2022-2023 Copa Del Rey Thread

The Draw for the 2022/2023 Copa Del Rey was completed today. Sevilla drew Velarde CF, a team very close to Santander. Stadium seats 2,350

Complete draw below:

3 Likes

I’ve never understood this format, seems so wasteful of everyone’s time. Of course there’s always the occasional Alcorconazo, but it seems like not enough payoff for a very slow buildup to the real Cup. The lower divisions should have to play through some extra rounds like the Champions League playoffs if they want their chance at an Alcorconazo.

For example, tried to scan the left side of the list for a single team that had EVER been in first division and was hard pressed to find one. Hell, most of those teams have never even made it to Second Division, and I suspect plenty have struggled in Third.

The stakes of modern football are just too high for this kind of childish stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Copa del Rey, but I just think you could vastly improve the format without sacrificing the exciting unpredictability.

PS - The only real charm in this model is that the big teams visiting surely helps bring some much needed cash interaction into the coffers of these small clubs. I can appreciate that, but let’s use some kind of Robin Hood tax, not some match which I’d entitle: “try not to get injured while making sure you don’t let this canteranos lose the match and cost you a chunk of your yearly budget”.

2 Likes

Keep it sort of regional for first round or two. Last thing we need is a trip to bloody Santander midweek right now.

3 Likes

That should’ve solved it.

2 Likes

Sixth tier I think? That’s like a Premier League side playing a Conference North/South team.

So a huge gulf between us on paper but I still think that’s the beauty of the cup, more for smaller sides to test themselves against the best teams and a good payday for them.

So I’m all for it.

3 Likes

I don’t mind it, but some of those pitches are terrible and players are a clump away from an ACL tear.

3 Likes

Alavés

5 Likes

Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land

Guess who’s out! haha

6 Likes

Lost 2 penalty shootouts in a week - ouch

3 Likes

Did you see the last penalty where Guido Rodriguez slipped? Absolutely hilarious!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That :poop: Cup kit is absolutely rank too!!! :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Who are we fancying tomorrow for the quarters?

Bring on Barca or RM!

3 Likes

Amazing. So many good memes

Speaking of mocking :poop: , this Twitter handle has some solid :poop: trolling. Not best ever trolling, but just your garden variety good trolling:

https://twitter.com/RealBetisSP?t=BF6bsfv_2fRnkYsYyiBv6A&s=09

2 Likes

Almost scored a perfect Panenka because the goalkeeper had already dived.

In Argentina they’re out celebrating the fact that Montiel took the pen before Guido.

There’s no easy draw but Osasuna or Valencia are the most likely route to the Semis.

4 Likes

Osasuna away in the q finals.

6 Likes

Real Madrid - Atletico Madrid
Barcelona - Real Sociedad
Athletic - Valencia
Osasuna - Sevilla

2 Likes

Not an easy draw for us but probably the best we could have hoped for at this stage.

6 Likes

Congratulations to Osasuna for heading to the final of this year’s Copa. What a winner that was by Ibanez late in extra time.

4 Likes

Just watched the highlights, great match, and Osasuna’s keeper was just a monster to survive that long.

I wasn’t sure how I felt about getting behind Osasuna last night after losing to them three times this year…but now that they’re facing one of the mafiosos, I am 100% behind them for the final.

3 Likes

Also…La Catedral is one of the few stadiums in La Liga, maybe in the world, that seems to compare with RSP in intensity and difficulty for rivals. All the more impressive from Osasuna squad