23/24 MD21 - Sevilla FC at Girona

I personally think this board isn’t lasting much longer. You can tell from their faces. If Del Nido Senior gets his way in the end they will be booted.

I think this year we will know more as the courts should have reached a decision on the voting situation by then.

1 Like

It’s either that or if we get a new board then it might force change as well.

As you say we need to break the mold and rot at this club. It’s crazy how many old players or washed up players we still have. Something needs to change.

We need a complete deep clean and to get a new era of players hopefully in summer or soon. We will see.

2 Likes

One fact I learned tonight.

Portu and the 2 Ukrainians cost Girona approximately the same. that we paid for Nyanzou

5 Likes

i feel bad for him especially he doesnt deserve to come into the team like this. hes a talented striker and deserves success

1 Like

Ramos needs to be dropped. His arrival was already a touchy subject among Sevillistas. I don’t doubt his leadership, but he is failing our defence. If we get caught high up the pitch, it’s curtains. If he’s caught in a 1v1 against a semi-skillful player, it’s curtains. Let the honeymoon die already. He’s not at his prime anymore. And even then he was a mess at times! Why are we doing this??

Also, how do we have another CB on our books, who was never injured, occupying a 1st-team spot, and is still never playing?? Get Gattoni out of here if that’s the case! Bring in an experienced CB, cause we’re doomed if we rely on Marcao’s fitness, who isn’t even at 100% yet.

And making Nianzou an auxiliary RB was not it. Kudos to him cause he kept his head up no matter how many times he got absolutely torched. The man didn’t have any cover. Such awful match prep.

7 Likes

I think that we are in a space where 50% of the team needs to be cut. I like Romero, I like what I saw from Hannibal, I think Agoume needs a little bit longer to settle in, but we lack composure, we lack thinking beyond our next literal step. I think diversity is an amazing thing, and I think we have a fairly diverse team, but I think that QSF is struggling to find ways to build chemistry within the squad. I literally think we need a Ted Lasso-esque manager to come in and figure out this team. They know how to play football, they get paid a lot to do that, they haven’t played together for very long and they don’t get paid to get to know and understand eachother.

3 Likes

I agree. Call me crazy but what about possibly entertaining him as a striker?

He has been good in the air and in front of goal. He’s second on our team in goals, more than Mir and Mariano combined. I think that defensively he’s past it, but offensively?

Just a thought, probably completely unrealistic, but he seems much better offensively than Mariano at least

3 Likes

I am with you 100%, I think he is more valuable as a striker than Mariano will ever be at this point. Bring Flores back into goal, send Dimitrovich to Atletico, let Nyland be on the bench, start all the youngsters and start investing in our future. Gotta take risks, make changes, nothing is working up to this point, why not take a crazy chance

3 Likes

I agree with the spirit, but not sure that experimentation is what is needed, at least not that big of an experiment. The Nianzou winger experiment clearly didn’t work. The 5-back experiment is slightly less certain whether it is working or not. I tend to say yes, if we have the right players to fill 3 CB roles. And yes, I actuallt think Ramos’ leadership is sort of the problem in a way. The coach now feels bound to him and/or doesn’t have the cojones to bench him. Let him wear a suit and tie and walk the sidelines like an assistant coach, in that case. But take him off the CB roster as soon as possible.

Girona showed yesterday why they are where they are, so I’m trying not to get too depressed about it. If that had been anyone but a Top4 squad, I think we should be depressed. But after all, Girona is a title contender for a reason, and the experiment with Nianzou as Winger and the experiment of Jordan as a sentient human being…both failed.

Hopefully if we don’t repeat those two failed experiments and we aren’t playing against title contenders, we can pick up some points.

Currently looking like having YEN leave for AFCON may be the biggest blessing in disguise of the season. Vamos Isaac!

5 Likes

holy shit i totally forgot about gattoni

tore up the argentinian league with san lorenzo last season and he still doesnt even get off the bench. such a shameful waste of an otherwise young talented defender. there must be another reason that isnt publically known because this shouldnt be happening

2 Likes

It was mostly just because that is where I want him to be because he has been horrible, but I didn’t know that so thank you for the info!

2 Likes

Is Flores a good goalkeeper?
I ask that because for me he played very uncertainly against Getafe.
I didnt seen him in any other matches, so others could say more about him

3 Likes

He is young and inexperienced, but he did well being a starter with barely any notice. At this point why not invest in him, Dmitrovich and Nyland aren’t doing us any good in goal, their market value will only continue to plummet. So I see it as a good time to let Flores get the chance

1 Like

I praise you for wanting to play Alberto but it shouldn’t even be a discussion. He dropped every high ball that should be fairly secured. If you play him weekly in our current scenario you are giving your opponent free chances for no reason. Just because we survived once, not due to but despite him, doesn’t mean we should recklessly try it again. Unless you want more problems. Based on everything so far, it should be Nyland now.

6 Likes

100%, but I would like to see him get a chance now that he has a game under his belt and he can properly prepare himself. He did get us the win against a Getafe team that is better form than us.

1 Like

The league table makes for horrendous reading

3 Likes

Took a step back for a while due to busy weekends and the awful times the games were on. Only caught the Atletico game and was far from impressed, was expecting an L anyway from Girona so not too devastated but there are some facts we must face.

The squad is trash
The players are playing well below what is expected of them or they just don’t care. It speaks volumes when a cantera can come into the first team squad, start and score when he has two others who should be in front of him in the pecking order. On paper there are at least 2 players for every position but the quality is just pathetic, an indicator of how good your players are is if they can make the squad of your rivals; without taking in Real and Barca I think only 3-5 of Sevilla players would make it to A.Madrid, Sociedad or even Girona’s squad. Those with some quality have no drive to give their best or just show up every fortnight and we sing their praises of how good they are. Enough, there needs to be a clearout.

The board are pretty much clueless
Mendi was a good appointment at this time last year but his tactics were always straightforward and he didn’t help himself with player selections. The board then could have done some more due dilligence on the next head coach but went maverick and hired Diego Alonso with the sole purpose of making Montella look half-decent, Alonso’s run totally took any remaining momentum out of the squad and wasted some good fixtures, QSF has a different approach but the 5-3-2 and his player selections have not worked out at all. This shows the lack of planning and foresight of the board who just sit back and let the fans bitch and moan every week.

The drop is a real possibility
As mentioned by some, the gathering of young players could really be a preparation for a run in Segunda, while such a thought would have been horrifying in September I would currently not oppose such a development. The rot from the board to the pitch has been on-going for the past 3 seasons and a clearout on both levels is needed, going down would be the perfect excuse to get the current board out and cut at least half of the squad since they should have a release clause in their contracts. Some clubs did not recover from relegation due to loss of quality and being in debt but I think Sevilla can pull through, the fans are loyal and will show up if there is something to look forward to so it depends on the new board, if the incumbent stays then brace yourselves of this neverending spiral of dross.

6 Likes

i agree with many of the points that youve said, especially about how dropping to the segunda wouldnt be a necessarily bad thing considering our position in the board and squad. im just curious who would make some of our rivals teams because i cant really think of anyone in our squad with that quality.

2 Likes

A drop to Segunda would be disastrous on so many fronts. Money, Coefficient, Prestige, everything. It can’t happen!

8 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure you all fully understand what happens if you drop. It’s not a chance for a clean slate. It’s everything but that. The amount of money we would lose just not being in la liga is staggering

4 Likes