Sevilla v Real Betis - Match Comments

Already the best derby in years! Perhaps it was good to concede early to kinda force the players to play with intensity. Loved the response. Gotta avoid those little mistakes at the back, and continue spreading the play. That’s when possession is best, in the opposition’s half. Banega didn’t linger with the ball either. The danger is coming from the wings so I hope for some better end product from Nolito and more accuracy from Navas’ crosses.

¡VAMOS MUCHACHOS!

2 Likes

That’s a blatant penalty by Guardado stomping on Mudo

2-4

a massive 25 minutes ahead

Holy fuck take Mudo off and we just shit our pants

Fair play to betis! Well deserved!

This is batshit crazy

We won’t give up! Haha

Get Sarabia on now

Well deserved by betis! We have big problems!

That was crazy!

Could have been 4-4 or 3-5 and no one would have complained

Their first win since 2012 in the league against us, and the first time they’ve scored more than 3 since something like 1940…

terrible statistic, but some promising signs for us under Montella especially going forward

on the negative side, we look poor at the back and we are a bit light weight in the centre forward position. Muriel doesn’t offer enough for my liking, Bacca mk.II he isn’t, not yet at least

I’m not going to get too down about this game… it was the best chance Betis had to beat us in years and they did. It is quite understandable that we have yet to find our feet, and will maybe take until next season before Montella imposes his playing style properly.

We could do with some reinforcements in this transfer window… especially up front and in defence

1 Like

Montella cannot be blamed, not before at least around 10 official matches with the team. He doesn’t know the players (beside a couple) and he doesn’t know La Liga, still a lot to learn for him.

I liked our attacking play, but not sure why we took the foot off the pedal when at 2-2?

Also, a fatal mistake tonight was subbing Mudo for Correa. There was no midfield and Betis held the ball for 2-3 minutes before scoring the third goal.

A shocking statistic for the sport of football showed when the result was 3-4, but continued to the end of the match, Rico and Adan = 0 saves each.

2 extremely weak and non-existent goalkeepers showcased their skills tonight, NONE!

We need a new keeper urgently in the summer if we want a serious project, otherwise we’re doomed. Sell Rico and keep Soria, that’s the only way to go. Rico might luckily save a penalty vs. a Segunda team and as Tim said, he proved that even a broken clock is right twice a day, but we definitely cannot build a serious project with a joke of a goalie.

Also the 3rd goal was 50-50 on Navas alongside Rico. Navas didn’t track the player, he simply lost sight of him and it was too late to look back after Durmisi penetrated through the box to get 1v1 with Rico… well, you know what happens on 1on1s with Rico.

It is too difficult to say that I am optimistic in this situation, conceding 5 goals to our arch rivals and losing at home against them, especially that we haven’t lost for more than a year in RSP. However, I am… at least a bit. Montella needs to know that Sarabia should be in the field more often than not, and needs to see ways on how to fix the defense.

Hell, why doesn’t he try the 3-5-2 of the Milan days. Can’t be worse right? Try it vs. Cadiz and see where it leads. At the point that we’re in, about to lose the EL places, I’d sacrifice the CDR for experimenting and focus on the league. CL is history, I just hope we don’t get utterly humiliated by Man Utd. They are white sharks for us and they are smelling blood already from a long distance.

My dear Sevilla… conceding 5 at home from Betis… you don’t deserve this, but times are tough nowadays and when you have a pathetic management who doesn’t sign pragmatic coaches that focus on defense, and doesn’t make the necessary January moves already, and we still don’t have Arana to see what he’s made of etc. etc.

Hugely missing Monchi already!

Betis reacted better in the 2nd half. They knew they could expose our defence even more and patiently dismantled us for that 3rd goal. The 4th goal was one of those 1-2 punches we used to do to teams when we knew we were superior. Forget the 3rd striker talk, we need a defensive minded player.

Congrats to Betis, as they deserved it. This was a classic. But let this be the first & last time we lose in the RSP this year.

1 Like

Well said ShendM

Positives and negatives to take from tonight

We need to move on from the Monchi era, it has gone

totally agree

Betis get to bask in the glory this time, but we must learn from this and never allow it to happen again

How not to defend!

2P3KlKvQV0ynpguZTfPMg

1 Like

The third photo is correct, most teams don’t man mark a wide player in that position. The second is unforgiveable, Navas asleep at the wheel, Corchia dragged over to penalty spot. The first photo shows how we undisciplined we are positionally. (This is exactly what started the Nzonzi saga)

1 Like

I didn’t go to the game because I was totally convinced it would be bad outcome.

A new cycle starts now, and it could be turbulent because we’re on the precipice of a crisis if this new manager misfires in any way.

Disappointed with Sergio Rico, not sure Soria is any better.

Disappointed with Navas. Disappointed with Nolito, he’s not too bad but nowhere near his best.

Extremely fed up of Banega, increasingly fed up of Mudo.

Disappointed about Pareja and Carriço being out so long, they underwent operations but not for serious injuries, if we knew they would be out so long we could have had some loan defenders in their place.

Betis played very well despite their defensive frailties, Sevilla are just a mess.

Montella has a lot of work to do.

+1 for the team being tactically and positionally undisciplined

I had thought the same before the game Tim, although I still took up my seat. I had the feeling that the derbi came at a better time for Betis than Sevilla and was proved right.
After giving them a goal start in the first minute I thought we played ok up to half time and 2-2 was a fair result.
However those 2 goals in 2 minutes due to our schoolboy defending in the 2nd half ended all hope of a win.
After that Betis used every opportunity to waste time, disrupt the game and stop us playing, at one point 3 of them were on the floor faking injuries!
I was impressed by Andres Guardado, their number 18, i got sick of shouting how much space he had every time he ran at us.

Rico, Navas, Mudo, Benega, Correa & Corchia were very poor in my opinion. Muriel did his usual invisible man act after coming on ( I think he touched the ball twice)

Montella has a huge job on his hands to turn the season around, hopefully some new players are coming in otherwise we will be torn apart by Man Utd and end up mid table in la liga which by some miracle we are still holding on to 5th place.

2 Likes