Pre-Season: vs Everton / Mainz [2019 Opel Cup]

Always a great day for sevillismo when we dishing out manitas!

2 Likes

Good job. The pre-season has been very good so far, too many positive signs. I expect Reguilon to get a starting place instead of Escudero soon enough.

Out of all defenders we have, Iā€™d only keep: Carrico, Kounde, Diego Carlos, Gnagnon and maybe, just maybe Wober too (although we exercised the buy option this season and he wonā€™t leave until next season at least, but unfortunately heā€™s too prone to injuries lately). Kjaer and Sergi Gomez have to go.

Rico, Arana, Vidal, Mesa have to go as well. Iā€™d keep WBY and Amadou but it seems that they will go as well. Also it seems that Mudo and Banega are staying, though you never know until the end of the transfer window, still 1 month and 1 week to go.

3 Likes

One player Iā€™m glad we have sent out on loan this season is Juan Soriano. As a Goalkeeper myself it was excruciating watching him play for us at times last season.

1 Like

Very positive. 2 great wins and 2 clean sheets! Our new players getting on the score sheet too. This will breed confidence! Great stuff and now we can focus on our last 2 pre season games before the start of the season, when the true test begins.

We in great shape though and no doubt there will be much transfer activity to come. We not done in market, we may still sign 2 more players and expect quite a few still to go but we should get decent money for a few of them!

4 Likes

This is very interesting, I think Monchi has excelled beyond his highest standard.
What stands out is the immense physical presence, which means we wonā€™t get out-muscled by the lesser teams, and the big question is what is our best starting 11. It would have to include Reguilon, to me, far better than Escudero.
Also, Joan Jordan, Dabbur, Munir, Fernando, KoundƩ, Navas, Vaclic.

1 Like

Are the squad numbers anything to go by today? Who was 23 in the second game and 11? Also noted Dabbur in 7 today he had worn 17 in the previous friendlies.

Perhaps interestingly Pozo has worn 15 throughout all the games so far.

A re-broadcast of both matches will be shown at 2130 CET on SFC. Thatā€™s in about 2h30min. Iā€™d love to see that Mainz match again. :blush:

Just saw the highlights. You would not want to be a Mainz supporter. Especially as they are a few weeks ahead in their pre season and they just got trounced in a 60 minute match.

Nah, they just picking random numbers for now. Once the team officially gets trimmed down to 25 players, theyā€™ll come out with squad numbers.

Para mi:

VaclĆ­k
Navas - Diego Carlos - CarriƧo - ReguilĆ³n
Fernando
JordƔn - Banega
Munir - Dabbur - Ocampos

Dabbur just edges out De Jong for how well he links up in the buildup. Luuk did lack the service, but looked lost at sea most of the time. And hey @aleksa446, your boy Nemanja was excellent in his 30-min cameo today. Looks like another gem from Monchi.

1 Like

Thatā€™s it Edinho for me too.

Also the prior discussion about size, I was really surprised at how big this squad is when I was standing next to them at training in Dallas. Carlos is a monster, Ocampos is really tall for a winger, Gnagnon is a beast as well, looks like a linebacker. Our physicality will be much improved and was needed.

1 Like

Yes please, Iā€™d buy their tickets out of Sevilla if that could help.

About time we had some physical presence, last season we were simply fielding Mesa Banega and Mudo and hoped something stuck, we need the sheer physicality to at least hold our own against the lower-tiered teams and keep the higher tiered teams honest when they play us, similar clubs have Casimero, Busquets, Hector Herrera, Kondogbia and William Carvalho to do their dirty work, we have Fernando with Joan Jordan to help out. We need the Iborras and Krychos back at the club.

3 Likes

Although perhaps not actually Iborra or Krychowiak. :wink:

Yaā€™ll knocking Banega, but heā€™s had a great preseason so far and that pass to Munir today was superb!

Thatā€™s just me reminiscing seasons past lol, Krycho really put all he had in the shirt and made it his mission in life to stop Ronaldo scoring against us. Iborra was dominant in the midfield and underrated as a scorer, scoring an average of 5 goals a season for us, when he transferred to Villarreal in January he was deployed on the wing against us and was a menace.

I saw a bit of the Liverpool game and he mixed in the good with the bad, he usually starts the season strong as we saw in 18/19 and fades in the second part after fatigue sets in, this could have been due to our lack of depth in midfield last year so Iā€™d love to be proven wrong if Banega can maintain his form over the whole season.

1 Like

Banega was superb vs Mainz because he kept it simple. His talent shines through when he doesnā€™t have to overthink things. Iā€™m fine with him staying, as long as he keeps his head and stays disciplined. That might be impossible, cause heā€™s got a thing for yellow cards. He just overdid it last season.

That midfield with him, Gudelj & JordĆ”n was perfectly balanced. Nemanja has a bit more mobility than Fernando, so that allowed them to play at either side of Banega. They could either back him up, or advance play for him further up the field. They provide the kind of protection he had when playing with Krycho & Nzonzi. Add the fact theyā€™re all playmakers and you got yourself a dangerous midfield trio.

3 Likes

I agree. Honestly we have a really strong team and we covered in most areas now. I think we just need a winger and another goalkeeper. If we get Steven Bergwijn and Kiko Casilla that will be some transfer window. Iā€™d keep banega too. As heā€™s still very experienced, a leader and good on the ball.

For the players Iā€™d let go, it would be Mesa, kjaer, Rico, Vidal, Gomez and Arana. Iā€™d like us to keep Ben yedder but if an offer that meets our price comes in and he wants to go then let him. We have 3-4 pretty good forwards now. Maybe we could look to sign one more but we pretty strong up front now.

We are almost set for the season and it should be an exciting one!

2 Likes

(if youā€™re referring to the first goal) It was a great pass by Banega in the end, but when you see the angle from behind the goal, it was considerably deflected by the defender, Banega was aiming for Pozo on the far side but it deflected to Munir who controlled superbly but hit the post. In the end Pozo dispatched the rebound with considerable style. But Banega has impressed mightily with his passing so far. Iā€™m still on the fence I suppose, but Mudo has to go.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Curro_Garcia_/status/1155216480918786049?s=20

1 Like