2018 Fifa World Cup Official Chat

Yeah, Layun really excelled apart from 2 poor shots.

I’m beginning to think that this world cup might break the status quo, but lets see how Brazil do before getting too excited.

With Germany and Argentina stumbling at the first hurdle it could indicate some sort of revolution in the football hierarchy, which would be welcomed by me, certainly I’m fed up of Germany winning on penalties.

And then there’s Iceland, population 380,000 doing major damage to established football nations. Every manager of football should be studying the Iceland system, how on earth can they play at that level. It looks like Euro 2016 was not a lucky streak for Iceland, they had to qualify and qualify for the world cup, something Turkey and Italy couldn’t do.

Some amazing results in the opening group stages so far. Turning out to be a brilliant world cup! Spain for me still look the best so far from week 1.

Spain have gone to second favourite while Germany have gone from 6-1 to 9-1 3rd favourite.

I’ll be at the coast for most of summer now, not much internet there just the occasional ‘Welcome to Morocco’ message when the GPS goes crazy.

2 Likes

Where abouts will you be Tim?

Brazil still favourite… I’m not sure about Brazil just yet. For me Croatia also looked good.

ochoa in goal for Mexico made some great saves, as he did in the last world cup and looked yet again a world class keeper.

So how come when he played for Malaga & Granada he was so bad?

I thought he would have gotten a bigger club in the last WC. That Mexico game was a tough one for me. I can’t pull for El Tri because of the whole US rivalry, but I love pulling for the underdog.

So many upsets.

1 Like

Sampaoli and Argentina lost the plot? Seems like a lot of in house politics and fighting

1 Like

Nigeria provided a second chance for Argentina, so hopefully they’ll at least pass the group stage and then we can see more of Banega (a pity to leave him on the bench and have mediocre players like Meza start).

Yeah completely ridiculous he didn’t play or at least come on at half time against Croatia. Meza can’t do what Banega does. Nigeria have kept Argentina in it if results go their way.

Here’s something to think about. How many host nations have won the world cup?
Uruguay won the first in Uruguay
Italy won the second in Italy
and so it goes …

England won in England, W.Germany in W,Germany
Argentina in Argentina, France in France

Six of the 20 world cups have been won by the host nation, that’s 30%.

You think Russia has a chance to win this one?

No, apart from an outside bet, I think Croatia are a safer bet like you do. Croatia have moved up to 34-1 while Russia are stuck at 67-1 despite having qualified.

Haven’t seen anything concrete apart from Croatia. (well Colombia played well yesterday, but it’s just one game)

Argentina have flailed around, Germany are hot and cold, Brazil haven’t exactly impressed. Germany pissed me off with that last minute winner :frowning_face:

But it’s been a great world cup so far, no trouble from the hooligans and obviously it’s wide open for whoever wants to go for it.

Morocco criminal, no way they’ll finish with 11 players. Red cards second half.

Wow, did Portugal conced a penalty with Spain losing to try and put Spain out? At the same minute Spain equalized through Aspas. It would have finsished with 4 points for Spain and Iran if Spain hadn’t equalised. I don’t know how they resolve that, Anyone???

I think I heard the announcers say that Spain would have went through because of total Goals scored. Either way, I was hoping Iran would pull off the upset once Spain got level.

Banega and Mercado save Argentina with some beautiful assists - they live to fight another day!

2 Likes

And Germany out… this is an interesting world cup.

1 Like

What a great World Cup so far. My teams are out except for Spain.

Are there any folks that you wish Sevilla would purchase after watching the games?

Juan Quintero from Colombia. Great set piece taker, and his timing for passes is sublime. He’d be way more productive than Correa & Nolito, and would force Sarabia to the bench.

I like how M’Baye Niang from Senegal looks in the CF position. Still needs work with his finishing though, which would bring some Muriel-type frustrations. He’s been mostly playing on the wing for his club sides (Milan / Torino.) But with the right development, he can be a deadly striker.