paidā€¦ thatā€™s not sustainable and while I lovel Ivan, heā€™s definitely not performing at that level.

3 Likes

I saw that before as well, there are multiple sources but I believe that Rakitic is more around 7.5m which is still massive. If 13m is true, Itā€™s just absurd. You really question our management, with knowing how weā€™ve been lately, fearfully it might be true.

4 Likes

I looked on different site and it said that he has salary around 4,5m and he is fourth most paid player on the team, only behind Rakitic, Papu and Suso. 2,6m a year is more reasonable for him.

interestingā€¦ i have no idea which sites are more/less credible for this type of inquiry. but yeah, 4.5 would be WAY more reasonable.

This was exactly my question hereā€¦do I like Gudelj as a slot-in player, absolutely. Should he make as much money as Nianzou, Marcao, or Fernando? Certainly not. So yeah, I tend to just trust Monchi and company to balance all those factors when deciding whether to renegotiate a contract.

5 Likes

Leaning towards yes but really depends on how much we pay him. I did read he was one of the highest earners but have no reliable source on this.

He is a reliable backup who was only thrust into starting this season due to injuries and has performed decently. Still we shouldnā€™t get over ourselves, heā€™s a rotation piece who can hold the line and gives experience and even had the armband for a bit. As heā€™ll be 31 in November a 1+1 or 2+1 would look nice.

:sobs:, then remembers Krycho and sobs harder

Monchi also gave Gud his first handsome contract, better to be more controlled this time.

1 Like

Soā€¦

2 Likes

There definitely needs to be a discussion. Heā€™s never been a flashy player, but he consistently does everything thatā€™s asked of him. He filled in wonderfully for our back line last year when we were ravaged with injuries, and it seems like heā€™s stepped into a leadership role on this team this year. I really like watching him play.

4 Likes

He play with the heart, he play for Sevilla, yes of course

4 Likes

It seems that we might just give him that extension. I voted ā€œNoā€ cause i donā€™t see him as a successor to Fernando. If itā€™s to keep him as a backup CB, then iā€™d be fine with it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s obvious that heā€™s established himself as a leader on this team. Iā€™m happy with this resigning.

3 Likes

Amazing turn around by the lad. Really stepped up in a tough situation for the team this season.

3 Likes

is it done? or just picking up on an old thread? agree, im very pleased with him in general.

"I am very happy here, everyone knows it . The club is also happy with me, but right now I think we are in a situation in which Sevilla FC is more important than the renewal of Gudelj. But Iā€™m sure it will go very well and I think we will reach an agreement soon, I hope so" , said Gudelj,

Not done yet.

2 Likes