M24: Sevilla v Espanyol [2019-20]

I’m not going to be sad if JLo goes, but god damn it these players have to do the shit they are supposed to do. The second goal was 100% on Reguilon and JLo took him out.

I agree Chris. The players do have to take responsibility too. They not even carrying out the simplest of things. The whole team cohesion has gone but ultimately that lies with the manager.

JLo better be buying Suso a shit load of Jamon tonight. He might have just saved his job.

It shouldn’t save his job though.

1 Like

We have yet to complete a comeback under this coach. It all points to the toothless demeanor of our play coming from him.

2 Likes

Sack the fucking manager!

Suso man of the match. Defense is clumsy when it’s not required to be clumsy, loss of focus and concentration throughout the match.

Get Emery back or a decent coach and get done with this… before it’s too late! (and it might already be).

1 Like

Even with Espanyol down to 10 man, you can see there are little to no tactics other than giving the ball to Suso and navas. That’s 100% on coach.

3 Likes

We have a non-existent midfield. Except for Fernando who is being forced to move forward because of the lack of brave midfielders (Mudo and Banega are pure shit) and maybe Oliver Torres to some extent… we don’t have any decent midfielder. The new manager’s sole focus should be to completely revamp the midfield for the next season. The attacking part is ok with some minor improvements, but without a proper midfield the attackers contribution is nulled.

Also, the defense should be revamped as well, if we could only keep Carlos Fernandez and Kounde that would be it, others are shit (except Carrico, but he’s willing to go anyway).

2 Likes

We are tied for fourth right now. It’s the last chance to get a new coach to bring some new things and usually good result for first few games, and wait for Getafe to drop point for hope of top 4.

1 Like

We got to ditch the 4-3-3. Only elite teams can play that with world class CMs. Play Gudelj & Fernando as double-pivots, and either play Óliver/Suso as a #10, or go 4-4-2.

Banega is a HOT MESS. Couldn’t even complete his usual passes to Navas. Mudo is back to his old ways, so both should stay benched.

3 Likes

If we sack him. We may have some hope for top 4 or to save season to some extend. As if we keep him we only gonna get worse. I can’t believe he’s still playing Banega when his mind clearly isn’t with us anymore.

Even with playing ten men we still struggled to threaten Espanyol. If it wasn’t for Suso magic we would have lost. His tactics are predictable and too defensive. With this squad a better manager would have us much better to watch and with more goals for sure.

We need a new goalkeeper and better centre back to partner Diego Carlos. Navas is not a right back, never will be. We need more pace in midfield. We way too pedestrian in there.

I can see why Dabbur and chica were happy to leave. They could see this coming and never got a real chance under this clown of a manager. I tried to remain patient but these last 4 games have been a disaster. It shows no sign of picking up. If we keep Lopetegui for getafe away we could get hammered there. They going very well at present. Change is needed urgently!!

2 Likes

Definitely, the 4-3-3’s always failed with us, because we didn’t have the right players to do it. We are not Liverpool or Real Madrid ffs. Berizzo failed hard and Lope is also failing with that system. We should go with a solid 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 and be pragmatic.

However, Lope has used the 4-3-3 all the time with all the teams he coached so I doubt he’ll change it, same as Berizzo. Time to let him go before he kicks us out early from the EL, even when on paper we have the squad to be in the semis at least!

1 Like

A proper coach would utilize Navas at RW, his natural habitat (even though he’s playing at RB for the NT, but that’s rare anyway) and get a proper RB that can combine well with Navas. Then play Suso at AM where he would also combine with Navas, Ocampos to the left and En Nesyri or a more decent striker up front and that’s it, no rocket science, it’s very obvious. Of course, Lope clearly doesn’t see that and feel that way, so yeah. Keeping him any longer even if by any miracle we end up 4th (chances are extremely low for that), he’s simply not the right coach to bring us to the next level, period.

1 Like

Given the situation that we’re in, this could also work by the way, a 3-5-2 as the following:

Vaclik

Sergi Gomez - Diego Carlos - Kounde

Navas - Suso - Fernando - Gudelj/Jordan - Reguilon

En Nesyri - Ocampos

Probably not as better as a solid 4-4-2/4-3-2-1 but still much better than 4-4-3. At least we’d be less vulnerable to counter attacks.

2 Likes

I like that a lot actually. It’s also not that complicated to execute and it should give ocampos a lot of freedom to mess up some defenders.

1 Like

There was some proper Machín-like panicking today. We played 3 formations in that 2nd half! Play to this team’s strengths. Then when you see that your favoured system can benefit, you switch to it.

And what players has he actually improved this season? Reguilón has only gone backwards, Kounde is benched for Gómez, and Jordán was dropped from the squad. Who knows what’s going on with Munir, but he certainly deserves more minutes than Nolito.

Watching the game today, i could have said we only just got Suso, so perhaps our play will get better. But the man seems clueless. Even the commentator today said that our team is predictable. It’s sad cause i wanted to believe there was actually something to this guy for having coached Porto, Spain & RM. He’s been getting out-coached by the average La Liga manager.

You’re telling me he’s gonna go up against Bordalás and get something? It’d be the first big game he wins. I admire Monchi for taking risks, but this man ain’t it.

3 Likes

You can’t blame the ref for their 1st goal. he did not see or blow for the foul but was advised by the VAR ref that there had been a possible red card incident, that was why the game was stopped and the decision was reversed.
Watching the tv replays of the incident Gomez was very lucky only to receive a yellow and we were lucky the ref decided that it happened just outside the area.
The guilty parties for the free kick being scored were the Sevilla players in the wall. even Messi could not have got the ball over them and make it drop enough to score from that distance, so why did our defence jump??

Kounde, benched…Jordan, benched… You paid a good chunk of money for these guys and yet you couldn’t find a way to integrate them into your system. Well that’s poor judgment.

Mudo, Banega, Gomes and Vaclik were the part of last years failure and yet we still rely on them to win the matches. Well that’s another misjudgment…

Especially the first three…

Well it definitely seems like Lopetegui has lost the support of the fans, both on here and Twitter he is right under pressure now. Let’s see if Monchi and Castro take action before we end up struggling to scrape EL football again on the last day.

I bet we end up finishing about 7th but win the bloody EL.