CDR 2nd Round: Lucena vs Sevilla [20/21]

Gnagnon gets a run out, on for Mudo

1 Like

In my opinion the bloke should have started. Fed up of this playing Gudelj here there and everywhere. Not got anything against Gudelj, he seems a decent enough player, but you have to start to wonder if Lope is getting a cut of his wages or something when a guy who has done bugger all in over 50 appearances (see the stats I posted the other day) literally gets so many chances, slotted in wherever the manager can bung him in.

2 Likes

Gudelj is extremely average - a player that you cannot expect anything exceptional from and that just runs around. As long as he doesn’t mess up, it’s good. Sometimes he plays very well, but that’s rare. I agree that he shouldn’t get this many minutes that he’s constantly getting, it’s very annoying.

2 Likes

Kounde playing kind of a CM role here. haha Lope just went to playground rules.

1 Like

Gudelj isn’t here to score & assist. He’s a DM, and definitely more trustworthy than Gomez in defence, which is why Lope has preferred him at times. He’s a better passer than Fernando as well. I’m not sure why y’all think he’s done bugger all.

1 Like

He has come on several times ahead of Fernando as a CM, and still has 0 goals, 0 assists. Even Fernando chipped in with a few goals last season. :sweat_smile:

I’d rather see an actual CB (Gnagnon) get minutes at CB than a make shift CM. The guy is still young, I’d like to see him given a chance to redeem himself.

Sergi Gomez though, he has already stayed 18 months longer than he should have. :rofl:

1 Like

Gnagnon was a bit shaky when he came on. Lack of match practice, yes, but him & Sergi Gomez would be a nightmare pairing rn. That only leaves Rekik, who is currently giving respite to Acuña. And again, it’s nice that Fernando scored goals, but he’s not here for that either.

1 Like

I want all my players to be scoring, even the keepers, damn it! :laughing:

1 Like

In a 4-3-3 formation, everyone must score now and then. Of course, the players with more defensive duties are not expected to score, but look at Casemiro, Busquets, Fernandinho, Rodri, Fabinho, Kante or similar… they all score from time to time - whether that is headers, shots from distance, scoring inside the box when involved in a certain action/play etc. and also make assists from time to time (the fluidity of a proper 4-3-3 allows for that). Gudelj doesn’t (although he gets many minutes), because he is not decent enough to play in a very demanding formation like 4-3-3, but somehow he still features. As long as he doesn’t fuck up, it’s still ok, but ‘ok’ is not enough to achieve big things, even for a back-up DM.

1 Like

The thing all those midfielders have in common is that they’re on elite teams who know a fair bit about scoring a goal or two. We just had no shots on target last game. Harping on a DM who hasn’t scored yet is kind of a reach.

3 Likes

Busquets has 9 goals in 13 La Liga seasons and 26 assists. Not exactly a stat stuffer.

2 Likes

It didn’t look pretty with an almost full strength squad but these games are almost universally ugly and don’t make the team/squad look good, never ever, even though sometimes we win 0-6 it appears like a failure for the team.

It’s all down to the difference between the levels of football.

It’s just one of those facts of life and a quirk of football.

3 Likes

I take it that it was cold in Lucena given our whole squad wore long sleeves under their kits? :joy:

1 Like

I agree on that though, we are not known for scoring a lot and are often very rusty as a team in overall.

1 Like