Champions League 23/24 - Sevilla FC at PSV

1 Like

Just like last year against PSV I asked Johnny for a recap and the psv side of the upcoming match but unfortunately he couldn’t get to it this time, so I’ll give it a try.

Clearly they have been picking up steam real good lately.

They got a new coach, so I’ll start there, very Dutch coach. Peter Bosz. Always looking dominate, which over the years at Dortmund, Lyon and Leverkusen got him criticism from that same side when he gets punished hard. Same way PSV lost to Arsenal 4-0. Generally you could say no shame in that but people blame him for not adapting tactically when you know your severely outclassed and you need to change to destruction football and try to consolidate or steal a win. He is none of that, and I respect that. But that makes them a very risky opponent.

Out of last 30 competitive matches PSV only lost that one vs Arsenal which is impressive.

Last summer they seemed to be able to hold onto their absolute starplayer, Xavi Simons, but last minute they bowed down and going from PSG to RB Leipzig where he is becoming an even bigger superstar shows what they are missing. However to applaude PSV it hasn’t bothered them as much, and Noa Lang is taking the Eindhoven offense by the hand now and above most expectations has done phenomenal. Luuk broke the 21st century league topscorer title last week with over 155 goals if I remember correctly. And has found a very good form himself, with plenty of trademark headers that we won’t forget soon.

Jerdy Schouten who I saw moments of seemed like a good transfer as well, fitted in like a glove and played some really good versatile defensive roles for the team still with good footballing skills.

I think that is what they can be praised for most, will and skill to play. Not sure who they will start, but Boscagli plays some good football too. Maybe they lost some physical presence and power with Sangaré going to Nottingham but they have enough threats to create other problems.

I am expecting an open game, and who punishes who remains to be seen but we gotta believe we take it.

Vamoos mi Sevilla!

3 Likes

As a Bayer Leverkusen fan too all I can say for “Boszball” it is very much all or nothing. Either you go out and smash someone 4-0, or you are just as likely to lose 0-4.

It was really bloody infuriating!!!

3 Likes

Kids have just drawn 1-1 we led in the 1st half through an own goal and then conceded a pen in the 2nd.

3 Likes

What ya think today?

Neyland

Navas - Bade - Ramos - Acuna
Sow - Fernando - Rakitic
Ocampos - YEN - Lukebakio

1 Like

Maybe I’ll eat my words but why tf is Sow not starting. Why are we starting both Fernando and rakitic against such an energetic team

5 Likes

Bade does not start :unamused:

3 Likes

Shame Lamela couldn’t make it today. That bench is pretty week on attack.

2 Likes

Agree, seems an obvious lack of dynamic energy and athleticism in midfield, with Suso there too…

Hopefully it won’t cost us before the changes are made in second half.

3 Likes

Anyone else not a huge fan of these alternate kits? The black with pink accents was much cooler.

4 Likes

they remind me of old Barca kits

2 Likes

I don’t like it. It’s rare for me not to buy all three Sevilla kits, but I definitely won’t get the Third kit this season.

1 Like

Pedrosa excellent! Defense good. Attack is lacking and the midfield is absent.

2 Likes

Main threat seems to be from Bakayoko down the right, he’s getting past Pedrosa with ease every time.
Not much coming from us in attack, hit and hope towards Yen who is rooted to the spot most times.
Here’s hoping for better in the 2nd half.

BTW
Is Nyland making anyone else nervous with his handling?

4 Likes

All the time…

He’s very close to making a Youtube-worthy viral blunder

2 Likes

I think we look weak in all aspects, but the score held up.

1 Like

That’s doesn’t looks like handball to me.

1 Like

What the hell is that call?

Never a hand ball.