M24: Sevilla v Espanyol [2019-20]

Win the EL, with Lope?

Lol yeh let’s see if we survive the next round lmao

1 Like

I didn’t hear anything in the stadium suggesting that lope has lost the support of the fans, no lope out chants etc, only plenty of abuse towards Banega when he was subbed.

1 Like

Hear hear, we don’t have the Busquets, Casimeros, Kroos, Modrics and De Jongs to make this tick, a three man midfield requires the players to cover a lot of ground and we only have Fernando who can barely make the grade. Asking Banega and Mudo to the job is asking for a slow painful suicide. I like the 3-5-2 you cooked up, could fit the team better and get more control of the midfield.

Despite a win rate of 100% with the Spanish U21s, a 68% win rate with +105 goal difference with Porto and 70% win rate with Spain Lope has never really delivered anything of note. With Porto he managed to reach the Champions League Semis in his first season but then got routed by Bayern and was eliminated from the competition altogether before the last 16 in his second season. He also failed to win any silverware in his 1.5 seasons there despite having the biggest budget in the club’s history and signing a glut of Spanish players including Marcano, Adrian Lopez and one Oliver Torres. Maybe he’s more suited to the youth teams instead of the senior stage?

2 Likes

Let me train Porto and I win 80+ % of my games as well. You can give me Celtic as well. Does that make me a good manager small chance I might, but probably not. You know im kidding but at the same time it might be truth. It´s the same with teams where a players is that good, you can just ask 10 players of your team to play the ball to your superstar and feed him as much and he will carry the game. Mostly because anybody can recognize talent. Van Gaal, is not afraid to admit that as well. Just straight up said, Pass to Robben in the national team, Pass to Van Persie in Man Utd. And the results show for themselves lol. However for some coaches if you can´t rely on players to save your games. If you haven´t been tested, untill you are forced to actually improve a team and implement subtle tactics and patterns, To make your team stand out and perform better than just rely on quality players who carry your game for you. Thats the part where a top coaches stand out.

1 Like

Made me realize that I think actual great coaches, are extremely rare. Many many coaches rely on past fame, their name, top players, and lucky streaks.
Coaches making mediocre teams look great are where things are at.

1 Like

True that!

Lopetegui fuera. Enough is enough. Feel like we’re gonna end up firing him when it’s several games too late (just like Machin last year in March instead of February). At least if Emery comes back then we’ll be right at home next year in EL which is the best we can hope for if Banega keeps starting matches.